Season 5 cast changes

TFMF

Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis is set to receive some major cast changes, it would seem.

I recently posted about how Samantha Carter will be leaving as main character on Atlantis. Well, guess who's replacing her....

Richard Woolsey

Yes, that's right. Robert Picardo will be returning to Atlantis as a main character, and will be put in charge of Atlantis through the fifth season. This may seem weird, but I'm actually rather pleased about this. I've always liked him, and I think he'll be better than Carter, who made very little appearance in season 4.

Jewel Staite

Doctor Keller has also been (unconfirmed) promoted to regular cast member on Atlantis too, so we'll most likely be seeing more of her in season 5. Again, I feel this is a good thing.

As well as these changes, we can also expect guest appearances from Doctor Beckett and Daniel Jackson.

I'm looking forward to season 5 :D

I think it's important to have this kind of... organic cast growth.

It was a definite strength of Farscape that the cast grew and changed over the years... equally it was a bad sign for Buffy when they remorselessly hammered Riley into the main cast, pretty much out of the blue and 7 of 9 entered Voyager's main cast with the grace of a charging rhino... and of course, the obvious example - Colonel Chrichton, who led to so much force feeding of backstory, your brain might be bloated like the contestants of an eating contest.

They've definitely played Woolsey as more sympathetic in recent episodes... although the IOA reminds a somewhat irritating influence in the show... let's hope that they stick with making him less an asinine pencil pusher.

I think that Jewel probably should have been put into Beckett's boots at an earlier point... although, recent episodes seem to have ramped up her involvement... so that's also good.

So, all in all - I think it's change for the better. What will happen to carter though?