WHAT WILL BE FOUND ON MARS

psheldrake1

Best to use what ye have in each enviroment.

Dont wanna waste Earth's precious resources. Besides we have plenty of room for development.

Land & resources are limited. And as for waisting resources. Every day we see garbage on the streets. Maybe we should be sending our garbage to Mars. De-composting matter will heat up the planet in time for us. And supply some of the nutrients need for growth. With the mirrors Von suggested should work quite well. That reminds me of the episode of Futurama, when they had to blow up a ball of garbage with another ball of garbage.

Chances are the garbage will freeze without the proper heat, if the heat doesnt come first. The 'composting' wont exactly work.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read what I wrote. I also mentioned the mirrors Von suggested to heat the planet. Also rotting garbage produces heat. Ever stuck you're hand in a composter. Very hot.

Yeah I read what you wrote, but only after posting did I realize my stupid post; sorry I should have been in bed that time lol.

And yeah , i was near a composter once it was kinda hot. But I know what putting my hand on my computer is like.... burning .... ouch.

The first soybeans grown in space return to Earth aboard the Space Shuttle Atlantis. The seeds were planted and nurtured by scientists from DuPont subsidiary Pioneer Hi-Bred International, germinated, developed into plants, flowered and produced new seedpods in space.

The 97-day growth research initiative is the first-ever to complete a major crop growth cycle in space – from planting seeds to growing new seeds. The research mission aboard the International Space Station demonstrates that space crop production can be accomplished.

http://www1.dupont.com/NASApp/dupontglobal/corp/index.jsp?page=/content/US/en_US/overview/motorsports/salute/aerospace.html

:D

Our best hope is that the water that used to flow on the surface is underground, frozen solid.

We need to launch those orbiting mirrors........!!

:mad:

Can't we use H-Bombs to melt the ice or warm the planet? I'm guessing it could be faster, and H-Bombs leave little radiation afaik.

What makes compost rot? If I’m not mistaken, it's microbes. Wouldn't they stop functioning at that temperature, just as everything (almost) stops rotting in the freezer? Could the microbes live without a proper atmosphere? (Oxygen? Carbon dioxide? Moisture? Proper atmospheric pressure?)

Also, if we build domes, has mars got a thick/dense enough atmosphere to protect the inhabitants from space debris such as meteorites and the likes? If I remember correctly, Jupiter sucks in most of the debris and protects Earth. Does it do the same for Mars?

Best to use what ye have in each enviroment.

Dont wanna waste Earth's precious resources. Besides we have plenty of room for development.

Land & resources are limited. And as for waisting resources. Every day we see garbage on the streets. Maybe we should be sending our garbage to Mars. De-composting matter will heat up the planet in time for us. And supply some of the nutrients need for growth. With the mirrors Von suggested should work quite well. That reminds me of the episode of Futurama, when they had to blow up a ball of garbage with another ball of garbage.

Chances are the garbage will freeze without the proper heat, if the heat doesnt come first. The 'composting' wont exactly work.

yeah, also doesnt decomposition require oxygen?

things are lookin up.

soil composition on mars looks encouraging. lots of minerals in the soil, because mars is volcanic.

lots of water trapped under permafrost just waiting for a little thawing

LOADS of CO2 in the atmosphere, 95%.

max temp at equator 25c at mid day, down to maybe -50 or so at night.

oxygen on this planet is a bi-product of plant life. like we're breathin plant shit.

so, if hardy enough plants were located we could start palntin and recreate on mars the same thing that happened on earth which scientists call, "the big burp"

refs below ;)

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2004/25.cfm

http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/exhibits/mars/voyage/atmos.html

Even if Mars could be colonized would it become a 'colony' or would it become independant? Because I sure as heck wouldnt want to see a rebelling planet or something like that.

However it would be cool if mars was col'ed. that it would be in a "Cooperative Federation" with earth, of course with no one bodied goverment of the world but like what we have now seperate govs/sects in cooperation and peace etc.

Even if Mars could be colonized would it become a 'colony' or would it become independant? Because I sure as heck wouldnt want to see a rebelling planet or something like that.

However it would be cool if mars was col'ed. that it would be in a "Cooperative Federation" with earth, of course with no one bodied goverment of the world but like what we have now seperate govs/sects in cooperation and peace etc.

was also reading that mars has very abundant iron supplies but there would be no way mars could be independant for a long time.it would require supplies from earth for too many things.

and i think there may be a topic in colonising mars.

would you wanna go? B)

Can't we use H-Bombs to melt the ice or warm the planet? I'm guessing it could be faster' date=' and H-Bombs leave little radiation afaik.[/quote']

Um, no.......

What makes compost rot? If I’m not mistaken' date=' it's microbes. Wouldn't they stop functioning at that temperature, just as everything (almost) stops rotting in the freezer? Could the microbes live without a proper atmosphere? (Oxygen? Carbon dioxide? Moisture? Proper atmospheric pressure?)[/quote']

You'd be shocked at what lives at the North Pole.....

Also' date=' if we build domes, has mars got a thick/dense enough atmosphere to protect the inhabitants from space debris such as meteorites and the likes? If I remember correctly, Jupiter sucks in most of the debris and protects Earth. Does it do the same for Mars?[/quote']

Mars is 1/3rd the size of Earth. If Mars is hit by an asteroid, it won't matter what the domes are made of.

:stare:

what does live at the north pole?

041108_north_pole.jpg

Walruses on the Bering Sea. The Arctic teems with life, from its largest predators, the killer whale and the polar bear, to small birds like the tiny Arctic tern.

Photograph courtresy NOAA

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/11/1108_041108_north_pole.html

:stare: :stare: :stare:

So true. Most people have never travelled outside their own state, let alone to the territories. The vastness is uncanny. You can get lost in thought easyly. The last time was there, was in 96 with my wife ( she's Dene ) She made her brothers take me on a caraboo hunt. Middle of summer. Fantastic. I've seen nothing yet to compare it with.

So true. Most people have never travelled outside their own state, let alone to the territories. The vastness is uncanny. You can get lost in thought easyly. The last time was there, was in 96 with my wife ( she's Dene ) She made her brothers take me on a caraboo hunt. Middle of summer. Fantastic. I've seen nothing yet to compare it with.

Me & the cold don't get along, or I'd probably have went with you! My brother in law & me went fishing for Musky up in Ely, Mn years ago, and if it weren't for the cold weather, I'd have been perfect.

:rolleyes:

......So why am I wanting to go to a cold planet? Good question! I believe there may be traces of long forgotten civilizations on Mars. Besides, I can make good money farming the asteroid belt & designing spaceships!

:D