What shows are available for download (legally)?

theaveng

[EDIT - Meaning you pay someone $1 or $2, and then download the file.]

Surface right? Also Desperate Housewives. And Doctor Who (for UK residents). How about 24? I'd like to catch up on 24's first 4 seasons.

How many here are taking advantage of these downloads?

wtf it was still on the first page, maybe four threads down. did it really need a bump?

and no im not aware of many free shows. though this past summer Yahoo released most of the old Super Mario Bros Super Show to be viewed via streaming windows media player on their site, thats abou all I know of

on iTunes you can download battlestar galactica, conan o'brien, desperate housewives, monk, knightrider, the office, lost and some others i'm not remembering at the moment for $1.99 an episode. but it's ipod video format and it's really tiny

*Mav thanks for the tip on the yahoo mario brothers i loved that show!

Well, according to Mav's thread in the other sci-fi forum, we may 'soon' be able to download Firefly season2 via the internet, if enough support is found. I read somewhere else that some studios were thinking of setting up a service for downloading episodes of popular series for money, but I don't remember where I read it. I don't think they've started it yet though....

You know what I would do if I was one of the MPAA guys? Instead of spemding untold millions of dollars tracking down, and shutting down torrent sites / filing lawsuits, I'd have a team track down the really good encoders.

After I could track them down, I'd be offering them jobs. Take the source footage from a few movies that would be feasable to sell as downloads on the internet, to the 'typical' internet surfer (14 - 30, male) (Like Star Wars, Equalibrium and Anime, and not so much 'chick flicks').

I'd have the encoders on my pay roll working together to make supremely high quality avi / mpg's, and have them think-tank it up to make the file size small enough to make potentially hundreds of thousands of people be able to download it (for a small price to pay the encoders, bandwidth usage / servers)

But someone would pay for the download, and make a torrent for it, and we'd see it on demonoid with in the hour of the first release. Just a thought.

It seems that online retailers of legal MP3's are doing very well these days. it WOULD be really nice to have a legal alternative to download TV shows / Movies. I for one really, really really hate the whole walmart / human interaction for buying something experience.

on iTunes you can download battlestar galactica' date=' conan o'brien, desperate housewives, monk, knightrider, the office, lost and some others i'm not remembering at the moment for $1.99 an episode. but it's ipod video format and it's really tiny[/quote']

Let's see... At about 24-25 episodes in a season... At about $2.00 an episode... (24x$2.00=$48.00) Heck, that's the price they charge when they first release a show on DVD. More, actually, since it's on sale (about $40.00) when it first appears. Plus, you get all those extras that fans would want. Why the hell would someone wanna download itty-bitty files for iPods when they can buy the DVD? I know the portability is very attractive, but it pretty sad when you gotta watch TV shows everywhere you go.