Bringing Life to Mars

VonHelton

Would be a rather hot soup wouldnt it?

Yes.

Eventually the orbit would decay & the ship would burn up.

.....But, that may not happen for weeks or months......Maybe even years.

:stare:

In other words: we dont know enough to start estimating or speculating or giving acurate simulations of possible outcomes

----

right?

In other words: we dont know enough to start estimating or speculating or giving acurate simulations of possible outcomes.

On the contrary.......I have a pretty good idea.

Jupiter is an excellent example of why our starships should have multiple types of engines.

The standard booster type rocket engines we use now would have 2 possibilities:

1. The rockets would be too weak. Instead of breaking free, our attempt would actually lower us deeper into orbit.

2. The rockets would be too strong, and rip the ship apart as we broke loose from Jupiter.

......I have no idea what Jupiter's gravity might do to a nuclear engine, and I'm not sure I want to find out!!

Ion engines, by contrast, gradually build up in power. Gradually enough that the ship probably would endure the stress.

.....But the engines would need to be pretty big. Not as big as Galactia's, but pretty good size.

Eventually, we'd break free & head for home.

In other words: we dont know enough to start estimating or speculating or giving acurate simulations of possible outcomes.

On the contrary.......I have a pretty good idea.

Jupiter is an excellent example of why our starships should have multiple types of engines.

The standard booster type rocket engines we use now would have 2 possibilities:

1. The rockets would be too weak. Instead of breaking free, our attempt would actually lower us deeper into orbit.

2. The rockets would be too strong, and rip the ship apart as we broke loose from Jupiter.

......I have no idea what Jupiter's gravity might do to a nuclear engine, and I'm not sure I want to find out!!

Ion engines, by contrast, gradually build up in power. Gradually enough that the ship probably would endure the stress.

.....But the engines would need to be pretty big. Not as big as Galactia's, but pretty good size.

Eventually, we'd break free & head for home.

Sounds like a gamble...

Ion engines don't buid up in power. They produce the same power in a linear manner. The ship will continue to accelerate the longer the engines run' date=' but it's a slow process.[/quote']

Ok, I said wrong, but the effect on the ship is the same.

As for stopping, that's what breaking thrusters are for.

:)

Sounds like a gamble...

Yep, it would be.

It takes 6.5 G's to break free of Earth's gravity. Considering Jupiter's size, I'd say it would take the eqivalent of .........30 G's?

50 G's?

......It would be a high number, for sure.

:(

Wow' date=' with that kind of gravity we'll need to actually invent "Inrtial dampers" before we can go there.[/quote']

It may be possible to "slingshot" around Jupiter's gravity, but the risk of getting stuck is too great.

......Best to avoid gettig too close. We can have telescopes & cameras on board to take some pics.

:thinking:

Basic info about Jupiter:

Jupiter is a big ball of gas. Its diameter is 11.2 times that of Earth. Its mass is 317 times that of Earth. Its surface gravity is 2.36 times that of Earth.

Average distance from the Sun - 778,300,000 Km

Length of period round the Sun (Jupiter year) - 11.86 Earth years.

Rotation (Jupiter day) - 9 hours 50 mins (approx. the parts near the poles rotate a little bit slower than the equator)

Jupiter has 4 major satellites (moons) called Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. It also has lots of small satellites.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Jupiter

......36 G's.

Well, I was close.