Cybermen Series

taq22

Also a minor plot point if the cybermen just wanted a puppet president why did they go through all the trouble of arranging Karen's succession? Why not just kidnap the then incumbant president and alter him? This would have been extremely ironic given the late presidents attitude to Scorpius.

My guess? Cyberman alteration leaves noticeable changes in personality... his aides might have noticed the change in behavior?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well I listened to parts 1 & 2 in quick succession - not sure if its me but they just seem like two padded out normal parts of BF release (i.e. really both should be on 1 CD of a two CD release.

Part one was definitely padded but part 2 was excellent (err should I clench my fist here?)

just had part 3 delivered, but have to go to work -grrrrrrr. Can't wait for tonight.

Hmm, okay part 2 was good - I suppose its because I listened in quick succession. Just re-listened to the second part whilst waiting for pt 3 to come.

Someone has told me part 3 is very good too - just got it and will listen to it soon.

This series is a nice follow up to SOO

Well I've listened to part three.

Not quite what I was expecting, but quite good nonetheless.

****Spoilers****

I like the final moments of the play, the cyberman play is really starting to come together. Especially when we hear Karen finally cyber converted. Though at one point it reminded me of the Matrix when paul Hunt was offering her a way to forget the pain.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Sam and Liam really picked uyp, the subtly of part two was replaced with humour. That's not to say the humour was unwelcome, on the contrary, it made a nice change of pace of the surrounding intensity, and made the characters a bit more human. Liam's acceptance of the androids was a bit to quick, and a bit cliched - still with any potential love story between karen and Liam gone of the window now (unless he's got a fetish), Sam quite ably fills that unnecessary niche.

I like the the fact the we got the back story on Paul Hunt, the cyber quisling. Again a bit cliched, but it worked for me. I felt more sympathy for Paul more than I did for Karen and her fate. Perhaps because for all her tears, there is a callnousness at the heart of her personality, where as Paul does come across a geniune victim here.

Everything is set up nicely for an ear candy finale with Sam and Liam, Paul And Karen all heading for Telos. Though I wouldn't bet on a conclussive ending as BF will probably want to get another two series out of this.

My only disappointments with the play was that the Cybermen weren't an effective menace as they have been in the previous 2 plays. I liked it when they were mysterious and relying on stealth rather than brute force. The other reason is more of a niggle that doesn't right with me. The cybermen started to the cyber conversion on earth, but then we told that was just stage one and that the cybermen were taking the people to another planet to complete the procedure. It doesn't quite make sense. I know there needed to way to resolve the cliffhanger in part two, but this just seemed the wrong way to do it.

Still it lead to the scenes of Sam having to snog Liam every now again to keep his attention.

To final score then. Not as good as Part two, but marginally better than Part One.

8/10

Btw; I've uploaded it on the Torrent site

Has a thought last night about the ending. I think that Nicholas Briggs will go go with the cliched ending: Liam appeal to Karen's Human side and she will die in the acting of stopping the cybermen. This will be only a partial victory as some of the hibernation worlds will have been reactivated. Humans and androids will have to work together to stop this menace leading to CVyberman series two. what do you think?

• 2 months later...

Well after a long delay part four is finally here.

***Warning Spoilers***

It was worth the wait. I love the developing relationship between Liam and Sam. Especially when Sam asks why Liam's views have changed. The answer simple and honest, underlies what the story is really about. This later confirmed by the Android leader's reaction to Liam even further blurring the line between androids and humans, giving the whole piece a sense of hope.

The surprising thing about this play is the scope, after building up to an epic finale at the end of part three I was disappointed by the smallness of part four. Given the importance of destroying/awakening the tombs onTelos I can't understand why the androids only send 2 ships and the Cybermen one. Maybe I've heard Rutger Hauer's ad lib from Bladerunner too many times but I was really expecting 'Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.' I imagined whole fleets locked in mortal combat - Android survivors battling Cybermen in the airlessness of space etc. The last did happen, but it was very small and in background with only a couple of lines devoted to the most desperate battle of story.

When the climax comes it is very small, only a partial sucess (naturally leading to Cybermen Series 2) and vaguely disappointing. I was partially right about Liam trying to reunite Karen with her humanity. This was one of the best bits of the play, the fact that he could quite do it. I wish in hindsight that Karen had survived. She would have been an interesting character in the (doubtless forcoming) second series. Tortured between the 2 halves of her personality human and Cyberman. It could have even ended with her fighting with the resistance in a similar role to Sharon BSG, maybe evn set up a love triangle between Liam, Sam and Karen.

There were good possiblities for the character.

Despite the above I don't want peoiple to think I didn't enjoy the play. I did and I would definitely listen to a second and (likely) third series. Overall I just think becase of the lack of epicness to the finale that this was the weakest entry in the series.

Overall 7/10

Well I enjoyed PArt 4 and it was pretty obvious that there will be a Cyberman 2. With the exception of UNIT, everyother spin off has a second season with Dalek Empire getting two Three and Gallifrey release it's third season this year. Gary Russel has stated that the spin off have a three sereis lifetime, so UNIT will robably get a second and cyberman will more then likely get a third. It was obvious that it was written to end with a Cliff Hangar.

I enjoyed twist regarding Telos and it makes me wonder how you can link it to the New series, but wehave to wait and see Tennants first season.

Overall I give the series and 8, but think that Dalek Empire is still better (just).

• 3 weeks later...

Is the cyberman ceries better than Daleks? Hard to say at present - I enjoyed Dalek War a lot, and so Empire & War together provided some great pieces. Since they clearly are having a Cyberman2 then I haven't the same feeling - you're waiting for the next lot. That said I think taken in isolation Cyberman is better than Empire, but having listened to Empire then War I found the Dalek series very good - Empire III isn't as good - adds some nice fills but thats it.

Will there be a Cyberman3? Well Dalek Empire was only supposed to be Empire & War, Dalek Empire III was an add on. Maybe they will be planning for Cyberman to also have three stories, but so long as its the story arc for all three.

• 1 year later...

I too enjoyed this series.  I can't compare it to Dalek Empire, because I haven't listened to any of them and with Empire 4 now coming out I may just wait and do them all in one go.  So far out of all the spin offs, UNIT is still my favorite with Iris Wildthyme as my least favorite and this one slotting somewhere between the two.  Probably just below Sarah Jane.