How do you surf?

alaska

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

firefox makes me feel.. well gay... there i said it... internet explorer is very clean and manly where anything mozilla based is a little foofoo. Plus, anything based off mozilla doesnt show sites the same way as IE, now before you all jump on me and go FIREFOX IS 100% COMPLIANT WITH CSS and all that other jive.... compliant or not.. it just looks WRONG. and as far as security, I have never been infected with spyware or adware from a web site. Why? because I DO NOT CLICK YES on anything, I avoid sites that REQUIRE you to install spyware to use them, and I have service pack 2 installed. I run ad-aware, spybot, and MS antispyware and I have never been infected with anything that i got from a website (now I did once get infected from a pirate copy of nero that had a trojan horse installer that installed crap while it was isntalling nero... but that isnt the browsers fault)

oh... and btw.... all you firefox lovers.. firefox is not reccomended in a IT world.. why? just try to configure anything made by Cisco (or linksys), HP, or 3COM via its http interface with firefox. 75% of the products will not work. (cisco for example will not finish loading the page, same for linksys(which is cisco) ) compliant or not.. something isnt right.

Guest c4evap
Firefox...

It's better than IE in terms of loading pages, but its startup up is a bit slower than IE.

I've found that to be true as well. I do, however, use both. The Microsoft website doesn't like other browsers. You can't access their Windows Update feature except with IE.

Quote from their website while trying to access Windows Update using Firefox: You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

c4 B)

Firefox...

It's better than IE in terms of loading pages, but its startup up is a bit slower than IE.

I've found that to be true as well. I do, however, use both. The Microsoft website doesn't like other browsers. You can't access their Windows Update feature except with IE.

Quote from their website while trying to access Windows Update using Firefox: You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

c4 B)

very true, there is a hack to totaly remove Ie from windows 9X, every customers computer that I have seen come in with that hack is full of parasites, many of them have hotfixes that prevent them from being infected... but alas, they couldnt install them via windows update.

firefox. i always used IE till some poeple on other fourms convinced mt to try firefox. i never used IE again. (well my dload pc has IE as browser, but i dont internet on it).

firefox is indeed a hell of a lot better than IE.

firefox makes me feel.. well gay...

Wow! I've never heard of anybody having their sexual orientation influenced by which browser they used ... ;)

oh... and btw.... all you firefox lovers.. firefox is not reccomended in a IT world.. why? just try to configure anything made by Cisco (or linksys), HP, or 3COM via its http interface with firefox. 75% of the products will not work. (cisco for example will not finish loading the page, same for linksys(which is cisco) ) compliant or not.. something isnt right.

My experience is 100% success with configuring Linksys and Netgear equipment with FF.

But, FF needs some work before it's corporate world ready. It needs a way for IT nazis to control the installation of extensions, actually, to configure extension installation.

FF doesn't render XHTML and CSS perfectly. But it does render some features more correctly than IE and makes better choices for ambiguous interpretations than IE.

Nevertheless, there's the IE View extension that lets you open the same page in IE if you're having a FF problem. I've had to use it 3 or 4 times in the past year. Once because of the FF problem I mentioned earlier.

Since you posted an analogy, I'll return one of mine. FF is like a Lotus while IE is like a Chevy Suburban. One is tightly engineered and a bit non-standard, the other is big, bulky, consumes resources like there's no tomorrow, is a general menace; but is sometimes required.

Opera is by far the best browser hands down. I can't even use IE because I keep forgetting that you actually have to MOVE THE MOUSE to go BACK a page? What's up with that? I have to click the back button... and then when I do, it usually doesn't even go back, it tries to reload the page and gives some lame error. In Opera I just click my two mouse buttons and poof I'm back a page... I can move back 10 pages in about 1.5 seconds.

Did you know that Opera's download is 1MB smaller than Firefox but has way more features in the base install (without extensions)? Ahh... I pity the fools that suffer through life with needlessly crappy browsing applications.

Guest Mrthumps

I use explorer because it came with this machine and I'm just too lazy/don't care enough to install anything else.

Been using Opera now for over a year and love it. I love all the features like tabbed pages. Gave FF a go since it also had tabs but couldn't get the hang of it. Probably just a setting or plugin I missed. Other things I like about it is that the skins(loads of these on thier site), panels, toolbars and buttons are so configureable.

I also like that if I crash my box due to overclocking with Opera still up, shut it down without closing the browser or just plain close it out, when I fire it back up it drops me right were I left off including all the pages and what position I was on the page.

Opera also has built in IRC, newsfeed/e-mail client, although I like using Thunderbird as my e-mail client.

Pages load lightning fast no matter if it's new or forwards/backwards.

Neat little site to test your browsers rendering speed here. :D Lets see what all of you come up with for benchies....

I use Firefox and IE, now mainly IE but I'm planning on trying out Opera since many of my friends adore it!

I was quite satisfied with FF though it had some rendering problems as mentioned.

Netscape seems dead and buried as of today... :D

However I absolutely love Thunderbird (mozilla/firefox emailprogram) it's way better than Outlook and not at all constantly attacked by various icky yucky things :D

At the VERY least' date=' everyone needs to download Firefox and Opera, give them a try, and dump IE.[/quote']

I have been trying to assimilate the program into another user (Who wishes to remain annonamous) but he constantly tells me that IE is better.

I'm with you niteshdw. Opera all the way.