Lawyer experiences

Beawulf

I had the joy of going to see a lawyer recently relating to a situation I had at work. The guy was completely useless, did virtually no work and gave terrible legal advice. I had looked around to try and find a good lawyer with good legal knowledge, asked others for recommendations but most were for settlement advice or relating to criminal law.

Thanks to the lawyer's "legal advice" things got a bit worse for me, unfortunately I cant go into any details but it involved a settlement of sorts in the end. I didnt go out of my way to ask for the lawyer's bill afterwards, and fortunately he never contacted me to settle the account ;)

Has anyone else had experience with lawyers, good or bad I'd be curious to hear about them.

What you should have done is gone to the courthouse and look at the case docket. If you see someone name pop up more than others, chances are they're a successful / popular attorney who knows what the hell they're doing.

I had the misfortune of getting a stupid attorney as well. He worked in the same law firm as the one I wanted to see, but since the other guy was on vacation or business, I went with his partner. Never should have done it. I filed a complaint with the board but they said he didn't do anything wrong by not "working hard enough" on my case.

I found lots of bad info about some lawyers on a website that keeps track of complaints. One of them was a former circuit judge who went back into law. Got fired perhaps? Midget sacks..

Things that would make court cases far more equitable for non-corporations (i.e. actual normal people):

1) There should be an upper limit to the cost of legal defence, and only one lawyer's involvement per case to prevent teams of corporate lawyers with infinite resources from gangpiling on people too poor to defend themselves.

2) There should be some sort of 'malpractice' standard for lawyers. If a doctor can be barred from practice for negligence and bad doctoring resulting in loss of life, why can't lawyers be barred from practice for negligence and bad lawyering resulting in shattered lives? If a lawyer 'just doesn't bother', they should be barred from practice.

3) 'Pro Bono' does not mean 'I don't have to do any work'. See #2.

Level playing field + requirement to actually try and do a good job = better justice for all.

Ive had goodluck with Lawyers

I Was in deep trouble in another country 'Canada' and a lawyer helped!

lots of problems here in the US and lawyers always came through for me except once. I cant really discuss the case but he cost me lots of money. I didnt hire him either, instead the lawyer i hired was so busy this moron took my case so i dont really consider it my mistake.