comparison: current times <-> middle ages

TetsuoShima

If you give it some though, how far do you think we have progressed since the middle ages as a people?

Sure we have made some real technological progress, but as far as a spread of power is concerned, we haven't progressed all that much imo. Sure we have democracy, and in theory that should spread power, but as we're seeing it only does so to a minimal degree. How often does it occur that an entire family is involved in politics? Much in the same way as it was 1000 years ago. Who's in charge? The people with money. Also as it was back then, only then they got money from power and now they get power from money. But since this money is carried over from generation to generation the same families stay in power, sure there is some change (usually due to their own stupidity that people with money loose it), but not to such an extend that I think we can say that things have gone through a major change. Only a small one. In fact, if you'd ask me, nearly all benefits we currently have in comparison to the middle ages are a direct result from the technological advances and as far the philosophical advances go, we only really have taken a very small step in comparison to the technological change.

What do you all think about this?

i see the question as: how have we developed as a people in terms of what in our nature or character has changed.

....and i think that very little has changed in terms of our nature.

some things have changed our world i.e. communication.

the difference that communication has made has made people accountable for their actions, promoted honesty and tried to ensure that laws, morals and folkways are maintained. though this may be easily disproved i can safely say that if you screw up, more people will know about it than in the middle ages.

this then begs the question, have we become more moralistic?

to truly answer that human nature must be assessed. how the hell is anyone gonna do that??? i cant but i dont think it has changed that much By Choice. i think that now people are more accountable for their actions that our behaviour may have changed but under that lies instinct and desire and though the have changed since the middle ages, instinct and desire havent changed that much

Heh... the only differences between now and the time of classical Rome and Greece are...

1) The majority don't have to worry daily about having their house raided by bandits... and sometimes when it does happen people don't have to make and present their case themselves!

2) Women have rights.

3) There are a whole lot more people.

4) The majority of civilized nations are steeped in a different religion than the ancient Greeks and Romans were.

5) Science and Philosophy / Metaphysics are no longer synonymous.

6) The bandits are typically a lot more organized and have far more power than they ever did before. Why raid their houses when you can make them give you their valuables through more civilized means?

7) Most nations don't keep 'slaves' per se... they're called 'minimum wage workers' now.

8) We can fight off disease with far better success... for the moment.

9) We have better technology... however, I seriously doubt the ancient peoples would have used it that differently than we use it now, had they had our levels of technology.

10) It is no longer socially acceptable for a nation to slaughter the men, woman, and children of towns and villages... unless they can do it without being noticed / in a way palatable to modern sensibilities / by 'accident'.

I dunno i think i would rather live in the middle ages, in terms of honor and respect, things now days are way to crazy, i mean take the bar for example, if someone says something to your girl and you stick up for her, look out, there will be like seven guys on top of you, and then you have to avoid that place for a few years or you'll get eight people on you instead of seven....and so on. things are just to crazy today, if i hade kids i'd go crazy every day they went to school, knowing wat i went threw i know that things only get worse as time goes on

middle ages>current times

back then there was romance and adventure!!!! all you have now is lawsuits and nuclear weapons!

Yeah, smallpox rules too. And besides...spaninq%20monty%20python.jpg

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

he might have a point' date=' imagine the health care??.....i break way to many bones[/quote'] You'd be in trouble, but then again this would be thought about more because people would understand it could be a death sentence. If you ever lost an appendage ie; arm or leg youd be the village bum. I suffer from allergies in the spring time and it's not like people had Benadryl back then. Your clothes wouldnt be as clean. You'd probably own a horse to get you from point A to point B and you'd certainly have to worry about highwaymen robbing you! Another thing you'd have to be really careful with whom you decided to have sexual relationships with because back then there wasnt a silver bullet.

Still if you were royalty life would be very good, as a peasant life would be sorta rough i would think.

middle ages>current times

back then there was romance and adventure!!!! all you have now is lawsuits and nuclear weapons!

Yeah, smallpox rules too. And besides...spaninq%20monty%20python.jpg

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Yea but im the type of person who would agree with whatever side is holding a sword to my head .......I totally support you and these people were losers etc. etc. believe me id make up a helluva story.......Such as these dirty heathens kidnapped me when i was a small girl and all i ever did was want to return to Spain and THANKYOU kind sirs now that you rescued me i can do just that.

Basically you have a gun/sword whatever i'll agree with anything you want. If accepting christianity keeps me alive well ive been a devout Christian my whole life. Same thing with the muslims, or whatever religion you want to cram down my throat at the time.

The reconquista of Spain lead to one of the greatest forcible conversions ever.

As to wanting to live in the Middle Ages - forget that. I imagine even the most impoverished member of the forum has, in many senses, a better standard of living than even the wealthiest and most powerful in the medieval world.

The rise of secularism is probably one of the greatest differences. However, fundamentally humans haven't changed - so, while things may have vastly improved for most people (in the West) in contrast to what they would have had 500+ years ago - things are still (in a sense) more or less the same, they've simply been dressed differently.