When Will a corporation start EU-wide TV braodcasting?

theaveng

(Sorry. Cheap shot but I couldn't resist. Just a bit'o'fun from a former British slave... er' date=' colonist ol'chap.)[/quote']

not sure i understand this seeing as britain was thirty years ahead of the US in aboliting slavery.

also are you suggesting that america is one whole culture, because that just doesn't make sense

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sky tv - any questions?

Of course. I have absolutely no idea what that is. Please provide details.

havent you got the internet old chap? Do your own research:D

If you didn't want to answer me, why'd you post "any questions?" Don't post that if you don't intend to answer people.

The British like to pretend it is. They also still think they have a worldwide empire.

Like America thinks it ever had one... bah, give the world 200 years of unprecedented, progress, stability and prosperity and all they do is frakking moan about it.

Anyway theaveng - clearly you don't live in Europe (just where are you domocile?) because anyone here would tell you that while on paper it might look like a good idea, it just wouldn't work.

sky tv - any questions?

Of course. I have absolutely no idea what that is. Please provide details.

havent you got the internet old chap? Do your own research:D

If you didn't want to answer me, why'd you post "any questions?" Don't post that if you don't intend to answer people.

i was bein sarcastic.

any questions??????? (just so you know, im bein sarky again)

Well google doesn't actually make you that much wiser. I don't know why Sky TV is relevant for the topic, it's certainly not something you can receive everywhere in Europe. I know for sure that I can't.

where are you from?

and do you have a satellite dish?

im sure that if yo wanted it you couild find a way to get it.

I live in the Netherlands and I don't have a satellite disc. And I'm sure if I wanted - and more importantly: if I could afford it - I could get any channel everywhere in the world, but that's hardly what the topic is about.

You can only call it a European network if it's available for everyone, not just the rich people.

The British like to pretend it is. They also still think they have a worldwide empire. (sorry just a little joke)

Like America thinks it ever had one... bah, give the world 200 years of unprecedented, progress, stability and prosperity and all they do is frakking moan about it.

First off, I was JOKING. Jeez. Don't you have a sense of humor? Apparenlty not, because then you immediately attack America with an insult. The United States never made the claim of "empire". We don't have an Emperor or Monarch. We don't own land outside of our own continent (in fact, it's against the U.S. law to claim territory further than 1000 miles from our shores). American Empire??? That's an attribution that people have falsely applied to our democratic Republic.

And the British. Well they treated their colonists as second-class citizens. And that's being overly-generous. I could have used a harsher term:

British Colonials in America - "No taxation without representation. Give us Parliamentary representation & equality as British citizens."

British - "Screw you inferior dogs!" Repeat in India. Australia. Africa. China. It's all fine & good to be proud of British contributions to the world. I'd be proud too, but let's not forget the evils too.

Don't take english for granted. The scandinavian children learn it in school, but I'm not sure if that's the case in the rest of Europe.

Also, I think not having every english program/movie dubbed on tv helps alot. I've never seen a dubbed program that isn't for children.

I live in the Netherlands and I don't have a satellite disc. And I'm sure if I wanted - and more importantly: if I could afford it - I could get any channel everywhere in the world, but that's hardly what the topic is about.

You can only call it a European network if it's available for everyone, not just the rich people.

well whats the point in a european network if its not all in one language.

unless like the bbc there are regional centres which broadcast to their locality in their own language and have common themes and tv shows (dubbed where necessary) and you can take in to consideration the populus who will be viewing and the diversity of their tastes, which wouldnt be a programming nightmare for the schedulers who would probably wind up fighting everyday (but cool, cos that would be great reality tv).

so, a european network.......what about bradcast frequency? where is one network gonna secure sufficient broadcast rights to do it? and where is the money going to come from? im sure if all the seven year olds on theplanet left every tooth in their heads under their collective pillows the tooth fairy might be gracious enough to loan a few quid on lay away based on your grandchildrens teeth and somr free airtime.

there is a european network and it is sky telly. its just not a free network. no-one said anything about it bein free.

ooh my fingers are tired

so, a european network.......what about bradcast frequency? where is one network gonna secure sufficient broadcast rights to do it? and where is the money going to come from? im sure if all the seven year olds on theplanet left every tooth in their heads under their collective pillows the tooth fairy might be gracious enough to loan a few quid on lay away based on your grandchildrens teeth and somr free airtime.

Like I said... never gonna happen... :p

And I think CNN would probably even qualify sooner than Sky :rolleyes:

Maybe part of the confusion is the term "network" vs channel. When I used the word "network" I was referring to United States usage which is this:

- NBC is located in New York

- They have contracts with ~100 different stations all across the continent

- These stations pick-up NBC from New York & broadcast it in a ~60 mile radius around their central location

- People erect antennas in their homes

- And that's how 99.9% of Americans see NBC... from their local station. FREE.

-

- If you got a map & drew a line between all these stations, you would see a "net" hence the term "network"

So, when I inquired about a European Network, I was visualizing a set-up the same as NBC. Or CBS. ABC. FOX. WB. UPN. ~100 local stations all broadcasting the same program from New York.

Now the networks called WB/UPN (think Buffy & Voyager) have only been around for 10 years... but they already have secured ~90 different stations all across the continent. They started with ~30 in major cities & then gradually grew to 90. An EU network would probably follow the same gradual growth pattern of buying/leasing local station in Paris, Berlin, Rome & then slowly expanding.

SkyTV sounds similar to TNT or USA or TBS here in America. We don't call these "national" or "networks", because they are only available via satellite or cable. Many people don't have those & can't see TNT or USA. Instead, we call them "channels". Or "pay to view". My original question was not about those. My original question was about over-the-air/antenna broadcasting & FREE to receive.

troy

Like I said... never gonna happen... :p

And I think CNN would probably even qualify sooner than Sky :rolleyes:

cnn is a channel not a network

The British like to pretend it is. They also still think they have a worldwide empire.

I say, isnt it those Yankee fellows who are doing all the empire carving these days? Hardly cricket is it old man?

Six of the best, trousers down! Look out, here comes Parkee!

Hmmm. I keep viewing the EU as the US circa 1790. Many states. Many languages (english/german/dutch/spanish).

But after about 50 years, they melded into one whole culture.

pmswl fat chance of that happening thank god lmao...one HUGE difference is that european states are much older than the US States our cultures are alot different and that also includes TV!!

Hmmm. I keep viewing the EU as the US circa 1790. Many states. Many languages (english/german/dutch/spanish).

But after about 50 years, they melded into one whole culture.

pmswl fat chance of that happening thank god lmao...one HUGE difference is that european states are much older than the US States our cultures are alot different and that also includes TV!!

I also vaguely remeber that it required a darned bloody civil war for the US to become united, we had two of those (not really, but both WW's could be seen as such with a little imagination) but nobody was strong enough and all they did was create economic disaster.