Local ICT Techy - Where I live!

Chiggy

The thing that made me laugh is how he just rolls up not expecting to use any tools, opens the case and doesnt even bother with any anti-static equipment at all.

No offence if any of you guys are a little chubby.....but when it comes to trades people Ive learnt one thing........over weight trades people usually do a crap job. they are fat for one reason only..........they are lazy and thats not a good trait to have as a tradesperson even if it is just shuffling PC components about.

He was in our local paper a few days ago, a customer realised he had been ripped off so confronted the guy. The technican tried to headbut him so with that the customer along with a friend dragged him down the drive way,  beat him to the ground and kicked him. The guy who kicked the technician was found "not guilty".

I think he robbed the wrong person that time.

Wheres Kyran? I know there are many laughs for him to be had out of this.

Well, depending on the area and humidity, anti-static devices or cords may not be used. I tend to ground myself by touching the case or power supply. I rarely need more tools than a screwdriver and a flashlight. The biggest thing I carry is my binder of software disks: a couple of OSes and some freebie firewall or spamblocker programs. Recently added Super Grub Loader disk. I also keep my my business paperwork in a binder: receipt book, ad fliers, business cards.

Since the card was unseated to keep it from working, the video card/cable would have been loose when he checked the back of the machine. This is before he would even open the case. I mean, before you go inside an electronic device, there are things to check outside.

I had a customer once who couldn't get his fax software to answer the phone. It turned out he plugged in the phone cord incorrectly. I only noticed that after rechecking all of his software to make sure he'd installed it right. My bad. I could have left 30 minutes earlier for the same fee.

I`m afraid I'd feel guilty going into customers PC's and causing degeneration of components through  poor managment of ESD ...........of course if I was like the guy in the video I wouldnt care............I`d probably create a repeat call for myself when one of the sticks of RAM starts producing memory errors.

I`m not having a go at you Annot because Ive seen our area DELL technician do exactly the same............besides I think it looks more professional to get the anti static mat out. Ive also got a whole selection of valeting tools in my kit.

Your are of course correct, one should check all wires first. Even check to see if some small child has removed the fuse for fun. That guy was inside the case of that machine in 10 seconds...........the sign of a complete novice.

I have to admit, I've never used an anti static ever, but I seem to not 'hold' static electricity, could be me, could be the environment. In these parts I've never actually seen anybody use 'em. Some things you can do at a customer's house, some things are easier done in your own workshop, but that's just me. I don't like to work at people's homes, so if it's anything 'serious' or if it takes too long, we tell 'em to either pick it up later in the week or drop it of at the store themselves for fixing. It's more efficient that way too, since you can work on multiple pc's at the same time (though I'm definately no mulitasking hero, a few other guys around here are).

The way some firms with expensive on-site repair warranties do it, is they give the repair men a whole bunch of comparable hardware along when they go out and they just replace stuff untill it works, if it's hardware related (the hardware that's returned like that is later checked again and send back for rma if necessary. If it's software, they make a local backup of the whole disk, and do a complete reinstall from a prepared disc, takes an hour and everything is fixed for sure, so the customer can screw it up once again, they have no use for supporting 3rd party applications. The quick and dirty way all around. :)

I like this last way of doing things, but for smaller local businesses, that's not really how you can treat customers, as they expect that little extra from you, why else would they not buy from a larger company (who can probably get the same stuff for a lower price).

The thing is about ESD damage to componets is that immediatly you dont realise you've done it. There may be no difference in performance to that stick of RAM this week, next week or even a year from now, but gradually and surely over time damage will make itself known.

Most trades in the UK have what if called City and Guilds qualifications (there are even ones for for window cleaning!) from day one you are taught to always use anti-static precautions. In the exam (which is a pratical) you will fail if you do not use the mat and ESD band correctly or in an unsafe manner.

Ive been to uni to study ICT and its seams when we were witing code for PIC chips the tutor thought it was some sort of joke that static would sometimes wipe the code from the chips............the man was an idiot.

It takes only 30 volts of static electricity to damage a micro processor and from walking from one room to another wearing justa  coat the everage person generates 30000 Volts. Now that is food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a learning thread here :P

I always use an anti-static strap in a customers house because it does look more professional

however in the shop they never see the light of day

watched the vids lol now they just need to show him in court

And i take a case  with stuff because it saves having to go back out to the car lol electic screwdriver with a manetic end

(saves losing screws) about 20 discs, my 16 gig flash drive with every tool i can find cos you never know lol and a disc cos win9x don't know what to do with flash drives

oh  yes.............. invoices <- what us posh people call the bill, leaflets for their friends and a card with £10 off their next call