subject? LCars i guess?

b33znutz

Voyager had a number of grey LCARS panels. I think it was an aesthetic decision by the set designers.

Check out the old game 'Star Trek: Captain's Chair'. The Voyager bridge in the game has several of these panels.

Ah... LCARS... 300+ years into the future and people are still mashing buttons.

I guess in the 60s that might have seemed like the future - like moon colonies by 1999 - but seriously, we waited until NEMESIS to see them use wireless. The Borg were supposedly wicked cyborgs... but NO ONE in the Federation seemed to even have a bluetooth earpiece. Sure, the pace of technological progress is hard to predict but Star Trek present us this magical, vanilla future where people are easily able to understand warp core theory like it was the ABC (hey, Neelix claimed to be an expert - case closed)... yet 99.9% of everyone human is... just that. Human. No genetic engineering - that's illegal... and while the Federation is tolerant and all, if you're genetically modified - you're subhuman scum. Also... cybernetic implants clearly aren't in vogue... because no one seems to wear them except 7.

And yes, I'm feeling contemptful toward Star Trek at the moment... IT'S BRAIN IS GONE!

Ah... LCARS... 300+ years into the future and people are still mashing buttons.

good call. the best they can do, is buttons with words/codes on them. and was it riker that said something like ".. we havent used single character (or whatever) interface in 100 years (or whatever)... thats a long time to only have touch and partial voice interfaces. (i say partial because as we all know, the comp couldnt do everything via voice com)

I recall someone once commending Legend Of The Rangers because it had actually used something other than buttons - woman in kind of a holographic chamber, punching at the ships fly around her... and yes, it was cheesy and stupid watching her do that but it WAS original... possibly because no one else would think "let's do that!"

But yeah, you'd think they could just do everything by telling the computer to do it... Why does Janeway need to tell Torres to push the buttons to realign the warp manifold... Really, it seems unnecessary. It's not like shouting at someone who's got to relay the command to someone who's trimming the sails...

I recall someone once commending Legend Of The Rangers because it had actually used something other than buttons - woman in kind of a holographic chamber, punching at the ships fly around her... and yes, it was cheesy and stupid watching her do that but it WAS original... possibly because no one else would think "let's do that!"

forgot about that. nice! dude, ur like an uber-geek! all hail!

But yeah, you'd think they could just do everything by telling the computer to do it... Why does Janeway need to tell Torres to push the buttons to realign the warp manifold... Really, it seems unnecessary. It's not like shouting at someone who's got to relay the command to someone who's trimming the sails...

exactly what im sayin. wow.. i just notice that voyager is on tv! its 9am! guess im not usually up this early! hahaha.... Paris just hit warp ten! transwarp! oooooooooo! if they can get it to work they might get home! hehehehehe...... im an ass...lol

In the Voyager finale, Janeway has a mind-controlled interface in her shuttle from 20 some odd years in the future.

thats right. but wasnt that like a prototype, or alien, or could hurt kill her or somethin like that? either way, still the most adv interface tech SF had come up with (and like above, maybe SF didnt even come up with it!)

Maybe, people like tom and the delta flyer, still wanted to be able to control something tactally (sp) they want to feel like they are doing something. I see interfaces with the brain as something that is NEEDED if you need to control several things at once. IE Warp field, weapons, navgation, life support, armour, sheilds, etc... I really don't see much difference between the laptop that i'm using to type this and the computers that officers have on their desk in the 24th century, just whats inside... But even it only has six buttons or whatever... I'm sorry i'm ranting, but I really don't see a person just sitting there talking to no one, or even better, just sitting there and thinking through space, people need to do something. I'm prolly going to get flammed for this.

Oh sure, there are examples of things that aren't LCARS... There was the girl Odo did on DS9 who had a dataport in her head (someone had something identical later on), Tom flew that ship with the neural interface that made him go a little crazy.

I'm not saying that these interfaces don't exist, I'm saying their usage is the exception and not the rule.

Maybe, people like tom and the delta flyer, still wanted to be able to control something tactally (sp) they want to feel like they are doing something. I see interfaces with the brain as something that is NEEDED if you need to control several things at once. IE Warp field, weapons, navgation, life support, armour, sheilds, etc... I really don't see much difference between the laptop that i'm using to type this and the computers that officers have on their desk in the 24th century, just whats inside... But even it only has six buttons or whatever... I'm sorry i'm ranting, but I really don't see a person just sitting there talking to no one, or even better, just sitting there and thinking through space, people need to do something. I'm prolly going to get flammed for this.

I think you're on to something. Maybe the tactile interfaces just make it easier for viewers to relate.

I'm not really buying the need for tactile interfaces, OK Tom likes to play with his idiotic joystick - you could tell Tuvok wanted to slap him for that - but that doesn't seem to be the norm... I think it's another one of "those things". If you had everyone hooked into some kind of mental interface... it might make bridge sequences kind of dull, that or you'd have to spend a fortune on CGI (just think of the sequence in Matrix Reloaded where the Nebuchadnezzar docks at Zion - they've got a bunch of people hooked into the construct so they can push buttons and dodas in there... although, in itself that's probably more to do with the fact that's easier than building a control room... or something, what am I - the answer man?)

Anyway, if you could just shout "Plot course, warp 7, engage!" then... well, there's not much for anyone else to do. Button pushing gives people... well, A task - if not an interesting one. I mean, Torres would pretty much be reduced to standing around and shouting at people if she didn't have to run around pushing buttons... isn't it great how they have to do that? You'd think you could just use one console to do stuff... but no.