Voyager Retrospectives - Latent Image

Tenebrae

So, it starts out with el Doctor doing a physical checkout with a treknobabble photograph, which he expositions to Naomi Wildman... you get the feeling she's training up to be Neelix 2 from this. Anyways, turns out Harry Kim has some surgery the DOCTORRRRR didn't remember. MYSTERY!

Doc heads over to the Captain to do her physical. He mentions the surgery - like Hazza, she denies all knowledge of it. The Doctor heads to see 7 of 9 to ask about his memory loss, she tells him she'll come fix him in an hour. An hour later, 7 turns up - the Doctor is oblivious to the goings on... turns out his memory was deleted.

7 takes a look and finds the missing parts of the Doctor's memory, as well as some pretty pictures. We get a few flashbacks of - yes, you guessed it - an ensign we've never ever heard of... lot of them on Voyager. After this, the Doctor goes to bitch at Janeway about this. She admits she manipulated his program and says she will do it again.

Here's the crux of the episode... Janeway has oft let the Doctor evolve and grow... yet, here she's treating him - for the second time apparently - as basically a bag of nuts and bolts. Yet another total U-turn! Hoorah for captain inconsistent. Anyway, after hearing about this reprogramming, 7 goes to smooch with Janeway. This results in Janeway deciding to let the Doctor know what happened.

So, we replay the whole scenario... aliens of the week appear zap Hazza, ensign random and Doctor. He survives, saves the day but has to save Hazza and Random... as it goes, he only save Hazza (why?) and ensign Random is deaded. Naturally, this makes the Doctor go MENTAL. The death of someone never bothered him before but... now it's driving him nuts.

After this the Doctor goes... well, a bit nuts again. Apparently Janeway want him to man it out!

I have one major gripe with this otherwise pretty good episode - it has no redeeming ending and leaves the most interesting part (how does the doc recuperate?) out. Come to think about it, there's basically no coda at all in this one.

By the way, nice rant ;-) Go Go Ensign Random …

I thought it was a really good episode.. Do you have an opinion on it? The doctor evolved as a character quite a lot in that episode, it was good for him i feel. After that there seemed to be more and more episodes with the doctor.

Oh, it's a good episode... because it highlights both Janeway's utter lack of good decision making... AND it centres on the Doctor.

It highlights the idiotic nature of Voyager - that is to say another ensign no one something happens to... which is supposed to be deep but as we've never heard of them before one just shrugs... uh, these people get toasted all the time and no one bats an eyelid and suddenly we're having services and it's all important?

I agree with you totally dabrood... they got too carried away in the mandatory Voyager formula (at least there wasn't a pointless subplot) for it to excel... We're too bogged down in the "mystery" aspect of the episode and relatively little attention is paid to the Doctor's recovery. Which is - fundamentally - what you'd think the focus of a Doctor-centric episode would be... but no, instead we centre on Janeway's flip flopping and then get the Doctor, clearly still trying to resolve the conflict.

I think it did a good job of highlighting the good and the bad of Voyager.

The episode certainly showed Janeway's tendency to make those kinds of flip-flops. When presented with a real problem she does not know how to act, this is not the hallmark of a leader.

"Oh I'll just do whatever!"

She does that in a lot of episodes. Even in 'State of Flux', her reaction demonstrated yet again that she was not ready for command of a starship. How she got command of Voyager evades me. In 'State of Flux' I would have gone after Seska and used the 'unique technology' under my command to capture her.

On other occassions she showed that she could not command. Taking advice from subordinates is ok, relying on them to make command decisions demonstrates a lack of leadership on her part. I've felt that Chakotay would have made a better captain. On more than one occasion he demonstrated more sound judgement than Janeway. Sometimes she even looked like a bully compared to him.