Monitor help.

hayden

hey.... my brother is thinking about buying a pretty high class monitor. im not too versed on monitors but any info or suggestions would be appreciated. he wants to get a Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

heres a bit of info.. http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/30lcd?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

from what i can tell its got a good response time and brightness.. but in my opinion i'd wait till the oled's come out because lcds are gunna be redundant soon.

any cheaper but still decent monitors are good & he can deal with a slightly smaller monitor as well if theres some good ones.

cheers

I wouldn't count on OLED's being available any time soon for 'fair' prices.

If you want a high end monitor, you need to buy one with either a *VA matrix or an IPS matrix. The latest variants of these matrices can offer reasonably fast response times, down to 6ms gtg. You do NOT want to buy a TN matrix TFT LCD display, if you're looking for a high end screen.

That DELL you've linked to, is a TN matrix display. Personally, I think they stink. But if you're not interested in suppreme quality they may do, then again, if you're spending cash ona 24" screen, you may as well buy a decent one...

If you absolutely need to have a DELL, the Dell 2407WFP is a better choice, Samsung has some nice offers too and if you're willing to spend the extra cash, Eizo is screen heaven!

I have to agree with TetsuoShima. Stay away from Dell, cause they do not manufacture their on panels, which will either make them more expensive or old/lower quality.

Make sure you get one with a new panel (look for higher contrast, like 3000:1) and a manufacturer that has a ZERO dead pixel warranty.

Guess what, the best flat panel and the only flat panel Ive ever had is a DELL. Ive been using is since 2003 and Ive never had one problem with it. Image quality is still as crisp as the day I bought it and I can tell you Ive had some serious use out of it. The model is the 1702FP Ultra Sharp.

I did however as part of job try to get a DELL flat panel repaired that was no longer under warranty. DELL do not repair their own monitors you have to send them to a third party to be repaired who will probably use canabalised parts. I dont believe a member of the public can even buy the parts to repair them direct from DELL.

I`ll ask around for you as to what others think is the best monitor.[br]Posted on: December 10, 2007, 10:50:44 AM

Made my mind up...........

If you names Richie Rich then you should buy the Dell 2407WFP-HC which retails at £446.37. If however your like me and want the best deal and happy with the close runner up you should buy the Samsung SyncMaster206BW retailing at pathetic £169.90.

[br]Posted on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:22 AM

Ok so you want to know why I said DELL TetsuoShima? Here goes....

- Incoporates the NEW wide gamut colour technology. Using the new phosfur for blacklight. As a result 92 percent of the gamut can be displayed.

- Combines wide gamut with S-IPS technology.

- Execellent angles of vision compared to any other monitor on the market.

- Excellent Contrast.

- The full merits of this monitor are shown in the full motion real life tests. More detail is visable in dark areas in games, when compared other monitors can only manages greys this monitor has colours.

- Ony the Eizo CG241W betters the DELL in regards in regards Blu-Ray visuals.

- Panel includes a media card reader and 4 port USB hub. Inputs include whatever you need, S-Video.....you got it...D-Sub like I said whatever....

- The best in game TFT around.

Happy to comment on the Samsung if that is of help.

- Incoporates the NEW wide gamut colour technology. Using the new phosfur for blacklight. As a result 92 percent of the gamut can be displayed.

- Combines wide gamut with S-IPS technology.

- Execellent angles of vision compared to any other monitor on the market.

- Excellent Contrast.

- The full merits of this monitor are shown in the full motion real life tests. More detail is visable in dark areas in games, when compared other monitors can only manages greys this monitor has colours.

- The best in game TFT around.

Happy to comment on the Samsung if that is of help.

Sounds like a Dell sales pitch... ;)

I wonder what they compared with (2005?), cause it's a well know fact that S-IPS's main down side is less colors, lower contrast and lower viewing angle (fact even in 2006 vs PVA).

I wonder how a Dell monitor (with S-IPS) would do in a comparison test vs "any other monitor on the market" with S-PVA panels (like the Eizo CG241W you mentioned or Samsung Syncmaster 245T)

• 1 month later...

If this is only going to be an interim monitor until you buy a oled one, why not buy a smaller 19 inch screen? Or even 17 inch one depending on your needs. You could save some good money to spend on the new one you spoke of when they come down in price. I myself won't be buying a new pc until the hardware catches up to Vista's realistic requirements (ie more than 2gb RAM) and the bugs in Vista get sorted out.