What's on TV in the US this week?

Annika

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am proud to say that I don't watch television. Though there has been the odd occaision, I've kept away from TV for the past 3 years. For my news, I rely on the internet and talk radio (NPR w/BBC feeds). I've found that I usually know about important events before they hit mainstream. :p

• 2 weeks later...

well, let's count Friday as part of this coming "week":

Friday we had the returning from mid season Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica. (all three were great as usual, in my opinion).

Sunday, while not new, we have a nice recurring recape of Deadwood s2 and Sopranos s5 (both of which start there new seasons in the coming months)

Monday has a new Surface if I recall right.

Tuesday has a new Gilmore Girls (ok, my guilty pleasure) and Supernatural

Wednesday see's the return of new Lost and Invasion.

Not sure if there's a new Smallville on Thursday, I'll google it later.

And we meet back on Friday with yet another new night of "sci fi friday" ;)

this idea of the yanks to rest a series half way thru is a stupid onw

No it isn't. If shows ran straight through, there'd be nothing to watch after February. All reruns. That's why American networks developed the current schedule of repeating episodes, so they could stretch out the season to Memorial Day (may).

troy

this idea of the yanks to rest a series half way thru is a stupid onw

No it isn't. If shows ran straight through, there'd be nothing to watch after February. All reruns. That's why American networks developed the current schedule of repeating episodes, so they could stretch out the season to Memorial Day (may).

troy

Well he has a point, the American system is fubar. Not cause they stretch out it to make it last longer, but because there is so little of it. The average hour long show runs between 20-24 episodes a season. If you ran new episodes each week (at 24 a season) then you'd have a full 6 months worth of content. But production time, shooting time, post preduction etc takes forever for some shows. They stretch them out to not only make it appear to last longer, but give themselves time to shoot it. If they just hit us up with 6 months of new episodes back to back they'd be in a rush to film the next season.

What erks me is not so much the rerun schedule, but when it goes into effect. Most shows went into reruns Thanksgiving Week, a week when most Americans are at home with family where tv watching is at one of it's highest points..Then we got a week, maybe two if we were lucky, of new episodes leading into December. But then we went three weeks, sometimes the entire month in December (depending apon which show) without new episodes. The entire month of the christmas season, reruns. Most grade/junior/high school kids get a week too two weeks off for christmas, as do most college kids so boom right there is a large demographic they could air too...A great christmas present would have been new sci fi stuff between christmas eve and the day after christmas with there was nothing on tv except reruns of holiday movies..

Oh and the only real mid season breaks, are the Sci Fi channel's shows. You look at Lost, it took a three week break, Stargate(s) and BSG were in reruns for literally, three months..... Maybe if they didn't start their new season in ya know, early July..we could kind of stretch those new episodes a little more :(

You are mistaken. The reason TV networks *don't* show new episodes during holidays is because most people are NOT home. Just check the Nielsen ratings.... # of viewers plummets during Thanksgiving & Christmas. It makes no sense to air new shows while people are visiting Grandma & Grandpa and/or getting drunk at the club. Better to wait until January/February when there's literally nothing to do except sit in front of the TV.

BTW, if you study OLD shows (like Star Trek TOS or Mash) you'll notice they did do 26 episodes per year. 26 weeks of new & 26 weeks of repeats with the repeats sprinkled throughout the year. But the networks cut back to 20 because, like you said, it's become terribly expensive to create new product. They can no longer afford to do 26.

As for Sci-Fi Channel, well it's cable, and cable can't go head-to-head with over-the-antenna networks. It would be suicide. So they schedule new shows during the summer when networks are showing reruns. Cable's schedule is more-or-less opposite what NBC/CBS/ABC do, so as to avoid direct competing.

troy

US television sucks. They repeat everything about a billion times' date=' before they get anything new. Friday is like the only good night for T.V. [/quote']

Heh. You ought to try watching Canadian, British, or German TV sometime. I have, and it's even worse. Either (a) the original programming is so bad, it's painful, or (b) the original programming is good, but there's only 1 show per year worth watching which is just pathetic, or © they are showing reruns of U.S. tv I already saw many, many years ago. Foreign TV makes u.s. tv look like pure gold.

I feel very fortunate to have U.S. TV with its ~100 channels of programming, ~15 of which are producing ~100 shows * 20 episodes = 2000 new episodes every year. Even if you watched 4 hours of TV a day, it would still take you 500 days to keep up with all those shows! U.S. TV doesn't suck. It's fantastic! Yep.... we here in the U.S. are fortunate to have so much entertainment to choose from.

ASIDE: Some of you will probably dispute my "about 15 channels producing new episodes" claim, so here's a quick list: ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, UPN, FX, USA, ABCfamily, SCIFI, HBO, TNT, Nick, Disney, History/TLC/Discovery/Animal Planet, and probably a few others I've forgotten (hence the phrase "about 15").

I'd highly reccomend Trailer Park Boys for anyone interested in a comedy series that revolves around Canadian street crime, from the criminals perspective. Definatelly an aquired taste. Troy would hate it, but anyone down with hard drinking, some occasional recreational drug use, loaded hand guns, so much profanity that it looses all meaning after a season, and looking for examples / tips on how to beat the fuzz would like it.

Ha Ha we've heard of Trailer Park Boys here in the UK. I found it sad that people in Canada are so stupid. These people should of been put to sleep long ago. We should have a series like that in the UK.......The Pikee Boys.........based around Irish jippos robbing houses, garden ornaments and visiting leisure centres to have a wash. our trailer park boys also have guns so you wouldnt be missing out on that. Throw in a few Irish folk songs for the theme.........great show concept.

I'd highly reccomend Trailer Park Boys for anyone interested in a comedy series that revolves around Canadian street crime' date=' from the criminals perspective. Definatelly an aquired taste. Troy would hate it, but anyone down with hard drinking, some occasional recreational drug use, loaded hand guns, so much profanity that it looses all meaning after a season, and looking for examples / tips on how to beat the fuzz would like it.[/quote']

Wow. That sounds like it's right up my alley. Torrents anyone?

Here and here.

c4 B)