UK Broadband User - Read This

Chiggy

http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6913783

Yes we knew about this already it makes me sick the amount of money the managers at BT are paid and how much profit the company makes. The government should FORCE BT to upgrade otherwise they should give up the telecommunications infrastructure for a company that will.

There are no excuses if France and Germany have done it.

what actually would interest me is what the other nations actually pay for there "faster broadband".

It wouldnt suprise me if we was paying over the odds for the speeds we are getting compared with germany, france and the other countries.

We are currently with BT at the moment but once our contract expires we will probably be switching.  This is mainly due to BT's deception, when we signed up it was a 18 month contract, the first few months we got the introductory price, them they increased it to £26 a month which was fine.

Now here was the snag, they then sent us a letter saying that they where going to increase the charge for the telephone line and the broadband (it is charged as one). 

When we questioned this as this is a contract as there should be no increase in charges, one advisor said it was due to the extra phone calls, when we spoke to another BT advisor they stated that it was becuase we exceeded the download  per month, and then another said it was due to the charge for the installation and the BT home hub (which is ment to come free).

We then contacted BT again, and they said they could reduce this charge by us agreeing in extending our contract for another 18 months and we would get unlimited download allowance.

So in our view BT are just conning us, first by increasing the charges without a proper answer or justification and secondly by stating that if we agree a new contract they will drop the price.

Were also with BT in Scotland at the moment, but it belongs to my sis in law so I dont really have a say in what theyll change too although Ive dropped enough hints that (for the price and service) Be* Pro or even Be* Unlimited would be a much better choice, but I still cant see how they can squeeze 24MB down and 2.5MB Up through BT's old copper wires. Saying that, they do say 'up to' so well probably get close to the 8MB were getting now. Also they say unlimited but I cant see any small prints about speed caps etc, BT seem to cap our speeds at peak times.   

http://www.be-broadband.info/       

I called BT to complain about my speed. I told them I was being ripped off since the speed of my connection is in fact under 2MB and as it happens Sky give a 2MB broadband connection away free to their customers.

The BT Broadband team in India are a god damn bunch of liars........they tried to convince me that the speed I was getting was good and I live less than half a mile away from the exchange.

If you were someone who doesnt understand ICT you could easily have the wool pulled over your eyes. I started talking to the man on the other end about IP profiles and it wasnt long before he established that he could not fob me off so easily.

Oh and has anyone else noticed that their BT Broadband is constantly diconnecting at peak times...........BT's way of stopping those pesky downloaders..........well bugger BT because most clients auto resume even if the connection stops. Of course BT wont admit thats what they are doing they call it "testing your line". Funny how those tests always happen between 5.30pm and 8.00pm!

You know why they gave you three different answers, because all they doing is reading from a sheet of paper full of excuses. Excuses passed onto them by ICT staff in the UK who know that the India team is going to be swarmed with calls about things like disconnects. I swear if they dont know they just bulls##t you.

Oh and as for that guy who rings you trying to rope you into a contract which he tells you nothing about in his sales pitch......thats actaully illegal in the UK.

funny you should mention that Chiggy, afew months ago we had a call from BT with them saying that they can reduce what we paid each month for our BB, when we asked how much he couldnt give us a answer unless we agreed to extend the contract so we polietly said NO!

I hate sales calls full stop!

These days, Britain just doesn't have the vision for the kind of infrastructure it needs - if it isn't education, the NHS or an impending crisis... people will go "But that costs... MONEY!"

Broadband adverts a very clever worded lies... they never say 8 Meg broadband - you must live in your local telephone exchange to stand a chance of getting close to that speed.

2 megs hah!

i'm with tiscali... <-- lol i know bout their Cr*ppy customers service, but i've never had to use it, so i'm ok (4 years now)..

anywho - i just got their ip-tv service and that runs at a constant 2 meg stream on top of that i have my 2 meg live... (which so happens to, go to 4 meg when not watching tv... lol!!)

20 quid! bb&phonerental&TV... had to get a 12 month contract, but at a total of around £240 over all i'm not that worried, plus i'm saving on not paying BT line rental....