Need Help - Network Card LAN - Windows 2000

Chiggy

I`m trying to use a LAN connection to access the internet on a Windows 2000 machine.

I am able to ping www.yahoo.com and I can also ping the IP equivalent so I am pretty sure there is no DNS issue.

Internet explorer seams to really want to connect, it displays the correct IP after Ive typed a URL in the address bar, then times out to "The Page Cannot Be Displayed".

All dial up connections have been disabled and I have set up IE to look for a LAN connection.

On the network settings the IP protocol is installed and configured to obtain an IP and DNS automatically.

There is no firewall installed on the machine and there is no firewall running on the router which it is connected.

Can anyone provide any pointers.

Many thanks in advance.

I can only think of 2 things out of the top of my head:

- there could be a problem with reaching the fishing filter website from MS, but this only applies to ie7 (no idea if w2k can have ie7 installed)

- could there be a problem with the setup of the proxy (one is set up where none is in use or reversed)

If none of those, you could try using a different browser, if even just to see if it's browser related, for example opera portable or opera usb could be usefull here.

Thanks for the helpful advice TetsuoShima.

I`m running I.E. 6 and Firefox on this machine both have the same issue.

I cannot find any instances where there is a proxy setting enabled.

But heres something funny......when I use another NIC in the machine of the exact same model I can connect. I actually thought it might be the router 'remembering' the card but I have reset the router and restored it to factory settings, to test both cards.

I have tried to flush the DNS and all the usual stuff that you would try on machine that has stopped working....howevere this machine has a fresh intall.

Should I just bin the card and move on?

I do have a similar problem on one of my old computers, it connects at random correctly through 1 of its nics and through the other one it always connects fine (so far). I have it tracked down to hardware here (re-install os, re-install drivers and all were no help, driver version didn't make a difference either), probably either the chip itself or a connect on the motherboard (as the 8 pins of the cable and plug are fine), I didn't find it worthwhile to measure through all connections on the chip.

If these are pci cards you could try to have a look at all the different hardware settings for it, possible conflicts and such, maybe even switch it to a different slot, but those are all just trial and error things. If that doesn't solve it, I wouldn't spend too much time on it, a new pci nic is only $10 or so, so not worth many man hours to fix.

I used to have many pci and isa Realtek 8139 and the ISA for quick access to old machines cause it's recognized by windows setup, but in some PC Chips some RT pci cards don't seem to work properly old 8019 and 8029, at least with my experience changing even the intenal sis900 with the davicom 91 and then reinstallin the driver has worked when is not recognized by the system.

Recently here we have purchased two old computer, one compaq with a very tiny case with 256 ram and 866mhz, and the other a Dell Optiplex GX110, (almost same characteristics but this has 20gb hdd) and we only had to buy a dvd burner and installing a sp4 win2000 cd both has usb ports but the Dell is not mini tower case, and home lan is ready and running after in no time (after some clicks here and there configurin lan users and settings beui access only as always :)). 

It's better to buy cheap used branded CPUs, we don't have to do nothing more, nothing to assemble, no bios/battery start up problems, not a single one,  only the cover was removed when fixing the hdd, but with the compag just installing XP was all.