Iron Man suits for real

Amnot Borg

Robotic suit could usher in super soldier era By MARK JEWELL, AP Business Writer

Rex Jameson bikes and swims regularly, and plays tennis and skis when time allows. But the 5-foot-11, 180-pound software engineer is lucky if he presses 200 pounds — that is, until he steps into an "exoskeleton" of aluminum and electronics that multiplies his strength and endurance as many as 20 times.

The [u.S.(sic)] Army believes soldiers may someday wear the suits in combat, but it's focusing for now on applications such as loading cargo or repairing heavy equipment. Sarcos is developing the technology under a two-year contract worth up to $10 million, and the Army plans initial field tests next year.

Before the technology can become practical, the developers must overcome cost barriers and extend the suit's battery life. Jameson was tethered to power cords during his demonstration because the current battery lasts just 30 minutes.

But the technology already offers evidence that robotics can amplify human muscle power in reality — not just in the realm of comic books and movies like the recently debuted "Iron Man," about a wealthy weapons designer who builds a high-tech suit to battle bad guys.

At least we know we're on our way, and maybe, just maybe, i might see something decent come out of it before i die. :P

I'm personally hoping they get the bugs out of the technology to re-grow nerves or connect them to exo-suits that will allow the handicapped to function more like everyone else. the beginnings of Borg or Cylon, maybe but I want it.

At least we know we're on our way, and maybe, just maybe, i might see something decent come out of it before i die. :P

I'm personally hoping they get the bugs out of the technology to re-grow nerves or connect them to exo-suits that will allow the handicapped to function more like everyone else. the beginnings of Borg or Cylon, maybe but I want it.

Imagine the times you'd be getting at the Paralympics once the tech was ironed out.. 100m sprint in 5 seconds maybe. :P

Imagine the times you'd be getting at the Paralympics once the tech was ironed out.. 100m sprint in 5 seconds maybe. :P

could be... but I was thinking, yay, I can have a new hand again like Luke Skywalker or legs that will let somebody stand up to hug their kids. I know their are people with uncommon problems that prefer to treat the situation as if they have no problems(re: some deaf people do not want to hear and are upset if offered tech that might offer them that ability) but most disabled people weren't always that way and might prefer being able to join other people in walking on the beach or something.