Check this out!

TetsuoShima

These are some awsome pics from inside a nuclear reactor.

They were posted at a different forum, so I'm not sure whether it's okay to post the link here, but I'll just take my chances. btw this forum holds some more interesting threads if you're interested, but also a lot of bullshit, so be warned if you begin to nose around.

Check it out!

Had visit a nuclear reactor before. You have to get into a lot of security just to see. If a particel nuclear detected on the cloth you wear, their strip you. The last check point is the most part you have to fear, it's detemined you can go out or not.

But it's a exciting experience. I can see used plutonium in front of my eyes.

And I couldn' t find Homer too :)

Had visit a nuclear reactor before. You have to get into a lot of security just to see. If a particel nuclear detected on the cloth you wear, their strip you. The last check point is the most part you have to fear, it's detemined you can go out or not.

But it's a exciting experience. I can see used plutonium in front of my eyes.

And I couldn' t find Homer too :)

Come to McMaster University in Ontario,Canada. They have a reasearch reactor. It powers the campus. Tours are run Mon, Wed, Thurs. Every week. Also, great site.

I used to work at a nuke plant, and I could stand for hours just staring at the blue glow in the spent fuel rod storage pool :) Almost hypnotic.... thinking about how something so potent, when placed in a simple pool of water, becomes a harmless thing of beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this not a security thing?? I thought you mustnt publish any pics and specs about nuclear plants because someone/something then becomes very insecure...

I used to work at a nuke plant' date=' and I could stand for hours just staring at the blue glow in the spent fuel rod storage pool :) Almost hypnotic.... thinking about how something so potent, when placed in a simple pool of water, becomes a harmless thing of beauty.[/quote']

I wouldnt like working in sucha plant....too much fear of getting "radioactivated".....!!!!!!!!

I used to work at a nuke plant' date=' and I could stand for hours just staring at the blue glow in the spent fuel rod storage pool :) Almost hypnotic.... thinking about how something so potent, when placed in a simple pool of water, becomes a harmless thing of beauty.[/quote']

I wouldnt like working in sucha plant....too much fear of getting "radioactivated".....!!!!!!!!

Unless your planning to get a job in the nuclear reactor of south-east Ozjaknistan, you won't be "radioactivated" anytime soon.... :p

Is this not a security thing?? I thought you mustnt publish any pics and specs about nuclear plants because someone/something then becomes very insecure...

Mmmm... there is plenty of public info on nuke plants, inculding who-knows-how-many pictures, many published by the utilities themselves.

As far as becoming "radioactivated"... hehe... I could go into details about how you recieve so much more radiation outside on a sunny day blah blah blah, but I won't. Bottom line is that radiation is really dangerous, BUT it is also very easy to shield. Water is an excellent shield against radiation... If is remember right, 2 feet of water is equivalent to 2 inches of lead, which is a "tenth thickness" of shielding. Put a tenth thickness between you and a radiation source, and you only get one tenth the dose. Put two tenth thicknesses there, you get 1/100. It multiplies. So imagine how much radiation can get to you through 8 feet of water. Almost none :) And I think the waste was about 15 feet under water (or something like that).

I just dont understand why we would want nuclear reactors when they create such terrible waste.

Probabally has something to do with the demand for power constantally going up, and windmills, solar panels, and turbines not being a viable alternative to nuclear fusion.

Probabally has something to do with the demand for power constantally going up, and windmills, solar panels, and turbines not being a viable alternative to nuclear fusion.

We need to settle for nuclear fission until we figure out how to sustain fusion. ;) But, this is a Science FICTION board, so I'll just assume that you were thinking of future reactors. :D

Well, I think countries just need to develop som nice rivers and lakes so that they can build some big dams like Canada has. ;). ut in all seriousness, the dams in Canada (I live there BTW) are great sources of power. We are lucky to have so many lakes and rivers.

i think that nuclear power in the uk is the way forward. our energy demands are too large to continue to rely on fossil fuel and the climate issues to delicate -which is pretty debatable, suffice to say that we are overdue a cold spell - but why they have to put reactors on the mainland is beyond me.

plans have been developed for safe disposal of nuclear waste so i dont see why the cant go ahead

i think that nuclear power in the uk is the way forward. our energy demands are too large to continue to rely on fossil fuel and the climate issues to delicate -which is pretty debatable, suffice to say that we are overdue a cold spell - but why they have to put reactors on the mainland is beyond me.

plans have been developed for safe disposal of nuclear waste so i dont see why the cant go ahead

You are right of course, there is no way of replacing fission power with traditional power (pollution) or modern power (solar/wind/waves), the first is no better for the environment than nuclear fission power and the second just cannot possibly deliver enough energy to fill the need. Fission power is the only way to go untill the development of a stable sustainable fusion reaction. We do have to be very carefull with the waste however and we also have to make the price of energy a lot higher so people will use it more sparsely.

When fusion power is developed, this will create a whole new problem: water will inevitably become quite a bit more costly, since at that time it will be used to keep the rivers and oceans filled for people/animals/plantlife, but also to create energy. And more important, the balance of nature will be disturbed by this in the long run, since fusion power makes helium out of hydrogen, so we will actually be consuming water, it won't be replaced. Of course, it will take quite some time before the effects will be noticed, but in the end they will.

Concluson: People should ALL learn to use energy more responsibly and sparsely, all devices should be developed in such a way that they consume the least amount of energy possible, waste of energy is a big NO NO. And finally, even if we stick to these rules (we will only postpone the inevitable), at some point in time society as we know it will cease to exist, since we will have depleted all known major easy to use energy sources and we will become solely dependant on Solar power for our energy.

This of course is some time way in the future.

The best solution I can think of right now, that would allow us the most leverage in the long run, is the construction of a Dyson-sphere. This would however be an enormous task and I don't think humanity or our technology is up to the task at the moment.

It is of course also possible that a whole new energy source is found, that would also be solution to the given problem, it is however, not very likely.

Unfortunately here in Australia we have reached the extent of hydro power as nothing remains to be dammed. Wind power on a large scale is also not practical as we dont have reliable wind speeds in most of the country.

the best alternative for us is the 200MW solar thermal towers that are currently planned. Once completed they will be the tallest structures in the world standing 1km tall and 10 square km at the base. We certainly have the space for them, and the sunlight B)

• 1 month later...
Well' date=' I think countries just need to develop som nice rivers and lakes so that they can build some big dams like Canada has. ;). ut in all seriousness, the dams in Canada (I live there BTW) are great sources of power. We are lucky to have so many lakes and rivers.[/quote']

I live in Sweden and we have many water powered powerplants but we dont have enough rivers to support all our powerconsumtion so we have nuclearpower plants too.

We get like 49% of our electrisity from water and nearly the same from nuclear, and we get a small procentage from other things, like wind, sun, and some fossile fueled power plants.

The Gouvernment made a "plan" back sometime in the 80s to remove all the nuclearpower plants before 2010 or some thing but there's not nearly enough alternative powersources to support our consumtion. But i think they wont close them down (not all of them anyway) beacouse we dont have anything to replace them with.

They have closed one of the nucelarplants down and already we dont produce enough energy so we have to import it from other countries like Poland and Germany and that energy comes from fossile fueled plant like oil and carbon. And that hardly better for the enviorment.

So i think to ceep the nuclear fission for now is the best untile we have something to replace it with.(and to make it more efficent and more safe all the time)

as for the nuclear waste cant we just send it out in space or send it to the moon ? if we ever build any bases on the moon the radiation wont effect it anyway.

I just dont understand why we would want nuclear reactors when they create such terrible waste.

i guess we should all wait for cold fusion. and this comes from a guy who didnt get his beginers(drivers license) till he was 26. i hate fossil fuels.