Theory of evolution vs creationism

Beawulf

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, evangelicals seem to deploy hotties to try and convert you... I'm fairly sure that in itself is an admission of failure.

The hilarious thing about good ol' Christians is - a WHOLE lot of them, know very very little about the actual bible ESPECIALLY those who take it verbatim. "BONE" up on a few key facts and you can ask the pure in heart but empty in head a fair few questions that will stump them.

Additionally - my experience says, never ever ever date Christian women. You'll always be a distant second to god. Unless you're putting out for him too - not worth it.

Did I have a point? Probably not... except maybe Christianity isn't nearly as special as it likes to think. Abrahamic religion and all. I'm anxiously awaiting some ballsy Jews to say "YOU CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS YOU'RE JUST WANNABE JEWS"

• 3 weeks later...

Uh, well - not really. Until you posted... and I replied.

I'm estimating I was into double digits on the beer count by the time I wrote that last post.

Still, it never ceases to surprise how often hardened bible thumpers can know so little about what they're thumping.

Although, I think that with the theory of evolution you may well find many people who profess to take it over the literal truth of Genesis getting a little fuzzy over the details. Although, that's more forgivable because scientists aren't exactly sure either.

It's hard for most people to not be a little fuzzy over the details of the theory of evolution. The details in question are relatively advanced biology, so unless you have a solid education in the field or a hell of a personal interest, chances are that you don't know much beyond the broad strokes of the subject. But that doesn't stop anyone from having an opinion on the matter. To understand the basic principles of evolution is quite enough.

Lot of great posts regarding both sides of the discussion. Heres some video resources I just stumbled on about both sides of the story. So, for everyone that has a very strong opinion on the subject of the oritgin of man / nature of the universe, do yourself a favor, and ste aside an hour of your time, and watch both of these videos, and listen to what your side, and the contrary side have to say on the subject.

Kirk Cameron's (30 min) video debunking the theroy of Evolution ( link here )

Penn (Jillette) and Teller's Bulls HIT episode (30 mins) debunking the concept of Intellegent design. ( link here )

Just a word of warning about the Penn and Teller video ... expect profanity, nudity, gratudious close up magic tricks, and really bad video encoding (works just fine if you just listen to it)

• 1 month later...
Kirk Cameron's (30 min) video debunking the theroy of Evolution

If you are going to post an "anti-evolution" link, then I'd come up with one that is a lot better than this. This film is almost hilarious with the number of obvious flaws it has. The sad part is that it probably convinces folks who have little or no understanding of science, let alone logic.

For example, the film starts off by interviewing various folks about evolution. When they start using phrases like "probably" or "I'm not an expert" he concludes its a sure sign evolution is false.

But change the topic, to something like "how do cell phones work" and ask the same people, and you'll get the same phrases back in reply. Does this mean that cell phones are just figments of our imagination, or could it be that while most people have a basic understanding of their function, few know the intricate details? Evolution is no different. Schools teach the basic premise, but rarely go into the specifics.

And then of course the film has outright lies, such as stating that neaderthal man was just an old guy with arthritis (We have far more than just one sample, not to mention DNA showing distinct differences as well http://www.jqjacobs.net/anthro/paleo/neanderthal.html) or that there are no transitional fossils (when in fact we have several thousand as Cameron says we should have!).

Also funny is them comparying a biplane to a jumbo jet and stating its preposterous to think one came from the other, when in fact today's jumbo jets ARE derived from the knowlege learned when we were flying only multiwinged aircraft such as biplanes.

The errors continue throughout. So please, if you are going to be anti-evolution, at least be honest about it and use real facts to support your argument and not obvious lies or outrageous logical leaps.

The moment I hit the 'big bang in the studio' thing, I killed that flick. If they won't even start with a remotely credible argument, why would I want to spend a half hour on it? Given how wildly stupid that first bit was, I reasonably figured that their math and probabilities later on would probably not be much better.

Still, I will watch it tomorrow just to make sure, regardless of how terrible it's intro was.

Worse, in the US, states have taught religious theory as fact and in "modern" times still teach these theories along with the theory of evolution. Evolution is the only one that can be tested in a scientific manner. Thank god/dess, I'm not a Christian.

So... a God who has existed for all time, is all powerful, all knowing creating the world in seven days around five thousand years ago - but who doesn't really stop by to say hi - is MORE likely than the universe just suddenly coming into existence? As usual, I'm reminded of the desperate egotism of humanity and its desperate need to be at the centre of the universe.

And yes, that kind of religious propaganda from Kirk Cameron just goes to show you how an all loving God can do wonders for the career of an ego-manical self-promoting SOB. Somehow, I think that the Lord Almighty and the Almighty Dollar vie for affection.

Worse' date=' in the US, states have taught religious theory as fact and in "modern" times still teach these theories along with the theory of evolution. Evolution is the only one that can be tested in a scientific manner. Thank god/dess, I'm not a Christian.[/quote']

In what states does this occur? None I've lived in.

And yes' date=' that kind of religious propaganda from Kirk Cameron just goes to show you how an all loving God can do wonders for the career of an ego-manical self-promoting SOB. Somehow, I think that the Lord Almighty and the Almighty Dollar vie for affection.[/quote']

Actually, his decision to follow a religious path has hampered his career.

I have Christian friends who are sure that the US is one step away from outlawing religion and you guys are sure it has become a theocracy. I don't see how either group can be talking about the same country I live in.

Probably because all we ever see here is "MORE EXTREME RELIGIOUS GROUPS IN THE USA PLOT THEOCRACY!"

Why, there's a programme on tonight about that exact thing. As to Cameron, my knowledge of him is trifling so I'll take your word for it.

Given sheer demographics, theocracy is more likely than all religion being outlawed. All the speeches about 'religion being outlawed' is purely to further strengthen the religious voting bloc, which is already quite significant. Some reasons I think this...

1) The US has a President whose speeches sound more like sermons than public addresses from a state leader. Politicians don't focus on weak voting blocs, so the religious bloc much be fairly strong.

2) The fact that the 'intelligent design in classrooms' thing got to a courtroom suggests a lot of push behind it... a push that wouldn't exist if religion was 'endangered'.

3) As mentioned above, demographics. As of the 2000 census, 44% of the US claimed it was 'born again' or 'evangelical' Christian... and it has only gone up since 9/11.

So... it would seem that such claims are a tactic to elict sympathy, reinforce a sense of persecution, and generally make Christianity seem like a perpetual underdog. It's a classic tactic for recruitment...

Given sheer demographics, theocracy is more likely than all religion being outlawed. All the speeches about 'religion being outlawed' is purely to further strengthen the religious voting bloc, which is already quite significant. Some reasons I think this...

1) The US has a President whose speeches sound more like sermons than public addresses from a state leader. Politicians don't focus on weak voting blocs, so the religious bloc much be fairly strong.

2) The fact that the 'intelligent design in classrooms' thing got to a courtroom suggests a lot of push behind it... a push that wouldn't exist if religion was 'endangered'.

3) As mentioned above, demographics. As of the 2000 census, 44% of the US claimed it was 'born again' or 'evangelical' Christian... and it has only gone up since 9/11.

So... it would seem that such claims are a tactic to elict sympathy, reinforce a sense of persecution, and generally make Christianity seem like a perpetual underdog. It's a classic tactic for recruitment...

I'm not sure where this is coming from? I made none of the claims which you 'refute'. I haven't noticed Bush's speeches to be any more sermon-like than Clinton's or many others. The US is a traditionally religious country so it pays for politicians to appear religious. I suspect you are just noticing this because you haven't paid much attention to the US' internal politics until recently. As for 'the intelligent design in classrooms' thing, I believe you are referring to the case in Dover, Delaware. All the school board members involved were soundly defeated in the local school elections. I was just pointing out that your fear of US theocracy is just as insane and unfounded as their fear of Christianity under attack.

• 1 year later...