Did NASA 'nuke' Jupiter?

MrDad

http://www.enterprisemission.com/NukingJupiter.html

When NASA announced its “Galileo into Jupiter†option, among those to publish immediate, serious objections was an engineer named Jacco van der Worp. Van der Worp claimed that, plunging into Jupiter’s deep and increasingly dense atmosphere, the on-board Galileo electrical power supply – a set of 144 plutonium-238 fuel pellets, arrayed in two large canister devices called “RTGs†(Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators – see image and schematic, below) – would ultimately “implodeâ€ÂÂ; that the plutonium Galileo carried would ultimately collapse in upon itself under the enormous pressures of Jupiter’s overwhelming atmosphereâ€â€Âtriggering a runaway nuclear explosion!

Lack of knowledge or simply a comet/an asteroid?

The "black" spot is very large indeed and even I can't imagine how much energy is needed "create" this "black" spot.

If I remember correctly the WWII bombs were in the 20-30 kiloton range. Speculating that the energy released by the "RTGs" were 100 times that (2-3 megatons). Comparing this insignificat energyrelease with the Shomaker-Levy fragment G which had an estimated release of 6.000.000 megatons. Then comparing the size of the black spot there's even more doubt, since the "RTGs" supposedly created 4-5 times larger "black" spots than Shomaker-Levys largest with less energy.

Good "story" tough. :)

As much as I do personally abhor France, I do fear that with the coming of summer, a tropical continental air mass would send most of the fallout over the channel to the UK, and I'll be damned if I condone the contamination of England's green and pleasant lands when the answer to the French Problem lies in the Common Agricultural Policy, not the nuclear weapon.