BSG Cussing

S0V13T

I never really got the point of swear word substitutes...

We all know what they mean and the intention behind them is the same - why should a letter make a difference?

Because the same reference may not apply or they simply developed differently.

There are lots of regular words which can mean two different things depending on which country you come from...

like the german for the numeral 6 is pronounced 'sechs' so if you went to a German town and started screaming SEX people would wonder what the hell you were screaming 6 for.

Substitutes also allow them to swear outside the censors control - we know it really means f*ck when they say frak but frak is not a swear in current english just like frell and feck aren't either so it's acceptable for a general audience

I donk know what all the funkin fuss is about, i dont give a frak, we all use the F-word nowadays from the age of 5 upwards so why the hell dont they use the Freckin word as nature intended instead of the ballhooks we get nowadays.

i guess its to do with the over 70's barstools who are in charge of censoring what they can allow to be heard by our oh so precious little ears. The funkin sheets should spend one day in a nursary to realise the lil funkers are f-in an blindin already so who exactly are they defending?

not frekkin me thats for sure.

you have a serious cussing problem :|

False analogy to German - assuming those people didn't speak English, they don't have a clue why you kept shouting six.

Substitutes are just away around assinine American censors. Goodness, it's ok to have billion of people killed in a nuclear holocaust. People blown up on a regular basis, get drunk, lie, cheat, steal, pretty much have on-screen sex BUT FOR BUDDHA'S SAKE DON'T LET THEM SAY A BAD WORD.

I entirely understand your point and concede the point.

False analogy to German - assuming those people didn't speak English, they don't have a clue why you kept shouting six.

Substitutes are just away around assinine American censors. Goodness, it's ok to have billion of people killed in a nuclear holocaust. People blown up on a regular basis, get drunk, lie, cheat, steal, pretty much have on-screen sex BUT FOR BUDDHA'S SAKE DON'T LET THEM SAY A BAD WORD.

I entirely understand your point and concede the point.

F*CK YEAH! :p

You know all this has me wondering what road they will go down when they do reach us.

As it's been said we cuss frequently and when BSG reaches Earth will they make it authentic and have people going sh*t, f*ck, b*tch or will it be another time from us like fifty years from now when people have gone all 'demolition man' and outlawed swearing, drinking, sex, etc.

Of course it assumes that they will eventually find us... just as long as they don't have that stupid time-travel episode to start with.

I donk know what all the funkin fuss is about, i dont give a frak, we all use the F-word nowadays from the age of 5 upwards so why the hell dont they use the Freckin word as nature intended instead of the ballhooks we get nowadays.

i guess its to do with the over 70's barstools who are in charge of censoring what they can allow to be heard by our oh so precious little ears. The funkin sheets should spend one day in a nursary to realise the lil funkers are f-in an blindin already so who exactly are they defending?

not frekkin me thats for sure.

you have a serious cussing problem :|

lol i know its watching to much sci-fi that does it, now where the frell was I.

• 4 months later...

I'm quite the new BSG fan, and I'm still to watch all episodes, however when looking at episode 2x07, Home part 2, this topic came to mind. I'm confident that while Gaius gets his brainscan and he bangs his head after number six grabs his private parts, the doctor says "Oh fuck. I told you not to move."

On a sidenote, censoring, or even substituting swear words is total hypocricy. I guess it's meant to be "for the sake of the children", so they won't learn "bad words". It's ignorant to think that kids these days don't already know these words, and every person watching the show know what word they're reffering to.

I'm happy to live in Sweden and don't have to put up with all this censoring crap.

Forbidden words hold power, especially for children. It's something that is deeply engrained into human life. In the adult world, I think any word should be acceptable as long as the laguage in use is being used to appropriately describe whatever point is being made. Nothing is unnaceptable to me if it is used with relevance and purpose in the name of good faith. In that light, censorship seems more like fascism than anything else.