and it is fine

but i can't update any of my virus softwere

:|

it keeps saying internet connection failing

don't say virus

anyhow any ideas :D

thanks

qs for starters you shouldn't have more than one anti virus and

[GLOW=RED,3,100]IF YOU HAVEN'T REPLASED YOUR HARD DRIVE YET IT COULD (MOST LIKELY) HAVE HAD MORE HAD SECTORS[/GLOW]

usally bad SECTORS is a sign that your hdd (hard disk drive) is failing and also is likely to have more bad sectors every week or so

Wikipedia says:

A bad sector is a sector on a computer's disk drive that cannot be used due to permanent damage, such as physical damage to the disk particles. It is usually detected by a disk utility software such as CHKDSK or SCANDISK on Microsoft systems, or badblocks on Unix-like systems. When found, these programs mark the sectors unusable and the operating system skips them in the future.

A modern hard drive comes with many spare sectors. When a sector is found to be bad by the firmware of a disk controller, the disk controller remaps the logical sector to a different physical sector. In the normal operation of a hard drive, the detection and remapping of bad sectors should take place in a manner transparent to the rest of the system. When the operating system begins to detect bad sectors, in most cases, it means that the surface of the hard disk is failing and the drive has run out of spare sectors with which to remap the failed sector. There are a variety of utilities that can read the SMART information to tell how many sectors have been reallocated, and how many spare sectors the drive may still have.[1]

A commonly held idea for operation with regard to bad sectors is that automatic remapping of sectors only happens when a sector is re-written to or re-written with zero-filled data. The logic behind this is presumably that even if a sector is having trouble reading it may still be readable with data recovery methods. However, if a drive knows that a sector is bad and the drive's controller receives a command to write over it it will not reuse that sector and instead remap it to one of its spare-sector regions. This may be the reason why hard disks continue to have sector errors (mostly disk controller timeouts) until all the bad sectors are remapped: typically with an entire-drive zeroing of sectors. See the SMART attribute number 197 ("Current Pending Sector Count") for more information.[2]

yet anther sit with hdd drive information

Modern hard drives are manufactured with extra sectors that are not used, but are held in reserve. If a sector is found to be unreadable, or requires too many attempts before the error-detection checksum passes, then the contents of that sector are copied to one of the spares, and the spare is set to be used at the same physical sector address as the failed sector (which is no longer used).

If the sector is detected as failing before it has failed completely, then this process is "harmless" (other than hiding the fact that the hard drive is failing, and possibly delaying appropriate warranty management). However, if the sector cannot be read, or is mis-read as garbage, then silent data loss can occur.

that i didn't know

[br]Posted on: April 22, 2008, 01:52:26 AM

qs I read in the chat log that you don't have the windowsxp pro disk you can download it and just you the code that should be affixed to you pc if it's a laptop its under the batter ually

the windows key is on a sticker usallt refered to a "coa" or "certificate of authenticity' and looks like (for oem [ie for dell,hp,gateway,ect])

coa_1.jpgcoa_2.jpgcoa_3.jpgcoa_4.jpgcoa_5.jpgcoa_6.jpg]coa_7.jpg

coa_8.jpgcoa_9.jpgcoa_10.jpg

for system builders

coa_sysbldr_1.gifcoa_sysbldr_2.gifcoa_sysbldr_3.gifcoa_sysbldr_4.gifcoa_sysbldr_5.gifcoa_sysbldr_6.gifcoa_sysbldr_7.gifcoa_sysbldr_8.gifcoa_sysbldr_9.gifcoa_sysbldr_10.gif

and for retail:

coa_retail_1.jpgcoa_retail_2.jpgcoa_retail_3.jpgcoa_retail_4.jpgcoa_retail_5.jpgcoa_retail_6.jpgcoa_retail_7.jpgcoa_retail_8.jpgcoa_retail_9.jpgcoa_retail_10.jpg

Well, one thing that happens quite frequently with Avira, is server overload during business hours when they release a bigger than usual update for their scanner. No idea if avg has a similar issue. If you update during the 'quiet times', it usually goes quit fast.

A few things you could do to test if your hard disk is near death:

- Run a disk check from the disk manager with both options ticked, you'll be asked to reboot and on reboot it'll check your hard disk for errors and try to repair them, at the end of the task, it'll tell you if and how many logical errors were found/fixed/unfixable, you have to be really quick to see it though, since it immediately reboots, you can press pause to get a longer look.

- Find out what brand hard disk is in your laptop and run that manufacturer's disk utility to scan the drive's functionality.

-  Run a simply SMART check utility to see if your hard disk's smart tells you something usefull (not very often though, SMART pretty often fails to report most of the problems, even when it should be able to)

- Take your hard disk out of your laptop and whack it really hard with a hammer.

The only times I've had trouble with AVG is when I forgot to update and a sneaky virus got in and wouldn't let me do it unless I did it manually by downloading the latest AVG virus updates somewhere else and installing them.

If it's a definite hard drive failure coming on. Backup your stuff soon or its gonna disappear.

You guys are scaring me by hard drive failure :|

oh

and IE7 doesnt work for me either

since we are on the topic of computer problems and updating

I wasn't trying to scare you qs you trying to give you info on your issue at hand

Regarding the WindozeUpdate site, when I click on the "FORUMS" link on the left, I receive the following page:

The End of an Era

There's so much work to do on the site -

support for more operating systems,

total redesign of the online scanning application,

localization,

ongoing maintenance to the database, etc

But we've been short-staffed for the last 6 months, and the workload has finally taken its toll.

It's not "Good Bye" - we haven't been shut down by MS; and we have no plans to sell the domain name, or turn it into one of those cybersquatter search pages.

But we have to move on. The site will still be operational, but no new updates will be added.

Sort of makes that site a bit useless.

Regarding the WindozeUpdate site, when I click on the "FORUMS" link on the left, I receive the following page:

The End of an Era

There's so much work to do on the site -

support for more operating systems,

total redesign of the online scanning application,

localization,

ongoing maintenance to the database, etc

But we've been short-staffed for the last 6 months, and the workload has finally taken its toll.

It's not "Good Bye" - we haven't been shut down by MS; and we have no plans to sell the domain name, or turn it into one of those cybersquatter search pages.

But we have to move on. The site will still be operational, but no new updates will be added.

Sort of makes that site a bit useless.

thanks tfmf they should post it in a better spot

they need programers

:P

picky, picky people, I never looked at forums there.

I just go to get updates. They come from Microsoft but are rerouted through that site to make it easier. I guess that part still works. I never have trouble updating XP and I have to reinstall it every year.

• 2 weeks later...

I use windizupdate.com for my XP updates but it doesn't seem to want to update IE7 (which I must use to bank online, Firefox doesn't work with my bank's web site  >:(

That's not a problem at all really. You can just download it from microsoft. In fact most updates are freely available from microsoft itself, without any sort of authentication. Only some select updates/programs require you to authenticate your OS prior to download, IE7 is not one of those.

Of course, if you want to grab the updates from MS, you do need to know which ones you want, or else it's not much use. :cyclops:

(unless you use windowsupdate of course, but given all the alternative sites that's been circling on this page, I have to assume your windows isn't "genuine", so windowsupdate won't work for you. Gotta love legal software :cyclops:)

Anyway, get IE7 from MS and be done with that bit at least.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx