Dr Who S4E06 The Doctor's Daughter

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 6 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 6:45pm (GMT +1) [/glow]

Synopsis:

The Doctor lands on the remote planet Messaline as an age-old war rages and the threat of genocide looms. When Martha is kidnapped by the Hath - militaristic humanoid but fish-like monsters (see left) - the Doctor is distracted by "the most important woman in his life."

Peter Davidson's daughter appears in this weeks episode.

mofdavDM0604_468x460.jpg

Georgia Moffett, daughter of former Dr Who timelord Peter Davison (left), will play the part of a woman who claims to the daughter to the current timelord David Tenant

georgina_228x320.jpg

Bizarrely she will play the part of a woman who claims to be the child of the current timelord, played by David Tenant.

Moffett, 23, who is the daughter of Davison and his former wife, squeaky voice US actress Sandra Dickinson, makes an appearance in the sixth episode.

Insiders are saying very little about her part other than she claims to be the daughter of Doctor Who, a claim of which the sci-fi hero is "dubious".

Original Source

Fear not,

the title doesnt portray what we all think.

I was both pleasantly surprised and a bit disappointed in the revelation of the story. An altogether dull story in a way with a typical and predictable ending, but of course a nice twist in the epilogue, which was also predicted as the story neared its end.

Perhaps she'll pop up again toward the end of this season or maybe in a future season, who knows , she may even get her own series :) Nothing surprises me anymore LOL

Since were pretty much half way through this series, no more signs of anything building up toward a big finale, I was hoping 'the Source' in tonights show would be some kind of link to Davros or something.

Agatha Christie et al next week, not really looking forward to it that much but maybe itll have a nice surprise and not just an historical period story like Black Orchid.

I loved it! Brings up some questions regarding regeneration though:

is the first one a freebie? Or does Jenny come back to life only as a side effect of the terraforming process? (notice the similarity between the color of the mist exuded from her mouth and the mist from the orb.)

oh hardy ha

i mean't the whole planet thing regenerating

it is too early for me to explain

but u all know what i mean

Aha! I get you now. You're absolutely right. I didn't think about that. It's been a long time since I've seen The Search For Spock.

Yeah... this was not particularly impressive. I didn't particularly like what's her name for the role of "daughter".

And yes, so predictable that she'd die protecting the Doctor and then come back to life after he frakked off home.

All in all, it was a weak episode. The only bit of interest was the Doctor talking about his family. The rest of it was pretty by the numbers. The fatality rate amongst the troops must have been pretty much 100% if they're implying no one could remember they'd been fighting for 7 days. The Haath were ok... but Martha's role seemed pretty pointless... to the point where it didn't seem to matter if she was there or not.

I liked it, but it sorta bugs me that Martha is always getting carried away by the alien of the week, can't she stay out of trouble?  :thinking: ;D

I liked the girl playing the Doctor's Daughter/Clone. Kinda hot. :o

Wish she would have gone with them instead of returning to life after they left. (Not ready to say regenerate yet, especially since she didn't change forms.)

It'll be interesting to see how the whole Daughter thing plays out later on.

Ok episode, not spectacular, but nothing too frustrating about it either.

The part were the alien dies to save Martha and the death and resurrection of the daughter were the only 'frustrations' in this episode.

They must have something special planned for the daughter, it would have been much more logical to take her with them. And the doctor giving up so soon, what's up with that? O_O

Not sure what top think about next week's episode, could be very good, but could also be very lame. We'll see next week I guess.

maybe in some strange way the daughter comes across rose

I was sorta expecting her to regenerate into Rose, or at least look like her afterwards.

Maybe this is how they will get past the regeneration issues, she'll pop up again once all the Doctor's regenerations are finished and continue the series. :thinking:

Okay, I'm jumping into this one (at last). The Doctor's Daughter -- we all knew she wasn't dead. We knew she'd snap out of it and the Doctor should have known it, too. But as others have already stated, he did the "dad" thing, then left her on the planet.

I mean, come on. She had two hearts. She was smart as blazes. We won't even discuss her athleticism. She was a female "Doctor," genetic make up and all. Of COURSE she was going to stick around for the next act. At least dear old dad could have stuck around and offered her a cupper to help her get going again. Just because she didn't morph into a new being doesn't mean a thing. Or...

...it DID mean something because she was working on the same life regen number as the Doctor was and couldn't evolve beyond him. :?:

I'm going to be honest, I found this a silly episode. I did not enjoy it much at all.

There far too many convenient and obvious moments in the episode. The daughter coming back to life, the daughter's existance being "a paradox", and Martha's reaction to the Hath's death was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fake - I mean really, why cry at all?

I almost threw up when, at the end, the humans and the hath seemed to "hug and make up" just because that orb thing was opened.

I'm sorry for those that enjoyed the episode - these were just my opinions on this episode.

Oh, and btw...apparently the Blakes 7 theme tune music was played at the very end of this episode for 10 seconds. Interesting trivia for you...

Okay, I'm jumping into this one (at last). The Doctor's Daughter -- we all knew she wasn't dead. We knew she'd snap out of it and the Doctor should have known it, too. But as others have already stated, he did the "dad" thing, then left her on the planet.

I mean, come on. She had two hearts. She was smart as blazes. We won't even discuss her athleticism. She was a female "Doctor," genetic make up and all. Of COURSE she was going to stick around for the next act. At least dear old dad could have stuck around and offered her a cupper to help her get going again. Just because she didn't morph into a new being doesn't mean a thing. Or...

...it DID mean something because she was working on the same life regen number as the Doctor was and couldn't evolve beyond him. :?:

Personally, I think the Doctor knew Jenny wasn't really dead, but figured it would be better in the long run to leave her behind for whatever reason. (Like how he left Jack behind in Parting of the Ways). Her apparent "death" also gave him an out from having to hear Martha's and Donna's guilt trips and protestations of doing so.

Regarding "working on the same life regeneration": that doesn't make any sense. Jenny is his daughter, not a clone.

Oh, and btw...apparently the Blakes 7 theme tune music was played at the very end of this episode for 10 seconds. Interesting trivia for you...

Oh well spotted my man. Of course it wasnt the whole theme tune, but yes most definitely the B7 orchestra in action! Just those key notes was enough...I wonder why they did that, I saw no link to B& at all.

Regarding "working on the same life regeneration": that doesn't make any sense. Jenny is his daughter, not a clone.

Hm, not a clone. Although it appeared the technology may have possibly been a cloning device. Pop in a hand, scrape-swab-scrape, out pops a daughter? Does that mean the Doctor only has X-X chromosomes in his hand?

And what was up with the close-up shot of the Doctor's hand in the jar? There's got to be some sort of significance being alluded to here. But I just can't wrap my mind around it now. Thoughts?