BFDW100 ... 100

paniq

Woo hoo a classic anniversary style release full of self congratulation and disappointment. Having four stories loosely based on the number 100 seems to have produced some filler stories and made for a disjointed release. The idea of four single story episodes should mean that topics could be covered that wouldn't stretch to "proper" releases, and indeed the cd-extras tracks elude to this point. However I felt that the stories having nothing connecting them other than 100 mentioned somewhere was a failing and something a bit more concrete would have helped. Mind you I tend to listed to a whole release over 2 days so maybe I should have spread it out a bit more.

*spoilers*

This release sees Colin Baker as the doctor in all eps, they decided against multiple doctor episodes partly because of scheduling issues. The four eps are:

- 100 BC

A nice episode on Julius Caesar's conception/birth - well on what happens if you release you've disturbed the evening of conception so JC that sperm didn't meet the egg and what if this meant we had Julia Caesar!!!

- My Own Private Wolfgang

Mozart is so revered that in the future they clone him and a maltreated clone goes in the past to prevent his death so that he lives to 100 and produces a lot of mediocre scores. A nice story that the writer states he saw no way of extending it out to a four-parter without ruining it.

- Bedtime Story

Every time a boy is born the grandparents die, though as it turns out they just sleep for 100 years but still aware - obviously a bummer if they bury you, as has been done for generations. A good story, and a great ending - you have the usual "clever doctor outwits the foe then leaves", only to reveal the doctor's been outwitted this time and the evil continues.

- The 100 Days of the Doctor

The doctor is infected with a lethal intelligent virus and has a 100 days to live to try and prevent his infection. The poorest story of the four and the one that it seems many listeners on other forums moan about. The idea seems good enough, but its full of inconsistencies and jumps through the days fairly fast at many points.

If you read this thread, post a little comment at least, cheers.

I too was disappointed.  Plus they talk about the Mozart story during the Ceaser storywhich comes before the Mozart one on the Disc, slightly annoying and a bit spoilerish.  The best story is the third and it still feels light.

cheers.

Is it all big finish audios you don't get or just some specific ones and not drWho monthly ones?

I've never bought any of them. If they are "shared" then I haven't seen any small enough I could take the time to download with dialup. Would just take to long.

• 2 weeks later...

Its strange if you listen to all the commentary tracks - you get the feeling that they wanted something "BIG" but had to settle for a mixed bag of writers who they obviously sing the praises of (and it'd be their first choice if questioned, obviously) - so classic anniversary style stories you got in 80's who :D