pic(s) of your hometown

maverick

i thought it would be cool to supplement all the "getting to know you " threads with a thread where we all can tell a little about where we live.

i suppose where you are currently, or your home town, or both would do.

(toon army!!)

The city of Newcastle was founded at the lowest place the Tyne could be easily crossed. In 1080 the Normans built a wooden fort to safeguard the crossing. They also erected a wooden bridge. (The 'new castle' was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century). Soon a little town grew up in the shadow of the new castle and was named after it. In the Middle Ages towns often grew up by castles because the garrisons provided a market for the townspeople's goods.

Newcastle prospered partly because of the wars between the English and the Scots. There was much traffic through Newcastle and travellers spent money there.

i love the feel of newcastle. i love the buildings and the sense of history.

just cant stand the bloody weather.

I love Tyneside, probably because Im a Scotsman living in England since I was 18, 20 years ago, damn that means Im more English than Scot now lol. Between York in 1985-1987 then Bath 1987-1988, back to York for Winter then Derbyshire/Windsor/Slough 1989-1990, then Leeds for winters 1990-1992 with Spring-Autumn in Betws-Y-Coed North Wales, settling in Leeds from 1992-1997 back to York 1997-2005 and here I am in Leeds again, we Scots are supposed to be famous for travelling hehe! Heres a Google Earth pic of my house/street! Dont come a knockin! :)

Guest c4evap

Beautiful Gardiner, NY USA

prop7295_35259.jpg

RoadFieldTree.jpg

Rainbow.JPEG

fun_0004.jpg

Not much to do/see here. Quiet town. I believe I'm the wildest thing around these parts!

c4 B)

Well, I can`t say that where I live is anywhere near as historical or exiting as Newcastle, but here goes.

As far as I can find out Peacehaven was founded in about 1916 by some guy who bought the land and started to section it up into plots. He gave one plot away to the winner of a competition to name this new town. The winning name was New-Anzac-on-Sea, named after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, as many of them settled round these parts after WW I. The name didn`t stick and Peacehaven was born a year later.

We are the most southern point of the UK where to Meridian line hits the Channel, not far from my flat. oooh!

Gracie Fields lived here for a bit.

Lots of chalk cliffs, which I have abseiled off.

I have only lived here a few years but I did grow up next door in a town called Newhaven. (bit more historical, might tell you all about it later.)

I suppose I can`t really complain as being on the coast the air is clean and north of the town is miles of countryside, which I have yomped around for many hours.

Heres some pics.

B)

Not much to do/see here. Quiet town. I believe I'm the wildest thing around these parts![/color

I could think of plenty to do with what you have between you legs!

Quiet town or not!!!!!

Pip

I was on about the BIKE.

For those of you outside the UK I'll give you a few pointers .

Kent is the GARDEN of England

(only cos the lazy Southern B******s couldn't get up to the Fylde coast where the gulf stream- makes growing ideal!) (Kent is famous for it's hops)(Hops = alcohol)

Lancashire(my county) famous for cotton

Yorkshire (t'other side oth''ill) famous for wool

Nottinham. Well Lace lovie!(and of courese the Sherriff and Robin Hood?)The've

beenrobbin tourists for years!

ENOUGH of that though.

Can I come and live with you E4 I'd love a quiet life!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i live in england by the sea nowadays this is where i spend my teenage years then i moved away but am back here again. Probably the only interesting thing about west kirby is that Julius caesar stayed here when he visited england its on the west coast so you can watch the sun set into the sea.

I forgot to add(for those of you outsidethe UK)

Scousers are Englishmen with THEIR brains kicked out!tain

HEHEHEHE! ;) ;) :p B)

btw I don't have any photo's but anyone interested can go here.

http://www.horwich.gov.uk/landmarks.html

OMG I fprgot

Geordies are Scotsmen with their brains kicked out!

Don't worry no offense taken (note sarcasm)

oldpeople.jpg

The old people that live across the road from me

island.jpg

One of the many islands in longbenton

i live in england by the sea nowadays this is where i spend my teenage years then i moved away but am back here again. Probably the only interesting thing about west kirby is that Julius caesar stayed here when he visited england its on the west coast so you can watch the sun set into the sea.

I forgot to add(for those of you outsidethe UK)

Scousers are Englishmen with THEIR brains kicked out!tain

HEHEHEHE! ;) ;) :p B)

A common misconception West Kirby is nothing to do with Kirkby in Liverpool any more perhaps then Northhampton and Southhampton, although It isnt far away. Technically it is in Cheshire, on a peninsula between Wales and Liverpool. I am a LFC fan (Liverpool football club in case anybody was curious) but i am not a scouser any more than you are a mancunian :P

OMG I fprgot

Geordies are Scotsmen with their brains kicked out!

Don't worry no offense taken (note sarcasm)

oldpeople.jpg

The old people that live across the road from me

island.jpg

One of the many islands in longbenton

you really live in longbenton?

is that one of those new houses near the metro lines??