War, what is it good for?

GhostShadow

- Humane point-of-view: War should only be considered for something that is imperative for survival and even then only after all possible other means have been exausted.

- Opportunistic point-of-view: War should be attempted every time when there most likely is more to gain from it then there is too lose. (However war is a very costly business, so the gain better be real good.)

- Realistic point-of-view: Probably somewhere in between the previous two, where exactly, very-very-very difficult question. When you're not really faced with the problems people who deal with these things are faced with all the time and you don't have a clear view, it doesn't make answering this question any easier....

- remark: Wouldn't it all be so much better if we all had no problems with each others religion/economic opportunities/borders/race/nationality/language/.... To all be of the same nation and live happily beside each other. To be able to say: I'm from Earth, we don't have seperate countries anymore, we share, .... Aahh, a man can dream....

War makes people stronger - without war - people cannot learn how to defend themselves

Ah, interesting notion, but would there be a reason for people to defend themselves if there was no war, ever?

And what about wars that are nowhere near you? I'd sooner say there are less 'bloody' ways for learning to defend yourself. Just you wait 'till I patent holosuites... :D

Yes but wars don't just make us stronger - they open us up to new ideas and create new friendships - only when fighting side by side - can you truely respect the men around you

....not that i'd know or anything.... :rolleyes:

Yes but wars don't just make us stronger - they open us up to new ideas and create new friendships - only when fighting side by side - can you truely respect the men around you.

And, they dehumanize people.

In order to kill, the enemy must be seen as subhuman scum. This dehumanizes the victors as well as the vanquished, and leads to the commission of all sorts of atrocities.

I believe there are better ways to resolve disputes, not that I'm any expert.

I was raised much the same way as everybody else; so, I have just as much to learn about the ways of peace.

After World War II - the entertainment industry boomed - the war was over and people wanted to relax so many new distractions opened up such as movie making, gambling, and new strides in fashion - all things that have been intigrated into our culture.

Yes lives are lost in wars and i'm not saying there good or anything but i think they are necissary to make sure we don't become complacent. There would be less pressure on nations to advance with technology as well.

What would the world be like today if all of the previous wars in our history hadn't occured?

WAR wHAT IS IT gOOD FOR?

WELL inventiveness goes up in times of war

shame they never found cold fusion instead of splitting atoms

people get closer, girls knickers get easier to remove (dun believe me? ask the yanks that was over here in the last major war lol)

Yes lives are lost in wars and i'm not saying there good or anything but i think they are necissary to make sure we don't become complacent. There would be less pressure on nations to advance with technology as well.

I see. So, famine, disease, environmental destruction, motor vehicle and other accidents, murder, birth defects, spousal and other violence, sexual abuse, natural disasters, and old age (just to name a few), aren't enough, huh?

What would the world be like today if all of the previous wars in our history hadn't occured?

Peaceful. :cyclops:

I'm really bad at history - but during wars - nations often unite and come together in friendship - after wars - these friendships normally become stronger - technologly and other things can be exchanged.

Britain was at war with Germany like 60 odd years ago - now they are both part of the European Union!

And - famine, disease, environmental destruction, motor vehicle and other accidents, murder, birth defects, spousal and other violence, sexual abuse, natural disasters, and old age ----< this is different to that - i mean those things are almost everyday things - War happens rarley - and when it does happen - it is normally much greater - there is always much more to it - a war could last many years and with famine for example - there isn't much you - the person starving - can do about it - but in a war you can fight for your country or just do somthing to help...

War makes people stronger - without war - people cannot learn how to defend themselves

Without war, people don't need to defend themselves.

War is foreign policy carried out through violence.

War is fat cats getting rich on the blood of innocents and the blood of the well intentioned and loyal youth of this world.

War should NEVER be romanticised. War is brutal. War scars the mind and body.

War should NEVER be romanticised. War is brutal. War scars the mind and body.

yes of course it is - and that's why it makes people stronger - among other things

I mean all the experiences of war and the history behind it is unimaginable because you can learn so much from war

It makes people work together but at the same time - learn to be more independent

sorry - i'm finding it difficult to get my points across here...i hope some of this is making sense... :)

WAR SUCKS!

...but is sometimes a necessary evil.

c4 :(

yes exactly! :cyclops: - War is a terrible thing but is necessary to make sure we don't become complacent, as i said, and so that we can be a stronger race...