Babylon 5

wesi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually checking out the movies right now. I've watched the first three of five, and I must say I really have enjoyed them quite a bit. I was a bit unsure how they'd be or how I'd feel about them, but they really ARE very good (in my opinion, that is). As soon as I'm done typing out this message I'm going to start watching the fourth movie. I highly recommend the movies. I can't say anything about the final two movies, as I haven't watched them yet, but the first three of five are VERY well worth it. :-)

Babylon 5 in my opinion was the last truely good Sci-fi series that actually was well written, had a good balance of originality, excellent dialogue and extremely well written characters on top of that. If theres one show that does deserve to come back its B5. Allthough thats not to bash other stuff these days, Battlestar Galactica is very good too, but I will see if it stands up to the ned of its 2nd season first.

There are 5 TV films and a spin off 13 episode series called Crusade. All worth downloading IMO.

Babylon 5 in my opinion was the last truely good Sci-fi series that actually was well written, had a good balance of originality, excellent dialogue and extremely well written characters on top of that. If theres one show that does deserve to come back its B5. Allthough thats not to bash other stuff these days, Battlestar Galactica is very good too, but I will see if it stands up to the ned of its 2nd season first.

There are 5 TV films and a spin off 13 episode series called Crusade. All worth downloading IMO.

Thank you all. Now does someone know the correct order in which the movies should be watched?

I don't know if there's is a "correct order" to watching the films. So far, it seems to me that they are fine to watch in any order and not mess up your understanding of what's going on. I'm just watching them in the order that they are listed:

1 - 'The Gathering'

2 - 'In The Beginning'

3 - 'Thirdspace'

4 - 'The River Of Souls'

5 - 'A Call To Arms'

You're welcome. I've finished watching all five of the B-5 movies and I must say that I really enjoyed ALL of them quite a bit. I recommend just downloading them all and enjoy them as often as you like.

I have to agree with Cypha01. I think that B-5 was in many ways superior to some of the other sci-fi shows on television. I don't want to start a mud-slinging thread here, because I enjoy most sci-fi all around, but for me there really WAS something "special" about B-5. I really came to like the characters, I was really interested in the ongoing storyline, and it just didn't seem as "stereotypical" or predictable as some sci-fi shows can be.

I remember NOT enjoying B-5 when it was actually on television because it IS more of a continuing story line (as the five year storyline was already pretty much laid out when it began). I wasn't able to watch every week so I was lost as to what was going on, but when I was able to check out the DVD's from the public library and watch the whole series from start to finish, I ended up just LOVING the show!

Well, to end my rambling, I'm going to be downloading the entire series as soon as I can make some room on my hard drive. ;-)

Have a "Happy New Year", everyone! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Truly THE most over-rated Sci-Fi show of all time. Don't get wrong, it was a great series overall once you got passed the tragedy of the first season. (Tragedy in that it was put to film) JMS isn't really all that great either. He makes mediocre shows that on occasion border brilliance. Jeremiah's "Captain Iron" speech, Marcus's "You Want War?", Sheridan's declaration of separation at the end of season 3(?), the characters and relationship between G'Kar and Lando or Kurdy and Jeremiah. But like I said, the shows themselves are uneven and mostly average on mediocrity. Good show, just way too many people consider it the best thing since sliced bread.

I see your point but considering the crap that came out after Babylon5 bar battlestar galactica it IS the last good sci-fi series. Stuff like Andromeda, Enterprise, Invasion, new dr who, SGatlantis ect are incredibly dumb and uninspirational only aimed at the lowest common demoninator.

I see your point but considering the crap that came out after Babylon5 bar battlestar galactica it IS the last good sci-fi series. Stuff like Andromeda' date=' Enterprise, Invasion, new dr who, SGatlantis ect are incredibly dumb and uninspirational only aimed at the lowest common demoninator.[/quote']

Wait so there hasn't been any great sci-fi shows since Babylon 5? Farscape, Firefly, Odyssey 5, and Lost come to mind. (The last arguably not really sci-fi, but that's another thread entirely). I think Galactica is the only show since Babylon 5 to get the same amount of attention, even surpassing Babylon 5 in it's mainstream appeal. Moore's Galactica is going to change the genre for many years the come. For the better, but again...another thread.

Wait so there hasn't been any great sci-fi shows since Babylon 5? Farscape' date=' Firefly, Odyssey 5, and Lost come to mind. (The last arguably not really sci-fi, but that's another thread entirely). I think Galactica is the only show since Babylon 5 to get the same amount of attention, even surpassing Babylon 5 in it's mainstream appeal. Moore's Galactica is going to change the genre for many years the come. For the better, but again...another thread.[/quote']

Firefly and Farscape are awfull IMO, you couldnt of chosen more worse examples. I would hardly call Firefly sci-fi, its just a boring western in space masquerading as something more interesting with the pretty visuals. Farscape is just buck rogers meets Flash gordon for the 2000's, very cheesy. Odyessy 5 I have not heard of, but I will check it out.

And I agree Galactica will change the genre for years to come for the better.

For me, I think I enjoyed B5 in a different way than most. I haven't had a television in eight years now, and watch DVD's on my PC (and now with Niteshdw, some more WONDERFUL sci-fi shows!). When B5 was originally on television, I only saw sporradic episodes during the first season. B5 just really isn't the kind of show that you could pick up on what is going on by watching individual episodes every now and then. Therefore, I was turned off of the show at that time.

However, last winter I checked out the entire seasons from the public library and watched the whole series from start to finish (a pretty good way to make it through the dull drums of winter, I'd say). By being able to watch the entire series from start to finish in that fashion, I really fell in love with the show and the characters. No, I don't think it was perfect or that there wasn't room for improvement, but I had just finished six years of college with watching NO sci-fi so I was STARVED for sci-fi and B5 certainly filled that need.

For me, I think I actually enjoyed and came to care about the characters on B5 more than I often have for other shows. I don't want to start a pissin' match of B5 vs. DS9 (to each their own), but I just didn't seem to be able to even begin to like so many of the characters on DS9. In all fairness to DS9, I wasn't able to watch all of those episodes either, so as soon as I'm done burning some DVD's and make room on my PC, I'm going to download DS9 and give it another try.

Back to B5 though, I think what I ended up enjoying about it this time around vs. the first attempt at watching it was the very thing that turned me off of it - the continuing story thread. After all, I'd consider B5 to be a bit of a sci-fi soap opera. Hmm, no, that makes it sound bad, but I think you know what I'm trying to say. There was just a complex background story going on that certainly could NOT be wrapped up in a few episodes or even a few seasons.

Wow, I sure rambled on about this. Sorry. :-)

Back to the original intent of this thread, if anyone enjoyed the B5 series and has NOT seen the individual five films that came out after the series was done, I DO recommend them fully as they are able to be seen and understood without difficulty to the original series. I thought they were well done and I enjoyed them very much. :-)

Please, Crichton himself had more emotional resonance then the entire 5 seasons of Babylon 5. It might not of completely taken the science in science fiction seriously, but neither does Galactica. I empathized more with puppets in Farscape then I ever did with Dr Franklin or Ivonova. As for Firefly, you're actually the first person I've heard say Firefly was awful. Buck Rogers wasn't awful, that is if you possess the ability to take the show for what it was and not evaluating it on some criteria of what you think each and every sci-fi show should be.

Dracoons- I don't know, "monsters" composed of black smoke and the other supernatural elements in the show certainly do lean toward sci-fi as a secondary or tertiary label, even if it is atypical of the genre. I wasn't comparing the two either. It is a quality show, and it is has not "lost itself". Season 1 generated too much hype and the second season is naturally feeling the effects of its die down. Lots of people are just pissed they don't know all the secrets of the island! Wahhhh! The plotting, storylines, and character development are all proceeding at the same pace and quality. It's just lost that new car smell for alot of people it seems.

Babylon 5 was -still is a nice brake from star trek , i remember seeing it on Sunday mornings ( aha when i was young) . still watch it whenever i can . very good story lines , the cgi was very well done .... best episodes have got to be the shadow-vorlon war , the day of the dead and the very last season 5 objects at rest (i think) were Sheridan dies ..... still makes my eyes well up that one

As far as the CGI goes, I think it was pretty good for the technology that was available 13 years ago. There are also the budget and time constraints that the producers have to deal with that we never have to deal with. Putting it in the context of the time that it came out and what was technologically availble, I thought the CGI was pretty good. Nowadays, I think a teenage computer geek could probably produce the same or with current technology in software and hardware, probably do even better with the graphics. All in all, I enjoyed it.

I must confess that I haven't seen any of the new Battlestar Galactica yet, so I'll have to try and download some of them and see what all the talk is about that show. From what I've read about it, some people REALLY love it, and some are a bit lukewarm about it. I'll have to check it out for myself. :)