Pegasus ID number

halojones

I say it was replaced. Ship A is the flagship of the fleet, the biggest, the strongest, our best. Ship A grows old over the years and a new stronger bigger design is made. Ship A then becomes decommissioned, and Ship B takes over as flagship for Ship A, whereas Ship B then retains certain characteristics. Much like how say, the Enterprise has had various encarnations and minor changes to class/designation, Battlestars are probably the same.

It makes no sense to me either.

One explanation of registry numbers I have states that "Registry Numbers are the order in which a vessel was procured, not constructed." So you could have a few completed battlestars which may get procured by the government in a different order than which they were completed so this would be reflected in the registry numbers.

This explanation came from Galactica blueprints from the 1978 show, so obviously RDM can do what he wants with the numbers in TNS. Which he has because in TOS the Pegasus was BSC-067 not BSG-62 (it is definitely BSG not BSP).

On a side note can anyone confirm that BSC (BattleStarCarrier) was used in TOS? I have it all on DVD but have not had the time to watch through it all to check :)

I believe that there may yet be brothers of man...sorry, I believe that the Pegasus is a different class of BattleStar, so this would explain the ID #, Galatica would have to be one of the "newer" old Battlestars to still be servicable and Pegasus would be a new

class battlestar so the IDs would have no direct correlation.

Maybe it's a division number

Pegasus might be part of the 62nd Battlegroup and Galactica part of the 75th.

Say for example the 'Achilles' (completely made up example name) was a sister ship to the Galactica - both the old model - but was part of the 62nd division. It is destroyed for whatever reason (accident, battle, natural disaster) and a new ship is brought in to replace it in that same division so the 62nd gets a brand new ship, Pegasus, while the 75th stilll gets by with the older model, Galactica.

If newer designs are availbale would you keep making older models and bearing in mind the beurocracy during peacetime they wouldn't replace military hardware that still worked.