climate change

Beawulf

Maverick's thread made me wonder what change in the climate is happening around the world.

We hear on the news examples from environmentalists clutching at straws to prove it is happening, and examples from oil funded scientists clutching at straws to prove it isnt. So I want to hear what is actually happening around the world.

Post about what is happening in your area, coldest season in recorded history, higher tides, whatever.

Here is Australia we are in the middle of the worst drought in 100 years and water restrictions have been imposed for the majority of cities. The dams that supply drinking water are at about 30% (in Brisbane) and 25-27% of that is undrinkable, they estimate we have just over 2 years worth left :stare:

Just as a side note, there seems to be evidence that the Earth periodically swaps poles every once in a while... and we're overdue by a LOT. Add to this that magnetic north has been listing off to the side more and more over the last few decades, and that spells trouble...

You see, when the poles swap, the Earth loses it's magnetic field (and much of it's radiation protection) for anywhere from a few weeks to a millenia or so... and such a change is coming -_-'...

Anyways, the weather in this area (middle Ontario, Canada) has seen a lot of record lows in the winter and a lot of weather hotter than usual in the summer... and winter seems to be shifting FORWARD a little bit in the year every year. It's nothing compared to the massive increase in floods and hurricanes the US has seen, but it's something...

Up here where we once were coverd by a huge block of ice that more or less strecthed all the way down to mid Europe, we've for the last couple or years started experiencing warmer and warmer wheater for every year - believe me, only ten years ago it was MUCH colder, even in the summer; so let me assure everyone reading this and not believing in the global warming effect; this AIN'T natural, no way, no how and isn't supposed to be - from a very reliable source / friend of mine, I heard that scientists predict that in about 50-60 years, parts of mid-Europe will be uninhabitable during high summer and that we'll up here experience the wheather that currently is typichal for mid-Europe while said spot in Europe will be far too hot.

Sure some might say that it's good that people will start spreading out up here where 'no one' lives, but I think that's a really bad way to populate the northen areas..

for evidence of polar wander look at isochrons on the sea floor. prof andrew roberts at noc has done much work on all that stuff and may have some stuff on his home page.

there is a mechanism for the change in polarity of the earths poles but i cant remember what its called

the salt pump is aka 'thermohaline circulation' heat and salt control water density and drive the glbal circulation system

Well, here in my neck of the USA woods (upstate NY) we just don't seem to have a spring anymore. It's winter...then...BAM, it's summer. It also seems as if our fall season is shorter as well. The trees change colors almost overnight now. Pity.

c4 :(

are you sure it would rise that high?

that works out to 32,000,000 cubic kms of water that seems alot.......eeep the volume of polar ice is 32,600,000,000 cubic kms!!!! you're right!

ok RUN FOR THE HILLS :P

its not just about the volume of water. as the global temp[ rises it affects the water.

things expand when they get warmer - water included :thinking:

I can always remember the odd winter where we would have alot of snow, theses days we hardly get a dusting here in the uk in the winter, who can remember the last really big freeze?

There is also evidence that the sea's acid levels are also on the rise as well, this was on bbc news 24 a few weeks ago and they where worried that it may kill off what they called something like a corner stone speices such as plankton etc etc, not to mention how just a minor change in acid levels could kill off the great corals in the world. now we have to take some of the blame for this.

Makes me laugh and also cry when you hear govenments more worried about the impact on there economies rather than the impact of the enviroment sometimes, economies can change and recover, if we are helping in the change of our weather patterns surely regular changes to our climate could cost billions and billions.

I can always remember the odd winter where we would have alot of snow, theses days we hardly get a dusting here in the uk in the winter, who can remember the last really big freeze?

There is also evidence that the sea's acid levels are also on the rise as well, this was on bbc news 24 a few weeks ago and they where worried that it may kill off what they called something like a corner stone speices such as plankton etc etc, not to mention how just a minor change in acid levels could kill off the great corals in the world. now we have to take some of the blame for this.

Makes me laugh and also cry when you hear govenments more worried about the impact on there economies rather than the impact of the enviroment sometimes, economies can change and recover, if we are helping in the change of our weather patterns surely regular changes to our climate could cost billions and billions.

Indeed! I would have thought that everyone understood the idea that if our surroundings (places to live) become 'unlivable', who would then need or even care about money?

Money is important, but only because we've made it important, otherwise except for that fact (and the followup fact that money impacts due to said reason), money is just poof, it's air, it's nothing.

Perhaps we as a 'scifi' community really should try to make some demands and changes, I mean really DO something about things.

I've already started pitching in with my share; I don't dump snuff or cigarettes or anythiung else for that matter outside any more, I've learned to use designated trashcans and I try to improve in other areas as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Dont forget that ice has a higher volume than liquid water even after the water has expanded at high temperatures.

ice = 0.001086 m^3/kg

liquid water (50C) = 0.001012 m^3/kg

that gets no arguement from me but you gotta remember that there is a lot more water than there is ice!

and its not just the poles where water is gonna get bigger.

ocean bottom water as been known to fluctuate in temp by upto 2 deg C, imagine that as a min temp and fluid expansion troughout the oceans.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thinking:

• 2 months later...

bbc news announced that scientists have found plants give off methane.

CH4 is 20x as effective as CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

when you weigh up all the variables it makes you wonder if man does that much to the climate.

due to de-forestation we have eliminated methane producing sources.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again her in the SE UK we`re being told that we need weeks of sustained rainfall to replenish resevoirs. Water companies are asking to divert river flow to compensate, or else as per usual we are facing water shortage this year.

If only we all had water meters, then it would stop people wasting.

Which brings me to wasting, this is probably one of our biggest problems. IMHO if we all stopped being so wasteful then I`m sure that it would give us all more time to combat the bigger problem. I don`t just mean water but all of our resources.

As for weather change, I am definately noticing in my short life the major change to the seasons. It seems that every year we are being told "this is the warmest/coldest/wettest/dryest season since records began"

I think I might start stockpiling in my loft and wait for Armageddon.

:p