Torchwood 2x11 [Adrift]

TetsuoShima

Well, I'm on a roll it seems, so while I'm at it: here's next week's episode thread for Torchwood. Enjoy! :)

---

TORCHWOOD 2x11 [Adrift]

Episode Discussion

[spoiler=Brief Synopsis]When a local teenager disappears, Gwen is drawn into an investigation that reveals a darker side of Torchwood. Hundreds of people have disappeared without trace, but Jack is obstructing attempts to find them. The answer seems to lie in the rift – literally – and as Gwen follows the trail, she makes a shocking discovery.

Feel free to vote and discuss this episode

*SPOILERS ALLOWED!* :D

Try the BBC website, they have this thing where you can watch the episode for a fixed period of time after it has aired. The link escapes me right now.

As for this weeks episode:

It was decent, but I'm still wondering where they're taking this show, they have stories sure, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The gay sex thing: it was bound to happen sooner or later.

The scream: was a rather unexpected symptom, I was expecting something more spectacular.

Hmm not bad. I too am unsure where TW is going. Is it just going to be constant stream mainly of dealing with Aliens in Cardiff each week?

The idea of Jack having his own agenda and keeping stuff from the others might be an idea to pursue - to jack "he IS torchwood" so how would this effect others.

Not sure what the sex seen added (apart from making me realise they were face-to-face  :-\ ), there is the whole "sex in the work place" that it could have pursued, maybe even looking at insecurities of one of them??

So it ended up still with jack-knows-best

I liked it but the whole Jack/Yanto thing was unnecessary and added nothing to the show.

Yes, Jack-knows-best again, but what's really been bugging me is:

Gwen is the newest team member and it seems all of a sudden shes become 2nd in charge, if there is a 2nd. :thinking:

Gwen is the newest team member and it seems all of a sudden shes become 2nd in charge, if there is a 2nd. :thinking:

Yes, she is quite bossy, isn't she. (reminds me of qs a bit) :o

[me=TetsuoShima]hides[/me]

Anyway, Ianto, well, who knows what he does, he doesn't seem to have any special (depends on what you call special of course) specific expertises, besides messing around with 'the boss'. Toshiko doesn't look like she's got much ambition in that area and doesn't look like she'd be able to handle a great increase in responsibility, she seems so fragile. Owen, well ... technically, he's dead, so you can't have a dead man in charge (that whole dead thing is kind of lame anyway, once you start thinking about the implications, no regeneration? He sure must smell awfull then, decomposing, unless his cells have gotten immune to natural aging of material, like somehow his tissue is immune to wear and tear, but that doesn't seem to be the case, but best not to think of that too much, it'd ruin the whole show, such inconsistencies).

I'm not sure that it's as if she's second in command, rather that she's (deliberately) the outsider. It's pretty much her MO as a character, she's new - she questions and challenges Jack. Everyone else is used to what goes on and hence, they don't contest Jack's leadership - not as much anyway.

It's a funny situation really because Jack seems to - in some ways - trust Gwen more than the others... possibly the attraction they've hinted at. It's clear that there is a difference between how Jack is perceived between the Torchwood old school and with Gwen... and of course, didn't Adrift show that Jack was doing the right thing and that Gwen had been wrong to go off and mess around with things?

Yeah... the central theme of this season is that there is no central theme to this season, it would seem.  No story arc building up, just an accumulation of individual episodes.

This one was good, though.  It actually evoked some feelings, with the separation and tragic rejoining.  Sure, it's an often used theme, but this wasn't such a bad pass at it. ^^

Yeah... Jack was trying to save Gwen that experience, I think... but he could have done a better job than he did, or at least told her when it was obvious she would track down the place.

sub-topic:Owen, lol  :cyclops:

I think Owen's body is like most furniture, it doesn't rot easily. it doesn't repair itself. it needs maintenance to remain useful. he's been cut and stitched. he could be stapled if necessary or glued. but, he's going to get ripped apart one day. he moves. that bit of friction is going to wear down his body in tiny increments. joints will wear out. bones will break. skin will tear or be cut. electricity or fire would destroy him. he's dead but his spirit/soul/energy remains connected. he'd probably remain around as a ghost if the body was wiped out.  :P

sub-topic:Owen, lol  :cyclops:

he'd probably remain around as a ghost if the body was wiped out.  :P

Oooh, now there's an interesting thought. For this show, that might actually work. :D

Oooooo. :o

I could go for that for sure. B)