Daleks Vs the BORG

taq22

Don't forget gas weapons, flamethrowers, and a paralysis ray.

As for temporal accords, before you so wisely pointed out the whole "do YOU wanna go arrest them" angle, I WAS going to say that the sneaky wee shites wouldn't need to do any time travel....just send a message back to the daleks in that time period (Genesis of the Daleks appears to be set in ancient history, even from our perspective.).

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Heh... Dalek guns are very flexible... they seem to be able to emit laser blasts' date=' 'see the skeleton' eradication beams, electrical pulses, etc, and if necessary projectile weapons can be attached...[/quote']

All these wonderful weapons don't sound very advanced to me, lol. Lasers, flame throwers, projectile weapons? LoL...these are hardly the weapons of choice for a powerfully advanced alien race. Though on the contrary it seems awfully pathetic that the borg's shields dont protect from hand to hand weaponry?

Those are options...their weapon of choice is the old fashioned skeleton death ray, fairly capable of blowing plenty up, especially with the Dalek's huge power reserves.....and that's only their sidearm for $DEITY's sake.

The Dalek's fitted projectile weapons for the same reason Borg fear them....you cannot defeat them with electronic jiggerypokery. Unarm daleks swiftly become machine gun toting daleks.

Come to think of it if the Borg had landed on Exxilon, they would first have run around having feelings, and saying cheezey US soap opera gibberish, then died.

The Dalek's fitted projectile weapons for the same reason Borg fear them....you cannot defeat them with electronic jiggerypokery. Unarm daleks swiftly become machine gun toting daleks.

Projectile weapons can't penetrate forcefields, sounds like jiggerypokery can defeat them to me! well in fact micro-deflectors, forcefields, shields, would all be immune to a projectile weapon!

Btw...exactly what is a skeleton death ray? sounds like something straight out flash gordon, lol.

called so by me purely as a descriptive term.

Like phasers: made up name for a laser you can see, and which travels a lot slower than light.

To the daleks I'm sure they are just called "left projection" or something.

so projectile weapons cannot penetrate shields.

And Picard killed the borg with a tommy gun.

Edit, that wasn't really my point anyway, I was referring to things like dampening fields and power disruptions, which is why the wee tin guys used them.

Projectile weapons can't penetrate forcefields, sounds like jiggerypokery can defeat them to me! well in fact micro-deflectors, forcefields, shields, would all be immune to a projectile weapon!

Btw...exactly what is a skeleton death ray? sounds like something straight out flash gordon, lol.

Hey, projectile and melee weapons work well against the Borg...

Their standard weapon is nicknamed the 'skeleton death ray' because the beam causes the victim's body to glow so brightly that you can see the skeleton...

Hey, projectile and melee weapons work well against the Borg...

The borg adapt to different kinds of weapons, which in itself seems absolutely stupid they aren't already adapted to projectile weapons but whatever, stupid startrek writer fuck up! lol...anyway the borg hadn't encountered a "tommy gun" before so they hadn't adapted yet. Went straight through their force field. Projectile weapons would be useless against the collective after a few shots as they'd adapt, otherwise the federation would run around slugging borg drones full of led from machine guns, lol. phasers being an energy weapon prove a much more effective as they can change frequency to counteract the borg shields adapting. and if i recall in voyager, borg drones have been struck from hand to hand combat and their shields have lit up. obviously adapted to melee? i suppose another star trek writing fuck up cos worf and data own the borg in first contact in melee...stupid writers, lol. infact i could bitch all day about how the writers have fucked the borg up tonnes, changing stuff all the time and it not flowing! but back on topic =D

much as the initial Gamma pulse from an atomic blast I always thought. Perhaps the technology is Xray or Gamma ray based. But then again, one of the things I love about Dr Who is the sheer Arthur C. Clarke-ness of it..."Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". We are WAY to dumb to understand ANYTHING the TimeLords do (or the Daleks and some other races), and it holds it together partly by just feeding the Dr the "you wouldn't understand" line, partly by the mechanism of the Dr coming out with utter balls, and the assistant catching him out on it, and partly by dipping into real science just often enough, and in just enough depth and detail, to lend credance to the BS.

Trek relies on an established set of principles, that make amazingly coherent sense. however, while that was all well and good when GR (good mates with Isaac Asimov I might add) had these guys working on the show called "science fiction writers". Ever since they completed the move to using unemployed staffers from "the bold and the beautiful" and lifting appalling scripts rejected for other shows as too obvious, and hen getting that pillock Bormanis to sprinlkle words like "tachyon" and "quantumn" around the resultant bilge with all the skill of a perl script.

Then it breaks down.

And before any of you who still wear the uniform, start telling me that voyager and enterprise were pure tv genius.

two words...

"sick dog"

Man, Rolf was on the other side, if I WANTED to see a show about sick dogs, I'd put that on, and have the added value of watching a demented australian. (I'm really sorry, this is SUCH a UK reference)

Man, Rolf was on the other side, if I WANTED to see a show about sick dogs, I'd put that on, and have the added value of watching a demented australian. (I'm really sorry, this is SUCH a UK reference)

I take offence to that hippie!

I've already explained what a "skeleton death ray" is. It's a projected energy weapon. For the full explination check out the earlier posts. In fact everybody PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS.

As for all these Time Travel problems, the Daleks are highly unlikely to use their rather crude Time Travel against such an inferior race. Also, I've seen that there is a contradiction between some of the posts. One says that the BORG do have shielding against hand-to-hand weapons, whereas another claims that the BORG have shielding against projectile weapons. You can't have one and not the other, as a projectile weapon is a piece of metal, as is a hand to hand weapon. So which is it?

I'd also like to point out that, as seen in Dalek, hand-to-hand combat with a Dalek, or indeed even touching a Dalek is (excuse the pun) futile.

I also see that alot of people seem to be comparing a BORG cube against one DALEK ship. The Daleks aren't stupid. Quite the reverse in fact. They would send out one ship. there'd be thousands of them, plus plenty of Daleks on Transolar Discs or just flying.

Well... there is the issue of energy density to take into account. Energy fields work well against energy attacks, because they are roughly the same 'density'... but against matter, which is VERY dense, solidified energy, it would take a LOT more energy to block it with a repulsive force field... Magnetism vs. magnetic minerals is an exception to this, of course, but for the most part it's most efficient to block matter with matter, and energy with energy.

Heh... the best adaption to projectile weapons would be if the Borg developed ultradense armoring lightened by antigrav fields... or switch from repulsive to destructive fields (i.e. energy fields that would vaporize incoming matter).

Hmmm... that sounds a lot like what the Daleks -already have-! :D (although I don't think their armor is ultradense or lightened by antigrav...)

Edit: Now, if they can only replace that eyeball-on-a-stick with a 360 degree optical band... although I think the Special Weapons model Dalek has that...

Oh and also, the Daleks are geniuses and would just do what the federation should have done. The BORG adapt only to the specific ray or weapon they are fired at with. So the Daleks would simply divise a weapon that changes frequence and particle destortion with every 2 shots. Also, for the BORG to adapt, or do anything for that matter, they have to be linked to the collective. The Daleks are all too efficient when it comes to jamming signals of any kind.

Oh and also' date=' the Daleks are geniuses and would just do what the federation should have done. The BORG adapt only to the specific ray or weapon they are fired at with. So the Daleks would simply divise a weapon that changes frequence and particle destortion with every 2 shots. Also, for the BORG to adapt, or do anything for that matter, they have to be linked to the collective. The Daleks are all too efficient when it comes to jamming signals of any kind.[/quote']

I believe I mentioned the jamming aspect, although I also believe it was ignored :D

Heh... keep in mind that the most the Doctor has ever done to them (excluding the Time War thing) is set them back a few steps... and from the looks of things, even the Time War may have just been a setback. The Daleks always seem to spring back a step further ahead most times...

Heh... keep in mind that the most the Doctor has ever done to them (excluding the Time War thing) is set them back a few steps... and from the looks of things' date=' even the Time War may have just been a setback. The Daleks always seem to spring back a step further ahead most times...[/quote']

If the next Star Trek series (because there will be a next series) is based after Voyager - then we may see the borg spring back and they may have adapted -BIG TIME - they could be......independant.....because i would like to see a future borg that is stronger, not so dependent on the collective, and with a more sinistar attitude like the Daleks.

how about a species 8472 that was actually assimilated =P...now that would own ^^

The borg would probebly get more out of assimilating one of there ships - they are living so could become one with the collective.

I'm not a DR who fan infact i think its quite gayv but aren't Daleks a humanioed species called Kaleds that have been mutated? It looks like it is going to be easier for the borg to destory. A borg cube is massive with a huge firepower. From what i have seen Daleks fire some kinda laser in in there rods. Thats easy for the borg to adapt to.

Btw the use of Time travel. From what i have heard the time travel in Dr Who is unrealistic.

Say they met a species that was stronger then them. They go back in time and kill them while they are in there infancy. But since they killed the species they wouldn't meet them in the future meaning they wouldn't go back in time to destroy them.

See the loop?

The Species that had the Time Traveling capabilities would be protected from the changes in the time line (somehow - maybe through temporal sheilds or somthing) so they would not be affected by the 'loop'

Also - i agree with the Borg Cube being stronger - i said before that a borg cube would easily be able to destroy a Dalek vessel - Borg Cubes are much larger - Stronger (as i said before 1 cube was able to cripple federation fleet) and The Dalek ships would be no match for 1 cube. The Weakness would be that Daleks V Borg drones would probebly mean a victory for the Daleks - I think Daleks are much better than Borg Drones....but we will never actually know

Thats why i say that Dr Who time traveling is unrealistic. If say someone did go into the past. They can not be protected from the paradox they will cause. Since Star Trek is one of the closest Sci Fi that actually talks some real science (Not Voyagers Technobabble). Since we are talking about AVP kinda fight we have to put the battle in a real functioning universe were real science applies.

The advantage that borg have

1: Collective mind of them all. Say what you like about Daleks being good but they are indivudals and has shown by the Dr who Finnally they still have the weakness of Individuality. The Borg are like SETI@Home. Just one and you don't have much. Get all of them and you a supercomputer expect the Brain is a thousand times more powerfull then CPUS.

2: Dalek weapons. Say what you want i seen it fire that laser thingy. It can be adapted to beacuse it is energy.

3: There damn slow. I seen them walk on smooth surface and man are they slow. Also in the stairs. Man is it horribly slow. The borg can take shots at it while it is hovering up.

4: There scanning methods. The borg can use there sensors to detect the creature inside (has any Dr who fan can tell you). It is a matter of either beaming them up or adjusting there weapons to damage the life forms.