Got a ps3 anybody else here have one have few questions.

gamer1978

Hi I just got a ps3 and during the update after setting up internet connection I saw during the update something about divx support does this mean that you can play divx movies on ps3 now.

And if any body nos how do I go about converting video for playback on the ps3 I no you can do it just not sure how.

And another thing can you download ps3 demos from internet using your pc and move them to the ps3 because downloading them using the web browser in the ps3 seem to go slower for me compared to my pc downloads.

Thankyou for you reply.

I live in Australia and the ps3 seems to be selling more now due to the 40gb version coming out and its Christmas.

So far I no 3 people who have bought one and also 2 relatives who have just bought one each.

There is a gameshop here that is giving $400 off the purchase price of a ps3 when you trade an xbox or ps2 and 10 games.  That is what I did I didnt really play my old xbox anyway except for nfs carbon that I never finished DAM.

The gamestore is www.game.com.au

I just found on gizmodo.com that ps3 users have to wait for the divx codec to be released soon.

The update message that I saw was in preparation for the divx codec.

And if you want to look at gizmodo.com warning it totally stuffed up my Firefox browser.

Also could any ps3 owners tell me what exactly formatting does will it reset the ps3 back to when I bought it.

I am not an idiot I no what formatting does just not sure of how the ps3 system is structured is it like xbox with a hidden partition for the os.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey ive jsut updated mine as you have and saw the same thing.. im assuming it means that you can play your run of the mill divx mpeg4 and avi video files now (i know you can share your video media through networking off your pc, so that must be the go) instead of just the mp4 meaning you'll be able to put heaps more on ur hdd.

The set out of the ps3 is very similar to a psp, so im assuming if you connect your ps3 to your computer over ethernet, wifi or usb & you will be able to browse your hdd and add files in that way. possibly put the demo installer on a usb thumb then install from there.

As i said im just assuming all this from what ive worked from my own reading in the past on psp and ps3, but it should be pretty close to what to do.

With your video conversion a freeware program called '3GP converter' it is really good, its what i use. I just did a check they do conversion for ps3 now, as ive been using it for psp.

Hope some of this helps. if u hav any troubles pm or email me and ill look into it abit more for you, ive gotta look myself eventually. ;D