Overseas DVDs

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

I do a bit of shopping on Ebay now and then for Star Trek collectibles, DVDs, etc. Today I came across a seller's store offering huge price reductions on complete seasons of Voy, TNG, DS9, ENT and TOS. The prices look too good to pass up.

Good DVD <-- name of the store (really) :p

Anyone have any experience in this area they'd care to share?

c4 :thinking:

By copies do you mean, multiple sets of the same stock or copies as in burnt copies? Like, if I walked into a store and there were two official "copies" of DS9 season 1, but if I walked into a pawn shop and there was 1 DS9 set and then 1 "set" of dvd'rw's burnt next to it in a crappy fan-made box?

I ask cause if they are just burnt copies, does this guy (or even eBay) think he can get away with charging retail price for at the most, $5 or $10 worth of blank dvd's burnt with Star Trek?

Guest c4evap

I'm just leary of losing my hard earned $$$. Mom always said "if it seems too good to be true it usually is!"

c4 B)

C4Evap... I have ALOT of experience in buying DVD's on Ebay as I bought all 7 seasons of Voyager over a 4 month period. Here is the skinny:

1) MOST of the DVD's you see will be copied versions. These are from China or Hong Kong and are generally referred to as the "Asia Collector Edition". From what I understand these play well, but are copies. They have Chinese handwriting on the cover. I have a friend who bought them and was happy withg them, but I dont know anything else about them.

2) You CAN get the real DVD's for good prices (aprox $40 - $60) but you have to look around for them. Generally they are used, or have a small defect. i.e. My Voyager Season 7 has the bottom of the plastic cut. I just taped it and am very happy with it.

3) To do a search for the real (in the store - R1) versions do the following: Click on Advanced Search -- Then do a search for "Star Trek Season" .. exclude the words, "asia" "china" "collector"... then choose to show only the items sold in the USA. When you run the search you will get, for the large majority, the actual product.

4) Another thing whcih helps is to do a search only for "Buy It Now" items. This is generally where you are going to get your good deals. I ended up getting the original (in the store) DVD's of Season 1, 2, & 3 of Voyager for $60!! They were used, but you couldn't even tell.

5) You just have to check every day. From my experience TNG seasons rarely show up for cheap prices, but Voyager shows up a lot.

Good luck.

Yep, if it's original, it's not going to be cheap. The dvds with good prices are from China and they're pretty good copies but you don't get the official packaging, etc.

It's very very cheap though. So it's not really a problem unless you want to collect the originally released boxset.

EDIT: I don't shop at ebay though, don't trust em anymore.

Guest c4evap
C4Evap... I have ALOT of experience in buying DVD's on Ebay as I bought all 7 seasons of Voyager over a 4 month period. Here is the skinny:

1) MOST of the DVD's you see will be copied versions. These are from China or Hong Kong and are generally referred to as the "Asia Collector Edition". From what I understand these play well, but are copies. They have Chinese handwriting on the cover. I have a friend who bought them and was happy withg them, but I dont know anything else about them.

2) You CAN get the real DVD's for good prices (aprox $40 - $60) but you have to look around for them. Generally they are used, or have a small defect. i.e. My Voyager Season 7 has the bottom of the plastic cut. I just taped it and am very happy with it.

3) To do a search for the real (in the store - R1) versions do the following: Click on Advanced Search -- Then do a search for "Star Trek Season" .. exclude the words, "asia" "china" "collector"... then choose to show only the items sold in the USA. When you run the search you will get, for the large majority, the actual product.

4) Another thing whcih helps is to do a search only for "Buy It Now" items. This is generally where you are going to get your good deals. I ended up getting the original (in the store) DVD's of Season 1, 2, & 3 of Voyager for $60!! They were used, but you couldn't even tell.

5) You just have to check every day. From my experience TNG seasons rarely show up for cheap prices, but Voyager shows up a lot.

Good luck.

Thank you for the info! I'll give it a try.

c4 B)

Guest c4evap
Yep, if it's original, it's not going to be cheap. The dvds with good prices are from China and they're pretty good copies but you don't get the official packaging, etc.

It's very very cheap though. So it's not really a problem unless you want to collect the originally released boxset.

EDIT: I don't shop at ebay though, don't trust em anymore.

What happened to you at Ebay?

c4 :thinking:

I buy all sorts of stuff on Ebay. I've had a couple of possible bad situations, but the people handled it well and I was refunded my money. No problem. The main thing is look at peoples feedback and see what kind of person they are... if they sell volume... etc...

c4 B)

Let us know if you get something!

On a side note: I still say that the DS9 Seasons at costco.com are as cheap as anything you'll find on Ebay (aprox. $45 a season).

Bu if i know you... you are all about the Voyager! (Which I am to!) :D Good luck!

Guest c4evap

c4 B)

Let us know if you get something!

On a side note: I still say that the DS9 Seasons at costco.com are as cheap as anything you'll find on Ebay (aprox. $45 a season).

Bu if i know you... you are all about the Voyager! (Which I am to!) :D Good luck!

Unlikly as it might sound - I also like ENT (guess I'm drawn to the darker side of Trek). I won a bidding war on Ebay by sneaking in at the last 15 seconds with the winning bid. All 4 seasons for $153.00 (incluses tax and shipping). It is an all-american manufactured complete set. I had purchased Voyager (the China set) but cancelled the order due to the seller getting in trouble with Ebay for some sort of copyright violation. He had a shjt fit but finally refunded my $$$.

c4 B)

Just found these DVDs listed (USED) on Ebay. Is this deal to good to be true or what? Bootlegs?

Complete TOS 1-3 + 10 Star Trek movies on DVD

c4 B) ~ Inquiring minds want to know ~

They look pretty suspect... plus the seller has sold only 5 things... AND has only been registered for a very short time (thus the gold person next to his name). I wouldnt trust these to be real... I wouldnt even trust them to be real bootlegs... but you can always email him and ask.

Guest c4evap

I did. He still hasn't answered. I won't be buying from him. Hopefully, my ENT set will be here any day now.

c4 :D