Highway Robbery

Guest c4evap

Just priced the complete boxed editions of all 5 Star Trek TV series at Bestbuy. Holy sh!t!

VOY = $696.98

ENT = $407.98

TOS = $319.99

DS9 = $620.48

TNG = $620.48

Calling this highway robbery is being kind. The worst is TOS. This series is over 30 years old and they are still charging top dollar. Freakin' amazing! COSSACKS! No wonder we download. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... :mad:

c4 :(

they really are overpriced. the ONLY star trek dvds that are not are the special collectors edition movies which is why those are the only ones i have (well the TNG ones).

If they priced each season at $50 or $60 i'm sure they'd make a LOT more sales but then you'd have people complaining about the prices being lowered so it'll probably never go that low (if you call that low).

they really are overpriced. the ONLY star trek dvds that are not are the special collectors edition movies which is why those are the only ones i have (well the TNG ones).

If they priced each season at $50 or $60 i'm sure they'd make a LOT more sales but then you'd have people complaining about the prices being lowered so it'll probably never go that low (if you call that low).

I agree totally. $50 for a series? I'd own them all. As it stands now...I'll have to download what I want.

They are forcing me to be a pirate! :p

c4 B)

DVD's are only about 10p to manufacture........this is clearly aimed at robbing the fans.

My suggestion is to go to Ebay and buy them from there second hand. If you can stomach VHS you can pick those for almost nothing......most shops are giving them away. My local gave me the Borg Boxed set!

My Best of Both Worlds tapes are worn out.......lol

I only own the films on DVD.

the reason they can charge so much and get a away with it, is because there are enough fans out there that will buy it at the current prices. What's more, all of us are planning to one day spend that much money for them.

if everyone would stop buying the dvd sets then prices would come down, but the problem is getting everyone to stop buying, and then wait for prices to decrease

Sure it's overpriced... but then supply and demand mean that - perversely - the price is likely to rise the fewer units they shift.

Of course, it's a downward spiral - company makes the product overpriced, people don't buy it, etc.

That said - to go "a DVD costs only 10p to produce!" is hopeless oversimplification. Let's not forget that everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Sure it's overpriced... but then supply and demand mean that - perversely - the price is likely to rise the fewer units they shift.

Of course, it's a downward spiral - company makes the product overpriced, people don't buy it, etc.

That said - to go "a DVD costs only 10p to produce!" is hopeless oversimplification. Let's not forget that everyone wants a piece of the pie.

A piece of the pie? Sh!t...next it'll be my firstborn! :p

c4 B)

They are quite expensive in the UK too averaging about £80 per season regardless of series.

I have always waited until shops reduce or start doing bogof's (buy one get one free).

I picked up the entire series of TNG for £200 on DVD.

Thing is I have still downloaded both Nite Shadows and other slightly higher capacity rips, as I don't want to wear down or damage the DVD discs. Plus its nice to have all the eps on the PC at hand.

I do have over 3TB of harddrive space though, and a projector :)

Um, actually 90% of stuff in China, and Asia for that matter is bootleg. It's the only way they can afford it. I know, I lived there and went to the shops. It's rare to find ANYTHING on video that has been legally reproduced that comes from China, unless it's in Chinese and sold through a legitimate source. And considering there is hardly a market for anything related to Star Trek there, you have to wonder where they got the source material..

And if you read their website closely, and have an understanding of the intricacies of English, you will know.

Anyway, isn't the DVD format outdated when some of these shows were in HDTV format? Personally, I'd stick with the downloads. At least you won't be disappointed if it's not up to your standards hehe.

In Sydney Australia theres this great chinese run dvd store in town, where I've now spent enough to have warranted a permanent 10% discount. They sell mostly asian movies and anime BUT they've got a range of boxed sets. I got myself the complete collection of all movies by Akira Kurasawa for $120.00 (aussie dollars) - talk about a bargain.

Anyhow they had the 1st season of DS9 for sale for a similairly ridiculous price, so of course I bought it. Trouble is - at least half the episodes just get all glitchy freezing the DVD player. So yeah, I'd be wary about buying bootleg dvds.

Mind you - that's the only purchase I've made from that shop that gave me any grief.