I'm getting upgraded

mcant

well my connection is getting upgraded this month from 1mb/128 to 4/384

ok the upload still sucks but its a hell of a lot better than it was, so hopefully I can pull my weight around here a bit more :thinking:

with that really lopsided upload/download my share ratio is still gonna blow but at least I will finally be able to put a bit more out

And yeah I know some of you have really fantastic transfer rates that make this look pitiful, but I hope you appreciate that where I live this is a pretty damned good piece of news :D

Well that's nice - it is a really fast download speed - i have half that :) and my Upload rate isn't as great either.

I have only uploaded really small files like a few MP3's or a video trailer - so it's easy to seed them - if your planning to upload larger files like episodes then you will have to have a lot of seeding time

ISP companies here usually have considerably lower upload speeds compared to download. I guess they figure people only care about download speeds which is true for alot of people. ratio tends to be 5:1 or worse. I'm on 12mbps/2mbps, used to have 1.5mbps/64kbps!

well i'm switching to another provider in the next two weeks as well, sod AOL lol...going upto 8mb down and 0.4 mb upload so its a step in the right direction, my new isp provider was telling me that ADSL 2 will be available sometime next year.

well i'm switching to another provider in the next two weeks as well' date=' sod AOL lol...going upto 8mb down and 0.4 mb upload so its a step in the right direction, my new isp provider was telling me that ADSL 2 will be available sometime next year.[/quote']

sounds like bullshit to me.! oops i meant 'bulldog' the new cable and wireless isp. up to 8 meg down, but read the ad 'UP TO'

no-one has apparently got anywhere near 8 according to the bbc consumer people, and in portsmouth they won't even let me have it. even though they put the ad thru my door

one of my customers is installing it in the exchanges and he reckons they can't keep up with demand so if it's busy you are gonna get even less :(

There's enough compatition here to cause thecompanies to provide faster speeds at the same rates. The cable downloads have gone from 3Mbps to 4 and last month 6, all this year.

What I hate are smug dumbasses who don't understand transfer rates and speed and try to insult our $45 cable versus the DSL deal out now for $15, they don't read that it's only 768Kbps down and 128Kbps up. My up speed beats they're down

and they just don't get it, but then they are also dumb enough to add an ISP like AOL for Broadband on top of it all.

(shrug) Verizon told me, "128kbps = about 10 times faster than 56K modem". Even if it's only 5 times faster, that's still okay. I don't need a faster connect than 128. Your friends who are saying cable is too expensive are probably happy with the slower DSL too.

BTW, how do you get 128 kbps = 5 times faster than 56K modem? I've done the math 128/8 =16 kB/s = ~3 time faster than a 5 kB/s modem.

troy

I dont know much about speeds up or down. I do know that my isp told me my speed was supposed to be 4mb down and i think 256kb up...But I never get any where close to them. Most of the time my downloads run around 40 to 50kb and my up runs close to the same. Is there anyone here that could tell me what my speeds up and down really should be. Im on Road Runner cable.

Thanks

They say "upto 4mbps" so they don't need to offer you that speed in reality. If you are juding your speeds according to BitTorrent, that's probably not the best approach. BitTorrents rarely hit the peak speed possible.

If I wanted to see my actual speed, I would go find a speedy site with lots of videos, and do a direct download using your Browser.

Now, how to I prove to myself that DSL-128 is 5 times faster than a 56K modem? How do I do the math?

troy

• 4 weeks later...