Sci-Fi Books what your fav

dino4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isaac Asimov... almost everything he wrote was a classic.

The Forever War

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaker for the Dead

The Best Science Fiction of the Year (anthology series)

Heck just go search "Hugo Award" and you'll get over 50 novels worth reading.

isn't the forever war by Joe Haldeman , and Speaker For the Dead, Orson Scott Card??

Where did I say they were not?

troy

The Culture series by Iain Banks have to be the ultimate true science fiction for me, deep and engaging stories set in the surreal and completely original "Culture" universe... I highly recommend this series to anyone who has never read them - Start with the first book "Consider Phlebas"

My all time fav has to be HG Wells War of the Worlds, obviously been made into films, but these do not reflect the real imaginative brilliance and vision of the book.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c4evap
How could i have forgotten to mention Harry Harrison....

"The Stainless Steal rat" Books.......

So funny they make your ribs hurt!!!!

Here's a link to the first short story! http://www.iol.ie/~carrollm/hh/ssrshort.htm

Yeah, Harry Harrison is good as well. One of the best and funniest sci-fi stories I've ever read was "The Space Willies by Eric Frank Russell". Finally found a copy for sale a few weeks ago. It's been out of print for some time. A real knee slapper!

c4 B)

I went through this list to find something new to read and found that I really couldn't determine which books I would find interesting or similar to my taste. Maybe people who post here can write a small synopsise and general type of sci-fi (i.e., escapism, social commentary, exploration, action, etc.). I'll try to edit my own post above to beef it up.

How could i have forgotten to mention Harry Harrison....

"The Stainless Steal rat" Books.......

So funny they make your ribs hurt!!!!

Here's a link to the first short story! http://www.iol.ie/~carrollm/hh/ssrshort.htm

Yeah, Harry Harrison is good as well. One of the best and funniest sci-fi stories I've ever read was "The Space Willies by Eric Frank Russell". Finally found a copy for sale a few weeks ago. It's been out of print for some time. A real knee slapper!

c4 B)

OK. You're correct Command Chief Foil...so here's a bit about "The Space Willies" by Eric Frank Russell -->

The story concerns John Leeming, a scout pilot for the Terran space navy. Earth and her allies are engaged in a war with the Lathians and their allies. Leeming, a rather insubordinate fellow by instinct, is given the assignment to take an experimental new super-fast one-man scout ship and fly it as far as he can towards the "rear" of the Lathian empire, in order to determine the extent of the Lathian holdings. Leeming proceeds to do so, but as the capabilities of his ship are unknown, he finds himself marooned with a decaying ship on a planet well away from the front, indeed, out of range of an ordinary ship, Terran or Lathian. He's the only human being on a strange planet, and he must find some way to elude capture and find a way back home -- and he may have to do so twice, as even if he steals one ship, it won't be able to get all the way to Earth.

Leeming proceeds to have a few adventures, but inevitably gets captured by the natives of the planet, who are not Lathians but one of their allied species. He finds himself in a prison with a number of Rigellians (allies of Terrans), but no other humans. Now his problem is doubly difficult -- but then he has an inspiration. The rest of the book tells of his clever idea and the implementation of it.

c4 B)

Ender's Game Hands Down!!!!!! :p

i preferred enders shadow :) but then thats the first one i read

the series went down from there

currently reading david weber books march to the stars

ringworld!!! there has to be a thousand stories from that book

I've heard of this book many times. What is it about?

P.S. Thanks for the Synopsis c4evap. I can't remember the last comedic book I read. I'll have to go back in the vault and see. It may be Terry Pratchet or Tom Robbins. I eventually got tired of Pratchet but enjoyed his work for many novels. Robbins is almost always an interesting and ironic read. I will never forget the Vatican Hit Squad.

I've heard of this book many times. What is it about?

Ender's Game synopsis:

From Publishers Weekly

For the 20th anniversary of Card's Hugo and Nebula Award–winning novel, Audio Renaissance brings to life the story of child genius Ender Wiggin, who must save the world from malevolent alien "buggers." In his afterword, Card declares, "The ideal presentation of any book of mine is to have excellent actors perform it in audio-only format," and he gets his wish. Much of the story is internal dialogue, and each narrator reads the sections told from the point of view of a particular character, rather than taking on a part as if it were a play. Card's phenomenal emotional depth comes through in the quiet, carefully paced speech of each performer. No narrator tries overmuch to create separate character voices, though each is clearly discernible, and the understated delivery will draw in listeners. In particular, Rudnicki, with his lulling, sonorous voice, does a fine job articulating Ender's inner struggle between the kind, peaceful boy he wants to be and the savage, violent actions he is frequently forced to take. This is a wonderful way to experience Card's best-known and most celebrated work, both for longtime fans and for newcomers.

P.S. Thanks for the Synopsis c4evap. I can't remember the last comedic book I read. I'll have to go back in the vault and see. It may be Terry Pratchet or Tom Robbins. I eventually got tired of Pratchet but enjoyed his work for many novels. Robbins is almost always an interesting and ironic read. I will never forget the Vatican Hit Squad.

No problemo.

c4 B)

That's enough for me. I'll look out for it and give it a shot. Is this the first in a series or are there books ahead of this one.

I believe it's the "pilot" book (Ender's Game). There are 3 more books in the series (if I'm not mistaken).

Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

c4 B)

For me its like this.

1) ROBOTECH Saga [21 books]

2) Foundation saga [7 books]

3) I,Robot saga [too many books]

4) The space Odessey series

5) Ranma series

6) All of Jules Verne

7) All of H.G. Wells [except 1st man on the moon]

8) Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy series [5 books]

I guess there r others like NIGHTFALL... and some short ones but these are the only very good ones that come to mind