AvP: Requiem - How'd You Forget It?

Tenebrae

This weeks review is spoiler heavy... so if you're going to be surprised by the appearance of aliens... and predators... and who dies... look away... NOW!

The review

If you're looking for a brief summation... it's no Alien or Aliens or even Predator... but I think in terms of feel, it feels closest to Predator (feel only, there aren't a huge number of parallels beyond the namesake). A LOT better than AvP... but that's kind of like saying something is better than getting shot full of ebola, HIV and boiling acid.

I think you can say that both Alien AND Aliens are both timeless classics... and not just in sci-fi. Granted, both very different films - reflecting the difference between Scott and Cameron - but both very good in their own way.

Predator may not be quite as awesome but it was still a fun and quite iconic film.

AvP... well, who knows.

The whole Alien predator franchise is dead. The best advice I can give is unless a big name director turns round and says Ive got this geat idea for an alien film lets make it........dont bother with these small fry directors who are going to do more harm than good. The small fry thinks they are going to bring fame and fortune on themselves by working with well established names, and well established fan bases they are just selfish people looking to further their own careers. If they want to make a Sc-Fi film and they are as talented as they pretend to be then they should come up with their own concepts and stories.

Ive never really rated Alien, for some reason one killer alien on a star ship running around doing damage to me is a tired concept. Aliens was just so big in everything it did. Big music, big script, big characters, big machines, big aliens, big sets, big explosions, big action, big guns, big director..........now thats a recipe for a big hollywood blockbuster............unless the film is titled Water World  ;)

It really depends what you mean by "dead". If you mean, it was stillborn - I'd agree. Paul "I gave Milla Jovoich a part because she slept with me" Anderson pretty much pushed the expecting mother down the stairs after getting her drunk and making her take a hot bath.

Commercially? All depends on box office results. I suppose the beauty of what they've done thus far is, not had any big names or returning stars... hence, not having to plough a lot of money into the actors. Anyway, only time will tell.

• 1 month later...

This one was not better than the first AvP. Sad but true. The first one was quite bad, yes, but it at least had a veneer of quality (Lance Henriksen, for example) and a slickness to it. The kind of thing that usually tricks the movie audience to go see a movie with above average production values.

Requiem felt more like an all out B-movie.

That web page lists Bladerunner as cyberpunk but I don't feel it's exactly in that genre myself. Phillip K. Dick did write many things that could fit in that genre and Johnny Mnemonic was the main one, IMO. The use and importance of Cyberspace is essential to a true cyberpunk story. Gibsons's stories use it quite a bit or they wouldn't use his Neuromancer as example.

Aliens is not really cyberpunk. The culture producing androids of such human-like quality could very well be part of a cyberpunk world but cyberspace is not used in the Aliens stories. It's unimportant to the plot which involves creatures killing people.