Fuzzy Science

Arktis

Explain some ordinary piece of technology/technological process using the crazy technobabble found on star trek.

Downloading a file:

The flux attenuator narrows the artificial quantum rift created by the polaeron induction matrix, allowing the unilateral directive actuator to locate the relevant polysegmentation pulse generator signal. Once the connection is made, the information is then transfered on a bi-directional carrier wave and then shunted through one of the multi-plexing accumulation ventricles and into the primary database module.

"Like making a telephone call to the past!".

"Precisely.".

Alright...

Uploading a torrent:

A multidirectional interplexing beacon algorithm must be added to a suitable distribution node array located by it's polysegmentation pulse generator signal frequency. This is accomplished by entering the array's precise frequency modulation into a unilateral directive actuator. Access is then granted to the distribution node array's multi-phasic signal interpolator. Provided that the the correct security permissions are entered (if any are required), a subspace uni-directional carrier wave is opened to transfer the beacon algorithm to the distribution node array.

"Like creating a temporary access point to a hijacked borg collective!".

"More or less.".

I'm sure someone else can easily do the "tracker is down" one.

actually i once read that the ST writers when in need os some technobabble explination would place a in the script and leave it to a special technobabble writer who comes in later and fills in between the tags. looks like you would be perfect fot thr job.

Yeah, I heard that too. I believe it was during a documentary film of the making of ST:TNG at the very end of the series. Actually, I think a lot of the time it's actually the actors ad-libing it on the spot. The reason why I think that is that you can spot a few times (like in voyager, which is still fresh in my mind at the moment and actually inspired this thread) where the actor gets a brain freeze during a technobable scene but it made the final cut anyways. Example: Janeway - "I've never heard of that before!" Bel'ana - "That's becase I just came up with it!", or my favorite: Bel'ana - "That thing you just said.". I wish I could remember the specific episodes those quotes were in.

OH I KNOW THAT ONE

Janeway:" i dont believe i have ever heard that one before"

Bel' ana:"oh thats beacuse i just came up with it"

Its in the EPS with 8427, part one. scorpion i think, when they are trying to get the away team off of the bioship b/c the pilot was comming back, but then harry got hit and was tranzported just in time, it was called a skelital lock i think..... i am such a nerd :)

oh i think i just remembered where the other was from. In the eps of VOY where That alien entity took over the holodeck and created that 'beawulf' program to act all weird. They where trying to get the alien thing out of the ship... at least i think that is the eps, but i know that quote from VOY- its on the tip of my toung!!! gahaa

I'm sure I saw something that indicated that the script literally had just a [technobabble] thing and it was just improvised... I could well be wrong but it would at least explain why there are so many idiotic inconsistencies - like power being measured in dynes a unit of force etc.

If there was a special writer doing that junk, you'd think there would be more consistency.