TV: Firefly

NiteShdw

I just started watching Firefly because of all the good thing I had heard about it.

I have to admit, it's a great show. The 'universe' it is set in is very unique. I love that it's a Sci-Fi Western. The acting is great, as is the writing. The characters are complex, dramatic, and amusing.

I've watched episodes 1-5 at this point, and I'm still chugging along.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no one has commented... I watched it within the space of a few days and it wasn't half as horiffic as I expected.

Buffy and Angel were both - at their peaks - good shows... but they were still, kind of snobby or trying too hard.

Firefly does start with that - the laughable war scene in Serenity valley made me practically cry tears of blood it was so funny. OH GNOES EVERYONE DIED BUT THE CAPTAIN AND HIS FRIEND - whatever did that pointless cannon fodder character do to deserve a good killing that his CO didn't?

Beyond such unintentional humour... and let's face it, at times there is quite a bit, it's a good show. Characters are predictable - I mean, it hardly takes a rocket sciencist to see who has HIDDEN DEPTHS.

But there is continuity and that is a redeeming feature that hardly any sci-fi shows can boast. Not just that, Firefly doesn't give you sickening Voyageresque "oh dear, a purple anomaly has beset us this week. Similar to the yellow one last week but requiring a different solution that will of course expend 42 minutes."

In many ways, Firefly is a more mature Farscape. The "space opera" - if we must use that ghastly term - is there but with greater subtly and it's just so refreshing to see a show where we aren't forced to endure a new, slightly different and never to be seen again alien race every week.

The space western motif is perhaps slightly forced and the frontier feel that which that tries to represent feel somewhat false but the "verse" that Firefly represents is - despite the fact it is limited to a single solar syste - almost instantly more interesting that 7 years of Voyager... well, ok so is hammering sharp metal objects through your genitals but Firefly just has this potential.

Ok, the characters are only really kind of stereotypes - the rogue but heart of gold captain, psycho but uberpowerful buffy girl, traitorous but comes good in the end chap, awesome pilot, preacher with a cloudy past etc. etc. But I think outside of BSG, it's pretty hard to think of a show that would so quickly offer interest. Most shows don't get going until their 2-3 year. Yet Firefly offers so much more in but 14 episodes.

At it's best, it can offer the humour of SG-1, the drama of BSG and the characterisation of Farscape... for a cynic like me though, there are points which will feel rather tiresome or overlaboured etc but if you asked me whether I'd rather 14 episode of Voyager/Enterprise/Slider/[bad sci-fi] vs. more Firefly, I would go with Firefly.

Couldn't have said better.

FIREFLY is an awesome show... maybe not the best like SG-1 or FARSCAPE but its definitely unique with its feel of space western and no aliens.

And Reavers and the Gov. as the villain is very good and refreshing.

To me it feels like... Asimov style era with Wing Commander 4 style plot and Clint Eastwood western.

Good show... and the movie does very well to end the series.

The charchters were only really stereotypes on the surface, and how they grow in simply 14 episodes really shows that. I found putting them into classic western roles was a great way to give it that western feel. Really liked how Joss was able to create a universe that logically followed into that whole westernish sci-fi world. Just having it be all western would have made it a little cheesy. I find one of the best things about the show though is the writing, its just amazing :), oh and also the timing of the dialogue its really beauitiful.

I just saw the first two episodes and I have to tell ya. It does have a certain charm to it... After the first 10 minutes I thought, boy this is going to suck big time, but I kept on watching the first ep and then the second and really there is something about it... I'm hoping the rest of it will be in about the same line or maybe the plot will widen a bit... I'll just have to wait and see... :)

I should say that when my mom would walk in on my in the middle of an episode, she would complain that I didn't wait for her so she could see it. She really liked the show (she's a very well educated person that mostly watches C-SPAN and TCM).

The movie Serenity gave the universe a bit more 'umph' in the sense that you finally see the contrast between the high-tech alliance and the rim-world western.

One aspect of the show that I like is that the characters have more depth to them than Star Trek. The problem with Star Trek is that everyone is a refined, evolved, optimist. In Firefly, the 'good guys' are really 'bad guys', thieves and thugs. I do think some of the episodes didn't play on the Capain's struggle with morality as much as they could have (i.e. he was too eager to help certain people without getting anything in return, or without showing some internal conflict).

I don't believe that we'll see another TV show out of this, though a low-budget movie may be possible. It's too bad, I think it has a lot of potential. I certainly would love to see more episodes.

I simply CANNOT believe they scrapped this series! :stare:

I've seen everything up untill episode 10 and I've gotta tell ya: I LOVE IT!!!!!!

They really need to reconsider taking it back on air, this show is FANTASTIC!! :D

EDIT: Finished today. It was a great show, to bad they scrapped it. It really didn't deserve that! It was the best show I've seen in a while...

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the first 5 eps and I like it. Sometimes it's a bit rushed but the little details are great:

- No sound in space! Finally someone used his brain!

- Excellent cuts and angles

- Good makeup on the "whore" (I bet she doesn't even look half as cute without that)

- The most important room is the cargo bay (fits perfectly)

- You get to see the toilets - "Star Trek" never had the balls to show that ;)

- Wild, but working mix of characters

- Original Setting which I haven't seen before (Jules Verne & Alien & Lucky Luke & Star Wars & World War & [...])

What's that funny language thing by the way? Sometimes they use phrases which are most definately not English but I haven't found a pattern yet. Can somebody enlighten me (without spoilers please :D )?

What's that funny language thing by the way? Sometimes they use phrases which are most definately not English but I haven't found a pattern yet. Can somebody enlighten me (without spoilers please :D )?

It's explained a little in the extras and it realy does fit in the created universe, it's Chinese, but only unimportant things and things you can make out on your own what they mean are spoken in that language... :)

I bought the DVD set today. I just felt the urge to give something back to the people who created this and I wanted to have this jewel on my shelf :)

Sidenote: The German dubbing is godawful. Thank god you can still watch it in english.

Until now I have been un able to comment on this series because I hadnt seen it........

It is a nice little western type show that takes the Star Wars Western idea a little further.

If you had not realised this idea of a Western type culture in space is not original. I can remember as a young child watching a cartoon series called "Brave Star".......ok its was crap as my friend put it, but is still the wild west with future type technology. In that cartoon the characters wouldd ride jet powered horses and the design for those looks a lot like a Firefly.

I actually felt insulted with episode one......the pilot......Serenity......did the producers not thnk I would recognise that the body armour used was actually from the film Starship Troopers. In fact if you look closer some of the other props are from the Rambo series of films........I`m not talking about the weapons.

People who watch Sc-Fi arent drongos........they are intelligent people who remember details. I dont like being insulted like this.

I like teh characters in this series and with out their excellent interaction this show wouldnt have any attraction for me.........a band of anti-heroes but as the series progressed thay just turned into a band of do-gooders which we have seen time and time again.

........now to go watch the film.

I actually felt insulted with episode one......the pilot......Serenity......did the producers not thnk I would recognise that the body armour used was actually from the film Starship Troopers. In fact if you look closer some of the other props are from the Rambo series of films........I`m not talking about the weapons.

They explained it in the audio commentary: They just had not the money to create something on their own. And they knew it would be recognized.

Firefly is superb. If it wasn't for fox it have been successful.

1) They showed it in the wrong order

2) They left out key episodes

3) They showed the 2 parter which explains everything last....

I was reading that they might make another film. (I would point out that the film was made because the DVD's sold well and that persuaded universal to finance it... So if you want more then buy it)

If you think about it, it must have been very hard for the group of fans who where keen on the show right from the start. Especially the wrong order must have been an extreme letdown. And yet they pushed really hard until they finally got their movie. I find that most impressive.

• 2 weeks later...