Primeval

USWhoFan

It's not exactly riveting. It's pretty much 50 minutes of the misfit team chasing around the CGI of the week. Not really that inspiring. The new timeline offers a twist but it's fair to say that this will never be more than a poor man's Doctor Who.

Doctor Who never came to my mind while watching Primeval. It's really much more like Sliders.

Actually, I think the new Flash Gordon is more like Sliders. The Rift Blaster and the Timer seem to have a lot in common. Just that Flash only goes to one world.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My thought is that if they put everybody back in the proper reality, Primeval may survive.

I'd be interesting to see how they do that without messing with the time line even more.

I was so frustrated by the characters' attitudes toward our hero (what was his name again?).

I believe you're referring to 'Nick Cutter'.

While we're on the subject, can we kill off Cutter's "wife?" The woman drives me insane, popping in, causing trouble, then popping out.

I wonder...

Since the realities have shifted, is her character even more evil than in the "real" world? I don't recall her being so calculating in the first season. But now, she's absolutely HORRID!

• 2 weeks later...

I caught up with season 2... it was OK... I suppose they made an effort to change it from beasties of the week, at least but I'm not sure that they really gave enough depth to the story arc... I mean, it was obvious pretty much from the outset that Leek and Cutter's ex were working together - although, they'd ultimately double cross one another... I'm still not really sure what

I have to say, they DID carry guns considerably more in this season but really, they seem to spend as much time without them as with... and granted, they probably wouldn't be the most effectively against every beastie - something the size of an elephant is going to need, say an elephant gun? - but it's better than walking in with jeans and a t-shirt and hoping for the best. Of course, I suppose they're trying to make them distinct from the military... so if they were all running around with guns... it might make it look all a bit sg-1 and so on.

I think it's hard to actually pin down the similarities to other shows... currently my thinking is Walking with Dinosaurs meets Sliders with maybe a dash of SG-1 and Buffy thrown in.

They didn't go anywhere with the altered universe thing... to be honest, the modest alterations made were somewhat contrived... big base of operations, one person's personality changes... big woop.