Changeling Assimilation?

Rubus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if it has a genetic structure that the Borg can modify... also, their liquid, amorphous form would be VERY badly suited to having electronic bits floating about within them... I'd say their physiology would simply be too different for the Borg to properly assimilate unless part of the assimilation process 'locked' them into place so that all those Borg parts could be anchored...

The borg have had difficulties with advanced biological lifeforms before, so I imagine that they would have problems with changelings too. As someone already said, the constantly changing nature of the changelings physiology would probably cause some problems for borg nanoprobes and implants. It's possible that injecting nanoprobes into changelings when they are in their liquid state would hurt them in some way, but I doubt that they would be fully assimilated. Nanoprobes are constant, changelings are not. So the borg technology couldn't "follow" the changlings into their new shapes. Following that line of reason, and the borg are somehow able to assimilate a changeling, it is possible that the changeling is somehow locked into the shape it was in when it was assimilated.

It's the kind of question that is probably most dependent on that ever fluctating universal constant, plot...

My opinion is that a changeling probably would be vulnerable in it's liquid state but might be able to eject the nanobots by changing.

It's the kind of question that is probably most dependent on that ever fluctating universal constant' date=' plot...[/quote']

As opposed to every other question that is brought up here you mean? Like the personality and mental capacities of fictional characters and such? ;)

That's a valid point Exterus but things like personalities tend to be more set in stone - but obviously given the fact that every captain - except Kirk, who was pretty much always a lecherous braggart - has had a few episodes of totally out of character behaviour... well.

The virus is a good point because, at a fundamental level, viruses are just biological nanobots... although the modus operandi of the two is clearly fundamentally different.

Although we don't know how effective the Changelings immune system is. In Enterprise - Phlox's immune system was able to hold off the nano probes for a while untill they could adapt - the changelings might have a much stronger immune system...

That's a valid point Exterus but things like personalities tend to be more set in stone - but obviously given the fact that every captain - except Kirk' date=' who was pretty much always a lecherous braggart - has had a few episodes of totally out of character behaviour... well.[/quote']

I believe you pretty much just confirmed my original assertation

If all the cells of a founder were assimilated then it wouldn't be anything like species 8472 - except insofar as the fact they didn't become drones.

Granted, a puddle of assimilated Founder cells may not be the most useful thing ever but who knows, give it time. Maybe it could become a ripoff of human form replicators.