the nature of humans

maverick

i ahve at one time or another on this board rattled on about the inability of humans to move on in the world and find peace. my theory is that unless human nature can change then is a trek type future possible.

what do we do wrong?

why do we do it?

can we change?

what have we learned but do not pay attention to?

are we takin the right course in behavin as we are?

in the west. are we on the right side? (i.e. are our causes just?)

what battles should we be fighting and how do we stop doin it all wrong, if indeed we are doin it wrong?

have a good day

Guest c4evap

The human race is doomed to repeat it's mistakes (IMHO). The more things change, the more they remain the same...

c4 :thinking:

Star Trek represented a rather unrealistic transition, a lot of the time they just go "Oh, well - space travel and then everything became ok!"

And then we're supposed to be believe that somehow hardwired instinct forged by thousands of generations of evolution(or God's shoddy workmanship if you're a creationist) are basically magically going to disappear because we can whiz through space faster than light?

Of course, it represents an ideaological aspiration more than anything.

But yes, I agree with c4evap. Humanity isn't changing and shows that demonstrate that are far more interesting to watch. Sure it would be nice to think that humanity could improve but really, despite the ebb and flow of civilisation, the liberalisation of many countries, human rights etc. fundamentally, very little has changed.

People still do bad things to one another etc. There's no reason to believe that one day that will magically change.

They never stopped murder and robbery in the world of Star Trek on an individual basis as it did occur and usually when different species met, culturally, in the Federation it seemed to be a non-entity though. Perhaps, it was just easier to do without those things with no money and social changes making most crimes of passion simply impossible or unnecessary?

Evolution seems to be the only logical method of things changing for humanity but prayer has been known to work.

They're a race of nutters, obviously.

I do think that the reason there was so little crime in the federation, was because there was no real advantage to theft, which there is at this point in time. When you look at Trek Earth, the people there are all on the same level, so there isn't any real need for theft.

I suppose people just don't get into crime on Earth, but I'm sure crimes of passion, such as murders or violence in a flash of rage are still possible in the Trek Earth. These would be quite rare though.

Also, with people not getting on to the sliperly slope of social decline there would be no people, which there are now, who either steal for a living, or because they're disadvantaged etc.

interestinly the crime rates are never reported and the average federation citizen is not given air time. the closest i can think of is bashir's dad who goes to prison for having bashir genetically enahanced.

maybr everything is free but its not just posessions that make a crook a crook. thats why i brought up human nature

some people may simply be pre-disposed to become a criminal

If you're predisposed to be a crook, doing it within the Federation probably isn't the best idea, you head out, where law ia probably less well enforced, and where you can inflict proper damage.

Steal something on Earth, oh well, they replace it, minor inconvenience. Crime is about power as much as possesions.

The star trek world is not a world of peace anyway the klingon/romulan/human empires seem to be constantly at war. Given all the advances of science and technology their is still some entity or another that is determined to destroy any peace for its own betterment. I suppose however that star trek would not be so good if lasers were never fired off and treaties werent broken. Star trek is cowboys in space when it comes down to it. Personally i hope that the future of humanity is not like gene roddenbury's view of it. If humanity is to progress beyond killing and mindless destruction then our suspicions towards our fellow men would be a starting place.

anyone prepared to have tea with osama bin laden maybe he will forgive our western ways and we can become good friends.

We all have a very very long way to go. I do believe the future will be better but i for one will not be holding my breath.

Star Trek tried to have its cake and eat it... IMO it failed.

You essentially had on one hand the Federation - Earth specifically - being portrayed as a paradise and of course the Federation being inherently pacificist... which makes it amusing that they seem to have had wars with every single one of their neighbours at least twice.

Additionally Megalith - a few members of the USA's current administration have had tea and cakes with Osama. Things aren't too cosy now though.

The human race is doomed to repeat it's mistakes (IMHO). The more things change, the more they remain the same...

c4 :thinking:

I agree, and the more things that change, there is just that many more things that can go wronge.

I mean, not even the trek world is perfect. Ever watch the eps of DS9 "in pale moonlight" where sisko brings the romulans into the war. He was arguing the finner points of morality aginst the survial of the federation, and he chose to save the federation.

Its in our nature to do what we think is best. And what is always best is not what we always think is best.