Weapons in space

Beawulf

NASA got a reminder of its Cold War origins recently when a probe into a locked storage room at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station unveiled two spacesuits from a canceled spy program -- and one had a "007" name tag.

... snip ...

The space agency said the suits were used to train Air Force astronauts for a 1960's spy program involving an Earth-orbiting space station known as the Manned Orbiting Laboratory. The station never got off the ground and the program was canceled in 1969, according to NASA.

One of the suits bears the number 008 and the name "Lawyer" on the left sleeve. It belonged to Lt. Col. Richard Lawyer, one of the first astronauts recruited to the program in 1965.

Spies in Space

I remember the MOL. I worked for a company that was heavy into MOL design - they laid off about 25% of their workforce when the project was cancelled. MOL was ALWAYS presented (to the public and employees - even a dozen years after cancellation) as a "laboratory."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minority political parties are kept out of mainstream politics by collusion between the democrats and republicans. The want to keep power to themselves so they use whatever means necessary to stop any other party from gaining enough power to join congress. The most effective means is media control. If a candidate runs for office, and the TV and newspaper do NOT report it, is that person really a candidate for office? Or are they in an alternate universe, isolated where they can do no damage to the current power elite?

There was a election here to replace the governor. The republicans did some shenanigans to get the current democratic governer kicked out of office. There were lots of candidates, I want to say 40 if not more. If you watched the TV and Newspapers, you saw maybe 3 or 4 candidates. What happened to the other 36? They were regular people who were not going to do what the current power structure wanted them to. The TV and newspapers ignored them so it was as if they never existed. There may have been 40 names on the ballot, but really there were maybe 3 or 4 candidates with any chance at all.

The space based weapons stuff? They already have them up there. A common rule of thumb is that any technology we know about? The military has already had for 20 years. You can see this demonstrated in satellite imagery technology. Used to be the military had those spy satellites to watch people. Today I can go to google and look at my house with the car parked out front from a satellite.

Should they be up there? Does it really matter? Those TV shows about nuclear winter said it would take maybe 100 nukes to do something like that. I think there about 5000 nukes total on the planet. Space based weapons are unnecessary. They are payoffs to defense contractors for political donations.

lots of points and a little time before work so I will just be able to adress the one .

compulsary voting is bad . people who arent interested in voting just vote whatever anyways .I think that America is really a country that is sleeping when it comes to the vote because status quo is acceptable .If Americans had some reason to become determined to vote those numbers would increase dramatically .60 % was a sharp rise in over all turn out and I would not be surprised to see further increases in that respect as freedom becomes more infringed upon .

my point is that apathy is a vote so by not voting they are still saying something .and by the way the right third party could garner 20 % or more of the votes for instance the division in the GOP could lead to a party split or we could have another Ross Perot who was a major impact on the 92 election .

The minority political parties are kept out of mainstream politics by collusion between the democrats and republicans. The want to keep power to themselves so they use whatever means necessary to stop any other party from gaining enough power to join congress.

I guess by having the majority of power under the control of two parties any potential candidate that wants to be effective has to join one of the two parties. But then they are pressured by the party to vote a certain way on certain topics and conform to common agendas.

The space based weapons stuff? They already have them up there. A common rule of thumb is that any technology we know about? The military has already had for 20 years. You can see this demonstrated in satellite imagery technology. Used to be the military had those spy satellites to watch people. Today I can go to google and look at my house with the car parked out front from a satellite.

yeah I guess it is naive to think they havent already, they have been spending the money to develop it for a while now.

I've got a split opinion on this issue now. I dont like the idea of a single nation having so much power, or that the possibility exists for a rogue individual/state has the ability to hack in and missuse any WMD

On the other hand I think we should prepare for the inevitable problem of a large asteroid or comet heading for earth, give us the ability to take action faster and hopefully save millions/billions of lives

my point is that apathy is a vote so by not voting they are still saying something

Yeah I agree that not voting says alot. but not voting will change nothing. surely there are enough candidates that they could vote a third party candidate.