What web browser do you use?

TetsuoShima

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm...well you'd be surprised how much better Opera is compared to IE 6 - i would rather have sticked with IE 6 because i knew it best but after trying Opera it was immediatly clear how much slower it was - try Opera! :cyclops:

I use FF because of the extensions but have Opera for my kids for an extra security edge. If I could customize Opera like FF' date=' I'd consider a switch because it does come up faster.[/quote']

Opera allows you to completely customize every menu, toolbar, and button. To customize toolbars, right click and select "Customize". To change menus or keyboard commands, go to Preferences, Advanced, Toolbars / Shortcuts. There are also a number of websites which provide pre-made custom toolbars/menus.

I've been using IE6 a lot lately. Seems that no matter what plug ins I install for Opera and Fire Fox, they can never open up embedded video on pages.

Granted, the alternative browsers DO have a lot or really cool features, I'm more interested in using a browser that is practical, and works, as opposed to one that has cool skinning features, tabbed browsing, and a built in IRC client, RSS feed reader, and other stuff I'd never use.

I use FireFox 1.5 - but use Opera as a 'backup'.

Firefox does become unstable with some extensions conflicting with others - but mine's fine at the moment. I understand why people use Opera, because i think Opera and FireFox are equally great browsers. I just prefer the Firefox interface, and i am used to it.

I have no respect for IE 6, have tried IE7 of a friend's laptop - hated it. Sorry Microsoft.

I've been using IE6 a lot lately. Seems that no matter what plug ins I install for Opera and Fire Fox, they can never open up embedded video on pages.

Granted, the alternative browsers DO have a lot or really cool features, I'm more interested in using a browser that is practical, and works, as opposed to one that has cool skinning features, tabbed browsing, and a built in IRC client, RSS feed reader, and other stuff I'd never use.

I'm using Fire Fox 1.5 now and I have no problems opening up embedded video clips on the pages. In fact, if I were to come across a video I couldn't open. Fire Fox prompts me to install the codecs and even provides a link to them directly. Never had a problem so far opening anything embedded.

It is, isn't it. Usage has grown since last time I looked (last year), if I remember correctly. It is more popular among people that know a thing or two about the net and has a very dedicated community that is somewhat succeeding in getting the less knowledgable people to use it too.

I just read a few things about FF2 and it looks like it's going to bring a few nice improvement by the 4th quarter.

Still, I'm running Opera now and am quite happy with it, given all the tests you see on the web (speed/security/critical bugs/...) I find it strange that not more people use it, since it beats the competition (for windows) in nearly every test out there. I guess people are simply not as efficiently promoting it. Anyway, as long as I'm happy with Opera, I see no reason to change.

i use firefox with all the extensions at home' date=' i use Opera@USB at school, gets round the security stuff. however, on my pda, i use IE, just cause that's all i have. Are there many browsers for PDAs?[/quote']

There is Opera Mobile, check out their site. You can use it on you mobile phone too!