Want HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? Better read this first...

ceedj

Next-Gen DVD Copy-Protection Debacle

Hollywood screws 3 million HDTV owners, sucks in general.

by Gerry Block

February 24, 2006 - In perhaps the greatest disservice to the general consumer market yet perpetrated by players in the electronic entertainment industry, it has been revealed that next-generation DVD technologies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will only function with monitors and HDTVs with HDMI or DVI connections.

Here's the rest of the two page article.

Basically, if you have an HDTV without HDMI or DVI and you want HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, well the MPAA says FU! Buy a new TV. I know several people who have the older HDTV models, and I'm sure they're not going to want to upgrade again. Personally, I'm happy with my 19" CRT TV, and see no reason to jump on this HD-bandwagon.

Tell people not to stand for this and encourage them NOT to buy HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. This is the ONLY way to send a message to these corporate jackasses.

That's like saying I shouldn't buy a DVD player with optical outs because I haven't yet gotten a digital reciever. Just because I don't have the ability to go digital doesn't mean it can't be used on analog equipment. And suppose I decide to go with a digital reciever in the future? Why not have eqipment that can do both when I upgrade my other components?

As stated in the article, it's more about DRM than it is about connectivity. They're alienating a huge chunk of people who may be interested in the HD/Blu media now, but don't want to upgrade thier TV/Projectors yet. Hell, I'm interested in the media because of the space. 25-50GB of data on a single disc? Hell yeah!