First 3D Brain model being made

GorunNova

well lets see, there's the Matrix future, there's the Terminator Future, and any other movie future involviing the destruction of man kind as a possibility, we should take these films into consideration as warnings, we saw what happened to man kind in those films when they tried to play god. whats to stop it from happening for real.

Very nice, I read this somewhere some time earlier allready. It will be an immense amount of work to get the model running. Furthermore I don't think that we should expect it to be very fast in its 'brain-work', since ordinary processors are build upon the binary principle and to have such a system simulate a human brain (extremely parallel architecture), is not very efficient. If we want a computer with the intelligence of a human brain AND the speed of one, we'll need faster processors still.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/sci/tech/4071192.stm

Hmmm... I wonder what ramifications this sort of thing will have?

Realisticaly, it will give us a better understanding of how the brain works.. Very very little is known about how this organ works in the body compared to other organs. And it is difinitely one of the m ost important ones. Right now in medicine we always talk about how much influence the mind has over the body. And we are just talking about our 'will'. It has to do with everything conscious and unconscious, including the effects of our brain on illnesses and medications treating those illnesses.

For instance, there is substantial evidence that status of brain has alot of effect on the cure rate of some cancers. Some scientists say it is just that the brain makes the person change their lifestyle such as more excercize, better diet, compliance in terms of medications, etc. However, the evidence points to something even more than that.

Mapping the brain will give us better insight into how the brain works and that is reallly exciting.

If you consider this idea in terms of science fiction, we may even discover some day how to use our brains to read minds or communicate without talking like the betazoid species..You never know...but thats fictional aspect of it. Maybe more exciting for some of us rather than understanding how different diseases have different cure rates depending o the mindset.

I look at this as the first step towards creating artificial brains that are anything like our own... and possibly an important step towards the backing up of human brains mentioned in another topic.

Using the blueprint to grow a copy brain, in case someone has massive head trauma, maybe? ^^'

Very nice' date=' I read this somewhere some time earlier allready. It will be an immense amount of work to get the model running. Furthermore I don't think that we should expect it to be very fast in its 'brain-work', since ordinary processors are build upon the binary principle and to have such a system simulate a human brain (extremely parallel architecture), is not very efficient. If we want a computer with the intelligence of a human brain AND the speed of one, we'll need faster processors still.[/quote']

Naah, what we need are a lot of processors, each one emulating a cluster of neurons (after all, they suspect individual neurons act much like very simple processors working at 1 kHz) and sending asynchronous messages to each other much like it happens in the brain. Lots of processors, not simply faster ones.

Very nice' date=' I read this somewhere some time earlier allready. It will be an immense amount of work to get the model running. Furthermore I don't think that we should expect it to be very fast in its 'brain-work', since ordinary processors are build upon the binary principle and to have such a system simulate a human brain (extremely parallel architecture), is not very efficient. If we want a computer with the intelligence of a human brain AND the speed of one, we'll need faster processors still.[/quote']

Naah, what we need are a lot of processors, each one emulating a cluster of neurons (after all, they suspect individual neurons act much like very simple processors working at 1 kHz) and sending asynchronous messages to each other much like it happens in the brain. Lots of processors, not simply faster ones.

Yeah, that's another way to look at it. But the engineering required to do so, more processors interconnected with each other, is also still beyond our current level of technology. We're not talking a few hundred processors here, we're talking thousands. Well, at least 20000 simple 2 GHz processors would be my estimate, if you slow down on processor speed you'll simply need even more and they'd have to be connected through an extremely fast bridge. Think about the cooling solution required to keep this thing going alone and you have enough work on your hands to keep an entire engineering team at work for a few years!

... it might become easier when molecular transistor based chips become affordable...

The biggest problem will be making these chips self-reconfigurable, as that would be absolutely essential to properly simulate human axon rewiring capabilities...

Edit: That is, of course, assuming you want to implement a working brain in pure hardware... virtual neurons might be easier to implement with our technology, and wouldn't require self-reconfiguring chips.

backing up the human brain, that's an interesting thought. I wonder if you could give it the ability to continue thinking in the machine.

next step we'll all be replacing our bodies with robots

hrmmmm, that sucks because some of the worlds worst people could be allowed to live indefinately. At least now even the worst dictator or serial killer will eventually die