We are the Borg

TetsuoShima

European researchers are taking brain research to the next level by connecting individual neurons with silicon chips.

The researchers, with the help of Infineon, created a 1mm2 microchip with 16,384 transistors and a few hundred capacitors. Next, proteins which are normally found in the the brain were used as an "adhesive" to connect individual neurons to the microchip.

The proteins allowed the neuro-chip's electronic components and its living cells to communicate with each other. Electrical signals from neurons were recorded using the chip's transistors, while the chip's capacitors were used to stimulate the neurons.

Complete article: http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060327_neuro_chips.html

Hehe, I can imagine this technology leading to some very interesting applications in the long run.... :)

Nice, I'll be the first to get an harddisk extension for my brain..... I just hate it when I forget stuff..... And well p2ping your brain is an lot more fun :) Ever wondered what the guy next to you is thinking??? Hack into his wireless connection and download his brains :p

that's some full on stuff. Imagine if they enhanced our brains so that we could remember every single details of events.....would we want that? we might become detached from the emotions that normally mark events in our memories and end up somewhat...borg. This would probably also adversly affect how we normally deal with traumatic and intense experiences. I hear this detachment from emotions is common for people who have photographic memories.

What sort of benefits are there for having neurons in a computer, I guess it would require less power to run, but would it be faster? and would it be able to create new links or repair damage....now that would be cool :D Although I'm sure someone could cite more than one sci fi story where this has gone wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So - can we then envision a future where EVEN DATA STORED IN OUR BRAINS (ie memory) falls within the purvue (sp?) of "Digital Rights Management"?

"You may only think this another 3 times before this memory will be deleted.

Thank you for thinking our thoughts."

LOL

What about the more obvious threat envisioned in Ghost In The Shell' date=' of the "ghost hack" - where your brain is hacked and your body sequestered, possibly without you even knowing it.[/quote']

cybernetic body snatchers? what would they do, hold your body for ransom? go for joyrides around the city?

• 2 weeks later...
There's always a downside.

yeah... imagine that the only thing you can see is a BSOD... especially if using Microsoft BrainDows... time to use Brainux instead or BrainOS X. LOL :D

too bad id someone hacked into your brain and made a format C: on it like this:

format C:

ALL memories will be erased, do you want to continue (Y/N)

Y

formatting... 100%

you are now a drooling vegetable...

hope that dosn't happen...