are we coming to a point where religion is doing more bad than good?

raden

You have all gone insane by this topic. Sheesh! Chill out people. And you are watching star trek?! :D

As for me? I'm just playing as if I'm a character in the 'Left Behind' series by Tim LaHaye. It's very popular amongst christian conservatives, as they believe it to be a realistic depiction of how the world is going to unfold in the very near future. The book outlines how a one world faith endorsed by the UN brings about the process of tattooing people with the 'mark of the beast' to indicate that they belong to the one world faith, which preaches world peace. Of course really it's a ploy to bring about the anti-christ. It's funny, because it's what right wing evangelicals actually believe is happening in the world today, they see the formation of the EU as the first step, and America's defense of Isreal is almost entirely because it will disprove they're current interpretation of biblical prophecy if Jerusalem isn't in the hands of the Jews. The Maitreya actually is just a sort of bhuddist messiah figure, which christian conservatives have also latched onto as the antichrist. So really I'm just messin' with the Jesus-Boy. But hey, I bet he goes out and reads the Left Behind series now!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can be an atheist and hate god all you want but you dont have the right to impose your 'beliefs' on others. Thank god that you will never be in a position to do so.

I will not be in a position to do so, but the UN armed forces will be, and they will march with the wind of The Maitreya, to protect people like me from murderous zealots like you.

You do know you are just spouting BS now.

Religion doesn't hurt anyone, people do. You are one of those manic crazy people who think that just because people know god exists means they are gonna go kill you all. Trying to stop religion will only cause more wars not less.

bugger i think that ghostshadow needs to grow up get a girl frend and of course stop watching star trek because its probely a sin buy now. and as for the other nutter all i can say is oh dear. i think that the only thing us sane and normal people should do is build a bloody big ship and leave the nutters to fight it out

[sarcasm]I'm cerainly glad most of the atheists here are not intolerant and close-minded like those pesky Christians, who viciously attack those who believe differently. After all, you know you are so much better than that.[/sarcasm]

GhostShadow said he would fight for the right to believe as he wished, for which you all condemned him. Would any of you meekly bow down to a creed or god you believe wrong if threatened? Would any of you surrender your right to believe as you wish?

The Federation has room for many creeds and beliefs. It's a shame this site and it's members who profess to admire those ideals do not.

GhostShadow said he would fight for the right to believe as he wished, for which you all condemned him.

No, he said he would kill someone for trying to get him to stop believing in Jesus. That was an inherently contradictory statement, as believing in Jesus means you follow his teachings, and following his teachings means you are a pacifist.

[sarcasm]I'm cerainly glad most of the atheists here are not intolerant and close-minded like those pesky Christians, who viciously attack those who believe differently. After all, you know you are so much better than that.[/sarcasm]

You know, there is one big difference between us and all you religious types: we can prove everything we believe in. Yeah, I know it is not PC to be an atheist who doesn't respect others' beliefs, but you know what? I, and many other atheists out there, are sick and tired of trying to placate the delusional fools who believe in some magical daddy in the sky. It is patently absurd, and I have lived far too long, and seen far too many horrible things happen because "god wants me to do it", to think it is some kind of innocent fun, or whatever the hell people think it is.

Religion is a cancer, and I am hoping for some chemo.

This still meant religion was the cause' date=' not the people believing.[/quote']

Not the cause, the means (to power).

As for my quote, isn`t this post on religion causing some bad vibes, thereby more harm than good.

(Not from me, I have love for everyone) ;)

Bad vibes dont "emanate" from the topic but from the people, dont you agree?

I totally agree, it's just so maddening to have to deal with these religeous zealots on here like GhostShadow. Just because the topic suggests that we explore the issue of whether or not religeon still has a place in society, he's all hopped up and ready to go grab his gun and shoot him some commie pinko liberals. Typical immature 16 year old brainwashed American kid. It is the likes of him that will make the glorious appearance of the Maitreya a much more difficult time then it need be. The comfort is in knowing that all will be well soon, no matter the pains.

MAITREYA

This is a rather harsh assessment from someone who advocates forcing a religion on everyone and executing those who refuse to bow down to your 'god'.

That is a complete misunderstanding. This person GhostShadow is saying that he is intollerant and unwilling to hold any but his own beliefs. The Maitreya comes as the incarnation of all the world's religeous beliefs, and all that is asked is that all people are tollerant and live in peace. To be tollerant is not to stubbornly hold to ones narrowminded perception of God, but to accept the all inclusive teachings of the Maitreya. The Maitreya will teach that all men regardless of race or nation should live together in peace. A small mark will be made upon the hand or the forehead of the followers of the Maitreya so that the followers of the teacher will know who they can trust to live together in peace. Hopefully all mankind will want to live together in peace, but when you hear the attitudes of fundamentalists talking about killing for their 'jesus' it has to make you think that those few people may have to be culled to prevent from infecting the whole of humankind. Why should all men suffer for the stubborness of just a few? Why should we be eternally damned to war with one another when we can instead follow the teachings of the Maitreya? It is far wiser to allow history to culminate in this one final solution than it is to allow seething religeous hate to burn for all eternity.

you are damn right i am intolerant to haveing ppl force me to change WHO I AM!. You use the word "peace" as a guise to the real back bone to your backwards reliogon "LIES".

you have crossed borderline communism, you are a communist!

And ppl who believe in jesus is "Infecting" mankind. you are a totlitarian! you know, i couldn't care less about you and your cult, but if you try to change who I am, and try to kill of chistians, i will stand in front of you and defend my religion and my lifestyle. do what you want with ppl who are stupid enough to follow you, b/c if they feel secure in your religion, i am happy for them. that is what religion is about, what you feel comfortable with.

I am just goona say that Segregation, mass murder, false promises, and lies are not something I would feel comfortable in.

Peace-out, Neal

Religion doesn't hurt anyone' date=' people do. [/quote']

Racism doesn't hurt anyone, people do.

It's not the ideas, beliefs, and practices of people that hurt people, it's the people...

What are people again?

its the mentality that hurt ppl. racism destroys the mind of the person it is inherit in.

The Idea of commnism left Russia as a poverty state, it continues to infect the world today and every country that follows communism is a 3rd rate power, suffers from famine, desies, and poverty.

... so was it the ppl that hurt them self... or was it the IDEA of communism.

People keep calling me a clown for saying I will defend my religion, then I am a freaking clown. B/c my religion is part of who I am.

I am one who thinks that Jesus Christ and the Christian religion is something that is to important to let float away in time. we need to defend our religion if fallen under attack. If ppl want to come stomping on ppls toes for believeing in something, i will snap their neck with out second thought.

I am not the first person in the whole damn world to defend the Christian religion... ever hear of the Crusade....?? Reclaim the holy land... the freaking pope preched that!

so back off you infidelic pegan scum

The people hurt themsefls (or others). Idea of communism is actually quite good, only in reality it was never put into practice (they sorta tried but they didnt read Marx properly - hence the disaster).

People keep calling me a clown for saying I will defend my religion, then I am a freaking clown. B/c my religion is part of who I am.

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

-Matthew 5:39 (King James Translation)

Nobody thinks you're a "clown" for wanting to "defend your religion", we think it is absurd to say the things you are saying, when this is the religion you say you believe in.

The people hurt themsefls (or others). Idea of communism is actually quite good, only in reality it was never put into practice (they sorta tried but they didnt read Marx properly - hence the disaster).

Communism is a horrible Idea! What is one place on earth that is worked? Its a horrible idea b/c you own nothing, what is the incentivce to work? omg... i am not gonna e able to explain this to you b.c if you can even understand the fundemental idea of religion, you wont even grasp why communism is horrible.... seems like you all are fools.

People keep calling me a clown for saying I will defend my religion' date=' then I am a freaking clown. B/c my religion is part of who I am. [/quote']

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Nobody thinks you're a "clown" for wanting to "defend your religion", we think it is absurd to say the things you are saying, when this is the religion you say you believe in.

let me get this stright, you call me names for being a christian and wanting to defend my religion.... real mature.

People keep calling me a clown for saying I will defend my religion' date=' then I am a freaking clown. B/c my religion is part of who I am. [/quote']

let me get this stright, you call me names for being a christian and wanting to defend my religion.... real mature.

Actually, you said people were calling you a clown. I said what you are saying is absurd. Perhaps there seems to be little difference to you, but I do not believe the actions define the man. But then, that's neither here nor there.

What I am trying to get across to you is that you are claiming to be a disciple of Jesus of Nazareth, who preached the above (in other words: pacifism, no matter what. Like Ghandi and Martin Luthor King, Jr). At the same time, you are showing yourself to be a person who does NOT follow those teachings.

I'm not calling you names, just pointing out your own hypocrisy.

i do agree that religion does more damage than good, but it seems u r all forgetin that the future depends on the past. Although we r modernised now, we should take heed of the early teachings - to ignore it would be foolish. Also religion brought order to chaos, which has helped to bring about, this modern world in the first place. All that is needed is the containment of religion, to let it operate within its boundaries, abolishing of it would not be wise plus it might destabilise and destroy humanity as we know it.