Dr Who S4E04- The Sontaran Stratagem (part 1)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 4 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 6:20pm (GMT +1) [/glow]

Synopsis:

Having covertly established a base at the mysterious ATMOS Factory aided by the Rattigan Academy, the Sontarans unleash a potent terror which brings the world to its knees.

Martha Jones summons the Doctor back to present-day Earth, but with the mysterious ATMOS devices spreading across the world, Donna discovers that even her own family is not safe from the alien threat.

Thread locked until after airing

I really enjoyed that 1st part of a 2 parter, a nice mix of suspense and comedy. Heck even Donna was reasonably normal for a change. Some cool one liners from the Doctor, although Ill have to re-watch to memorise them fully.

I dont think the Sontarans should have been that childish looking (size-wise) as I never thought they were that small even back in Pertwees day, just because Robert Lindsay was short they used it as a template for all Sonataran clones in future stories, ah well.

Martha clone looked hot coming out of that bath of gloop, FHM should use that one LOL

The ATMOS in every car thing is just another 'bluetooth headset' for Cybermen plot, using current mass technology that we all take for granted and turning it into evil, doesnt really do anything for me.

Nice to see UNIT again although thy seem to have changed the acronym to Unified Intelligence Taskforce, what happened to the United Nations, its not like it doesnt exist post Cold War anymore.

More comments later when I watch again, but pretty good 7.5 out of 10! The best this year...so far.

Oh and theyve mentioned the |Medusa Cascade for the 3rd time since last year, are we going somewhere with it ya think?

I didn't realise this was a two parter... so I was thinking "wow, this is slow!"

I kind of liked the genius kid, the Sontaran redesign made them interesting. Nice to see the Doctor school them.

Yeah, I'd rate it a good episode. Clone Martha was sexy... but if a girl in goo ISN'T... she's ugly. The RTD obsession with companions seeing their families is so tedious.

hmm, this episode really wasn't my thing, I found it boring, slow, full of plot holes, yada yada.

Why do geniuses always have to be incredibly stupid?

This episode was the worst of the season so far imho. It's clear I'm probably going to be alone in this, still wanted to voice it.

Only one moment of joy, followed by a moment of horror, when it seemed Donna was leaving, I was thrilled, only to be horrified half a minute later.

Some of the Doctor's humor is getting old too, always the same kind of silly jokes...

Maybe it just isn't my day or so.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than previous episodes. I liked General Sontaran dude (Terrible with names). He was well played, and a good villian.

This is actually the first Sontaran episode I've seen (Though I have seen them before). I never realised how....short they were O_O It sort of made them look a bit weak, in all honesty, but they did sort of make up for it by...well, I would say conqueing Earth, but that's easy. :p

And yeah, I didn't realise it was a 2 parter either - but a nice cliffhanger. Do wonder how the Doctor will solve this dilema. (Probably 2 clicks on his Sonic Screwdriver ;) )

One of the funniest bits I thought was when the Land Rover they were driving was trying to crash them into the river and the ATMOS device got confused after the Doctor tricked it into avoiding the river and the dramatic music was building up and up and they dived for cover waiting for a great explosion and the device just went ....'futt' Magic :)

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 4 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 6:20pm (GMT) [/glow]

Synopsis:

Having covertly established a base at the mysterious ATMOS Factory aided by the Rattigan Academy, the Sontarans unleash a potent terror which brings the world to its knees.

Martha Jones summons the Doctor back to present-day Earth, but with the mysterious ATMOS devices spreading across the world, Donna discovers that even her own family is not safe from the alien threat.

Thread locked until after airing

technically is was aired at 6:20 (GMT + 1).. lol

The ATMOS in every car thing is just another 'bluetooth headset' for Cybermen plot, using current mass technology that we all take for granted and turning it into evil, doesnt really do anything for me.

Funny, I didn't even relate the Cybermen's bluetooth thingy with the Atmos plug-in. The difference here is that the bluetooth ear-plug controlled humans while the Atmos plug-in controlled vehicles. Easier to take down a human than a car.

I, too, was thrilled to hear that Donna was leaving and had my hopes dashed when she rattled the Doctor's chains with her cheeky "Doctor Dumbo" comment  ::).

I think the reason Donna is hard to take is the sour look she sports. Even when she smiles, there's no life in her eyes. Martha, on the other hand, was smiling even when she was a clone. Hard to keep a smile off her face.

I absolutely loved this episode, but I do see the major alien enemies becoming pretty darned homogenous. The one common similarity between them all is a lack of individuality. All Daleks are the same, all Cybermen are the same, and now all Sontarans are clones. Could the anti-communistic undertones of Doctor Who be any more explicit?

I really enjoyed this episode, thought it had a good "classic" feeling to it. B)

Not so sure about the child-like Sontarians, in height that is. :thinking:

Yep, also noticed that UNIT no longer was United Nations... Strange. ::)

Another thing I've noticed in this season is the Sonic Screwdriver is not as all-powerful as it had been in the past, now everything is "Deadlocked" and the Doctor can't seem to do much with it. See what happens when a good thing is overused. :'(

One explanation for the UNIT thing is that they might have become independent of the UN since the Third Doctor's days and thus took a new name... but of course, that's just conjecture.  Of course, it could also be because the UN isn't exactly looked on by a lot of people as being at all effective these days... and may be a political comment on the part of the writers. ^^'

As for the Sontaran height... well, given that they were supposed to have originated on a high gravity planet, their short, stocky size is understandable... as well as having a lot of strength.  The height difference is more exaggerated in the new series, though... If I'm not mistaken, they were sometimes shorter and sometimes taller in the old one. ^^'

The clone bit IS a highly efficient way to create a mass number of troops, and it's not as if they don't have individuality.  They have their own names, personally adopted titles, voices, can tell each other apart, etc. etc. so it's obvious there is individuality there and that it's encouraged to some degree, if only to get some inter-Sontaran friendly competition going.

"How do you tell each other apart?"

"We say the same of humans."

... pretty much covers it, cliché as it is.

The evil genius kid in this episode does seem rather slow... but people can be smart in some ways and idiotic in others.  That's not exactly uncommon in real life, much less in fiction where those things normally get exaggerated.

I liked this episode more than many of the others this season.  The Sontarans were consistent at the very least, and that scores points with me.  Can't wait to see the finale of this story. ^^

It'd be cool if they managed to work in the Rutans somehow, but something tells me a snowball has a better chance in hell than having THAT happen.

Typically, genius in TV land tends to be of two varieties. There's the save the day type of genius - Data pushing a few buttons to stop the universe exploding, Macguyver making a particle accelerator out of a shoebox, Carter talking a problem into submission etc. and then there's the "take over the world genius" who can invent pretty much anything but always forgets to just shoot people when he has the chance.

That's mostly because it's hard to write someone who is smarter than you are... although, last time I checked there were apparently 7 distinct forms of intelligence.

I think that Dr. Who is pretty uneven when it comes to 2 parters... it often feels as if they just drag out the first episode...

I rather liked the Sontaran design and their attitude. It's somewhat surprising they've got the boy genius with them... I'm guessing there will be a double cross there... I've just not decided whether it'll be by him or them.

It'd be cool if they managed to work in the Rutans somehow, but something tells me a snowball has a better chance in hell than having THAT happen.

For a brief moment I thought that green gloop would have contained a Rutan, but alas no, still, we got a very sexy Martha clone in compensation! LOL