Alien life

ZaphodiLe

I searched the forums and couldn't get a hit so: (I'm sorry if this has been done many times before)

Do you believe in alien life?

I would like to believe we'll meet intelligent life someday, but it seems improbable. However I think there is more or less intelligent life somewhere.

It has been done in some form, but not so extensive... And what the heck, as this forum grows older there will be many threads that have been done before... (I just recently had my 4th "how old are you" thread :))

I voted that there is alien life and that we will find them sometime. I'm not entirely sure if they've already visited us, but I think there should be something out there.

I think alien life would be mostly reptilian. I mean, mammals are a pretty quirky development and very, very far along in the evolutionary chain, wouldn't you say? Hell, there very well could have been intelligent reptilian life before us. There was after all, a lot of time for it to crop up before we came along. A long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Would alien life shut up all earth's religions? :P

No, I don't think so. Christians would probably say aliens were demons as would the other two major religions. At least that's what I would expect.

I think alien life would be mostly reptilian. I mean, mammals are a pretty quirky development and very, very far along in the evolutionary chain, wouldn't you say? Hell, there very well could have been intelligent reptilian life before us. There was after all, a lot of time for it to crop up before we came along. A long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Would alien life shut up all earth's religions? :P

No, I don't think so. Christians would probably say aliens were demons as would the other two major religions. At least that's what I would expect.

Remember that Voyager episode where they come across intelligent reptiles that originally were from Earth, but fled when the dinosaurs died out (or the comet hit, or whatever it was) ? Pretty interesting episode actually. Though, for us not to have discovered their bones, they must've burned their dead or something.

Remember that Voyager episode where they come across intelligent reptiles that originally were from Earth, but fled when the dinosaurs died out (or the comet hit, or whatever it was) ? Pretty interesting episode actually. Though, for us not to have discovered their bones, they must've burned their dead or something.

VOY 3x23 Distant Origin

Maybe humanity realises that if we remain on Earth, we're doomed and must leave Earth and search for a future among the stars... ;)

I voted: alien germs exist.

I don't consider life "discovered" in our own solarsystem as "alien".

Since there's no evidence of life outside our solarsystem, the lifeforms discovered would most likely be germs. And if germs exist the the odds are that higher lifeforms could also exist.

I think that alien germs exist. And i seriously doubt that if Alien life exist, that it will contact us. I think T'pol said some thing like 1 in 45,000 planets contian intelegent life.

To me that sounds right, not that thoes numbers are right- but that life probly exist far apart form eachother.

But we can hope :p

I think this question depends upon relativity.

Who says that Humans are intelligent? Us.

We maybe like a virus/ bacteria/monkey/ to another lifeform which is far more advanced. This is all speculation.

I do believe that we cannot be the only living things with the amount of stars and worlds out there.

If there was another intelligent species out there how did they stumble across us. Was it by accident?

In any case as an opened minded person about most things, but an athiest I am waiting for some kind of proof of spirits or aliens. Nothing has convinced me yet but i am still waiting.

Trust no one.

The truth is out there.

:p

Yes, but the Milky Way alone contains up to 400 billion stars, each having a couple of planets perhaps.

And then we have Andromeda, which is slightly bigger I think.

Can't someone vote for no aliens so I can argue against them?

I would vote no but I've already voted alien germs...

Since non-intelligent life is far more likely than intelligent aliens, that wouldn't be much of an argument anyway...

The Drake ekvation:

N = R * f(p) * n(e) * f(l) * f(i) * f© * L

i think due too the amount of star's their is nearly guranteed too be intelligent life out their, i think mayby some have visited us mayby for science? mayby just for a rest on a long jorney? i dont think i could know unless i had access 2 all the Area 51 files.

i dont think we will meet any aliens in my life time tho 100 odd years is microscopic on the time scale of the universe, theirs no rush too meet them :), i think within about 2500 years we will have made first contact

Awww... where's the option of "The likelihood of alien life is virtually certain, but we don't have any actual samples yet to make it a fact."

... I'd pick that one. ^^

If we assume the universe started fom a single point we could very well be alone as the conditions to sustain life are very complex and the chance of a re-occurence of those conditions anywhere else in the universe are slim.

Sorry, but your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise... why does the origin point of the universe have anything directly to do with the complexity of conditions for life? (just a comment...)

We maybe like a virus/ bacteria/monkey/ to another lifeform which is far more advanced. This is all speculation.

Given our resource-wasting lifestyles and habit of spreading everywhere with no thought of future sustainability, they may very well be right ;p...

Also, there are a lot of different sorts of 'intelligence'... ours is just one.